Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I see my point when over your head, minimum wage didn't kill the CD Music store industry, technology did. Same goes for books and comic books. It is funny how you guys like to ignore that fact while clamoring for businesses to pay American workers as little as possible.
They aren't dead though. There are still stores. But they have very thin profit margins.

If the owner is smart he'll give up his brick and mortar and move his shop "online".

Just like any business..reduce your expenses to maintain your profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:05 PM

7,526 posts, read 5,768,086 times
Quote:
The digital age has done morw damage to bookstores and comic books than the minimum wage does. Also, I believe Borderlands isn't closing now.
And the moonbats come out to justify failed policies based on things that may or may never happen. The fact is $15.00 an hour kills small businesses. It was pushed by moonbats and the people loosing their jobs have moonbats to thank.

Pretty simple isn't it? At least once you blow through all the smoke and B.S. justifications right?

Old 05-02-2015, 02:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,229,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
You leftists make me laugh. If it wasn't minimum wage that killed these businesses why are they closing now and not before minimum wage was raised?

Don't bother attempting to answer.
Then you are choosing to ignore simple business knowledge. If demand goes down and cost of business goes up, the business fails. But a business can also fail if demand drops too much to support itself. But you keep thinking if only American could be paid pennies on the dollar that these poor businesses would be able to stay in business.

Here is an idea for you, if you want a business to survive, spend more money at that business.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They aren't dead though. There are still stores. But they have very thin profit margins.

If the owner is smart he'll give up his brick and mortar and move his shop "online".

Just like any business..reduce your expenses to maintain your profit.
Thanks to technology, that is the way most comic book and bookstores are going. Powell's Books is one of the biggest online supply stores for Amazon and their book sales.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
And the moonbats come out to justify failed policies based on things that may or may never happen. The fact is $15.00 an hour kills small businesses. It was pushed by moonbats and the people loosing their jobs have moonbats to thank.

Pretty simple isn't it? At least once you blow through all the smoke and B.S. justifications right?
And the cost of living in SF is? A small business that can only pay employees a couple bucks couldn't afford to survive in SF anyway, the increase of minimum wage doesn't matter.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
And the cost of living in SF is? A small business that can only pay employees a couple bucks couldn't afford to survive in SF anyway, the increase of minimum wage doesn't matter.
Don't be so quick to dismiss it.

They did exist. They were surviving in SF.

And and increase in min wage does matter.

With SF it's going to be the increased min wage that breaks their backs.

There's a lot of small mom and pops that had to close/relocate in Austin. Being a hot city the taxes and rents went sky high.
And most people find comfort in chain stores rather then the single mom and pop they never heard of before.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:27 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,338,258 times
Quote:
Oh, I know, businesses should be free to pay employees as little as they want, even if they run a business in a shrinking industry. You know, minimum wage increases is what led to the death of the CD Music stores too.
You really don't understand business at all, do you. Wages are market driven. If a company doesn't want to pay the rate that is determined by the market for a given job, they will have a very hard time finding qualified employees, if they can get anyone to work for them at all. Really, I doubt that there is any business that would pay less than the market rate for a position. Some may pay more. But no one is dumb enough to pay less. They aren't going to be in business very long that way.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You really don't understand business at all, do you. Wages are market driven. If a company doesn't want to pay the rate that is determined by the market for a given job, they will have a very hard time finding qualified employees, if they can get anyone to work for them at all. Really, I doubt that there is any business that would pay less than the market rate for a position. Some may pay more. But no one is dumb enough to pay less. They aren't going to be in business very long that way.
That trend is changing though with mandated min wage laws.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:32 PM

45,647 posts, read 27,268,345 times
When liberal policies smack people upside the head... you get this...

Hibbs says that the $15-an-hour minimum wage will require a staggering $80,000 in extra revenue annually. “I was appalled!” he says. “My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.”

and this...

Although all of us at Borderlands support the concept of a living wage in princip[le] and we believe that it’s possible that the new law will be good for San Francisco — Borderlands Books as it exists is not a financially viable business if subject to that minimum wage. Consequently we will be closing our doors no later than March 31st.

Here's my problem with liberals.

If they are so in favor of living wages... why do they need the government to tell them to pay a living wage? Why wasn't the comic book store paying $15/hr from the start?

Liberal business owners are free to pay higher wages at any time.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:32 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,338,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And people should be able to sell their labor for as much or little as they can. Politicians have no business dictating anyones pay.
Your CD analogy is more idiocy
A self employed person has that kind of freedom. One who is employed by someone else, does not. Unless, they are highly qualified, with exceptional skills, and great recommendations, then they might be able to negotiate a higher wage or salary than that being offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies