Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times

Advertisements

The US Congress has approved $500m to train about 5,000 Syrian fighters in a year's time.
About 1,000 US troops are expected to help with the training and 450 forces from the US-led coalition have already deployed for the effort, officials said.US begins training Syrian rebels to fight ISIL - Al Jazeera English
Do you think it is a wise decision for the US to spend that money and train the so called Moderate Rebels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 10:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
No. It's completely unwise.

When the U.S. gets involved, the situation almost always gets worse.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:11 PM

595 posts, read 368,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Agree, this will more than likely turn out the same way Libya did. Best to stay out of it. Unfortunately the Democrats and Republicans are pro-intervention and pro-war parties and continue the nonsense interventions across the world.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:14 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
The US Congress has approved $500m to train about 5,000 Syrian fighters in a year's time.
About 1,000 US troops are expected to help with the training and 450 forces from the US-led coalition have already deployed for the effort, officials said.US begins training Syrian rebels to fight ISIL - Al Jazeera English
Do you think it is a wise decision for the US to spend that money and train the so called Moderate Rebels?
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

But now we have them on record of who voted yes.

The No's have it

Baldwin (D-WI)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Begich (D-AK)
Brown (D-OH)
Coburn (R-OK)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Enzi (R-WY)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Heller (R-NV)
Leahy (D-VT)
Lee (R-UT)
Manchin (D-WV)
Markey (D-MA)
Moran (R-KS)
Murphy (D-CT)
Paul (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Sanders (I-VT)
Sessions (R-AL)
Warren (D-MA)

Oh look, a couple of them are running for President. Decisions, decisions

Old 05-07-2015, 11:03 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Agreed. It's not "unwise", it's flippin' stupid. Why we would get involved in a civil war in one of the most powerful countries in the ME is hard to fathom. Especially when the very rebels we are in bed with are attacking the legitimate, legal government of the country. Utter stupidity. It will only get worse when American servicemen die over this. The senators (of both parties) that voted to fund and support terrorists should be ashamed. They are little better than Iranian leadership that does the same thing.

I am glad to see that my senators got it right and voted against this stupidity.

Do you think there is ANY chance that Obama will end this? It would be one of the few things he might to to earn some respect.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 05-07-2015 at 11:12 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 11:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Do you think there is ANY chance that Obama will end this? It would be one of the few things he might to to earn some respect.
Your Joking right? Obama was happy they voted yes....It was HIS plan

"The White House on Thursday proposed a major program to train and arm moderate Syrian rebels, in a significant expansion of the U.S. role in a civil war that officials fear is bleeding into Iraq and across the region."

Obama Proposes $500 Million to Aid Syrian Rebels - WSJ

Old 05-07-2015, 11:34 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Your Joking right? Obama was happy they voted yes....It was HIS plan

"The White House on Thursday proposed a major program to train and arm moderate Syrian rebels, in a significant expansion of the U.S. role in a civil war that officials fear is bleeding into Iraq and across the region."

Obama Proposes $500 Million to Aid Syrian Rebels - WSJ
Yeah, I know. But I though maybe he pulled his head out and decided to so something right for a change. Not that Republicans are any better, the vast majority voted for this as well.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Agreed. It's not "unwise", it's flippin' stupid. Why we would get involved in a civil war in one of the most powerful countries in the ME is hard to fathom. Especially when the very rebels we are in bed with are attacking the legitimate, legal government of the country. Utter stupidity. It will only get worse when American servicemen die over this. The senators (of both parties) that voted to fund and support terrorists should be ashamed. They are little better than Iranian leadership that does the same thing.

I am glad to see that my senators got it right and voted against this stupidity.

No. No chance.

He won't earn respect if he declines to get involved. The same Republicans would then roast him for being weak.

Sorry, but for all of your fellow Republicans talk about Obama being "weak" and the like, he's an effin' hawk...period, end of story.

This is one part of his foreign policy that I hate with a passion.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Wouldn't it be better for this country to invest 500 million dollars in job skills training for at risk youth?

That would be money well spent, this is not only money wasted, it will eventually be training utilized to kill Americans or other Westerners either in this country or somewhere we have interests in the world. It is essentially lose-lose.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
Someone has to fight them. I would rather kill them there than kill them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies