Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:49 AM

45,873 posts, read 27,514,441 times

Advertisements

State of the planet: It’s better than ever

Forty-five years ago when the first Earth Day was held, the catastrophe that awaited us was mass starvation, overpopulation, our supplies of oil and gas running on empty, and even a coming second ice age.

Every single one of those predictions was spectacularly wrong. The opposite occurred. But the doomsday machine rolls on. The declinism on the state of our planet and the well-being of our species permeates our schools, our churches, our malls, radio, TV, the Internet and our whole culture.

Six things from the article on why we are better off now.

1- natural resources are more abundant and affordable today than ever before in history.
2- energy resources are growing. Energy is the master resource, and it is super-abundant.
3- air and water are cleaner than ever.
4- there is no Malthusian nightmare of overpopulation. Birth rates have fallen by about one-half around the world over the last 50 years.
5- global per capita food production is 40 percent higher today than as recently as 1950.
6- the rate of death and physical destruction from natural disasters or severe weather changes has plummeted over the last century.

The way I see it, we seem to be a bigger threat to ourselves than the weather that God controls.

Or we could look at it and say that these Earth Day events have been successful. Things are better now. Yay. Of course, you can't take advantage of people when there is no crisis - so this viewpoint will not work.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:06 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,052,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
State of the planet: It’s better than ever

Forty-five years ago when the first Earth Day was held, the catastrophe that awaited us was mass starvation, overpopulation, our supplies of oil and gas running on empty, and even a coming second ice age.

Every single one of those predictions was spectacularly wrong. The opposite occurred. But the doomsday machine rolls on. The declinism on the state of our planet and the well-being of our species permeates our schools, our churches, our malls, radio, TV, the Internet and our whole culture.

Six things from the article on why we are better off now.

1- natural resources are more abundant and affordable today than ever before in history.
2- energy resources are growing. Energy is the master resource, and it is super-abundant.
3- air and water are cleaner than ever.

4- there is no Malthusian nightmare of overpopulation. Birth rates have fallen by about one-half around the world over the last 50 years.
5- global per capita food production is 40 percent higher today than as recently as 1950.
6- the rate of death and physical destruction from natural disasters or severe weather changes has plummeted over the last century.

The way I see it, we seem to be a bigger threat to ourselves than the weather that God controls.

Or we could look at it and say that these Earth Day events have been successful. Things are better now. Yay. Of course, you can't take advantage of people when there is no crisis - so this viewpoint will not work.
To number 1-uhhhh...noo.... I don't even feel like I have to argue this because it's so obviously falst

To number 2-This is kind of a catch 22, the technology is there for new sources of energy, but big business has such a hold over what is used and what isn't that we're constantly stuck using fossil fuels, which are diminishing and which are harmful to earths atmosphere.

To number 3-I know first hand number 3 is incredibly wrong. The difference in the river that runs through my city from when I was a kid 20 years ago and now is depressing, and that's just 20 years. Pollution is at an all time high.

To number 4- What? what in the hell!? in 1950 the world pop was 2.5 bil, now it's 7 bil... yea...overpopulation is a HUUUGE issue.

Just keep telling yourself everything is alright, your sources are garbage.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
To number 4- What? what in the hell!? in 1950 the world pop was 2.5 bil, now it's 7 bil... yea...overpopulation is a HUUUGE issue.
Fact Sheet: The Decline in U.S. Fertility

Europe birth rates 'have fallen' since economic crisis

Dropping birth rates threaten global economic growth

We are talking rates here - not raw numbers. In other words it's a slow down in the growth of people born.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
To number 3-I know first hand number 3 is incredibly wrong. The difference in the river that runs through my city from when I was a kid 20 years ago and now is depressing, and that's just 20 years. Pollution is at an all time high.
E.P.A. Calls U.S. Cleaner and Greener Than 30 Years Ago

America's air is getting cleaner, which doesn't just mean a healthier public -- it also saves the U.S. billions of dollars

Urban air cleaner than ever: EPA

You may want to tell your city that they are falling behind in cleaning up their water. Better yet - call CNN and tell them you are having a water crisis.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,859,461 times

Old 04-28-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
To number 1-uhhhh...noo.... I don't even feel like I have to argue this because it's so obviously falst
Shale oil and shale gas resources are globally abundant

Jack Gerard delivers 2015 State of American Energy address

The fact is fossil fuels will continue to take the lead in providing most of the world’s energy needs well into this century.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that 25 years from now, oil, natural gas and coal, collectively will account for 80 percent of the country’s energy consumption.

That same report estimates that renewable energy sources will grow to 12 percent of our energy mix, with the remaining 8 percent coming from nuclear power. Even under their most aggressive scenario, fossil fuels still account for 65 percent of our energy needs.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:32 PM

4,475 posts, read 3,328,786 times
Quote:
The entire population of the world could fit comfortably in the state of Texas with each person getting over 1,000 square feet. Then the entire rest of the world could be one giant park.

https://overpopulationisamyth.com/ov...king-of-a-myth

So no, not a huuuuge issue.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Just keep telling yourself everything is alright, your sources are garbage.
You mentioned something about garbage - that would be your uninformed post.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM

23,706 posts, read 17,381,018 times
"The Rumors of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated." said the earth.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:55 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,251,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The entire population of the world could fit comfortably in the state of Texas with each person getting over 1,000 square feet. Then the entire rest of the world could be one giant park.

https://overpopulationisamyth.com/ov...king-of-a-myth

So no, not a huuuuge issue.

I agree that overpopulation is largely a myth. But the example in the video is poor. We couldn't all live in Texas, because we couldn't grow a year's worth of food from that 1,000 square feet. Let alone the fact that to build our homes we would need wood(among many other things). Then there is technology, transportation, etc.

With that said, there have been plenty of calculations on the potential for the Earth to sustain life. Primarily that potential is derived from the relative access to food.

Depending on the structure of society, the types of foods we eat, our material standard-of-living, and access to things like fertilizers. The maximum population of the world would vary from about one billion, all the way up to something like 300 billion.

The one billion is if we stopped using fertilizers for food, and ran out of oil(forcing us to use trees for energy). While trying to keep a very "American" standard-of-living around the world.

The 300 billion would require us to reclaim effectively every piece of land possible for growing food(IE all the forests). It would also require us all to be vegetarians, and to eat a rather restricted diet of only the most productive plants. Plus, we would have to minimize as much as possible our transportation infrastructure, and increase the efficiency of cities(IE huddle most people into high-rise apartment buildings).

It speculates the number could be even higher if you could either reclaim part of the ocean(through geo-engineering), or to better manage the world's oceans as if they were farmland.

To me, the issue is less about maximum theoretical population, its more about "freedom".

It is hard to imagine a free world when its nothing but heavily managed agriculture and high-rise apartment buildings. And at some point, the government will have to regulate reproduction. Even in benign ways like through the tax code(IE China's one-child policy).

Sounds ****ty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies