Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is America OFFICIALLY IN a Recession Now?
Yes......Definitely 26 52.00%
Not Yet......but likely will be soon 17 34.00%
No.......not at all 7 14.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:50 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Though it is a bit early it appears likely we are entering or in a recession. I don't see that as an incredibly remarkable event, we've had quite a few of them during my lifetime.

I recall at least four major recessions the past 35 years (since I started investing) and this current period seems to be falling into some of the similar patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Yeah, a recession needs correction. You simply don't let it go on its un-merry way. The problem I see with this recession than any of the other recession is that there is a HIGH likelihood of going into a depression...

Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
To be a recession, we must have 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Therefore, no, officially we are not in a recession. In fact, the economy is still growing, without even 1 quarter being negative.
Ok then, is the glass half empty or is the glass half full?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Yeah, a recession needs correction. You simply don't let it go on its un-merry way. The problem I see with this recession than any of the other recession is that there is a HIGH likelihood of going into a depression...
I don't see that happening, the world economy is actually chugging along at a good pace and the international interdependencies should help mitigate the downturn.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
To be a recession, we must have 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Therefore, no, officially we are not in a recession. In fact, the economy is still growing, without even 1 quarter being negative.
Yes, but unfortunately, there are not very many people who can see their own economies going anywhere exept into the toilet. The nation can manipulate the figures any way they like, the fact is that most people, maybe nearly all of them, are now living in a personal economic depression.

Last year, wages went up 0.9% while the prices of just about everything went up an average of 4%, not even counting ballooning mortgage and skyrocketing health care. If you are an average workers and consumer, that looks a lot to me like four consecutive quarters of negative growth, and in fact there have probably been about ten consecutive quarters for most people.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, but unfortunately, there are not very many people who can see their own economies going anywhere exept into the toilet. The nation can manipulate the figures any way they like, the fact is that most people, maybe nearly all of them, are now living in a personal economic depression.

Last year, wages went up 0.9% while the prices of just about everything went up an average of 4%, not even counting ballooning mortgage and skyrocketing health care. If you are an average workers and consumer, that looks a lot to me like four consecutive quarters of negative growth, and in fact there have probably been about ten consecutive quarters for most people.
I don't know if you are correct from the personal perspective, but an interesting thread you may want to consider is asking if posters are better or worse off THEMSELVES as opposed to a year ago.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times
Driving around Columbus, Ohio it sure doesnt look like a recession to me. Economy is flourishing here.
I was just in Charlotte for a few days, same thing. Last week I was in Atlanta, same thing.
Just like the credit card problems of the 90's when the consumers all got screwed over, now its the housing. Until our government stops the lending industry to be held accountable things will go up and down with the times.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
It doesn't have to "look" like it is in a recession for you to be in a recession. Flourishing? By what standard? Government control in the lending industry LED to these problems.. they are the ones who TOLD them to let more people buy houses because they wanted MORE homeowners... thanks, but no thanks on government controlling ANYTHING anymore... the only government has on their minds is how to make money and socialized care... please leave me the hell alone, I am doing just fine..

Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
A recession is 6 months of a decrease in the GDP, we haven't had a single month where the GDP has decreased. The growth has slowed, but by definition we are NOT in a recession.

What's more important is thinking about how we got here, and how we can prevent a further slide. To me it comes down to economics... and our politicians seem to want to put their fingers in their ears and scream 'lalalalal' like they can't hear what anyone but the Fed is telling them.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM

41 posts, read 112,391 times
Quote:
Yes, the economy is growing but it is a false economy. Americans are still spending and have not stopped spending...but they don't spend real money..they spend credit. This so called huge economy we have is the largest joke ive ever come against. Americans need to keep spending money to drive our economy forward, but using credit will destroy us in the furture although right now it looks like we're moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies