Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Being proactive has it's inherent dangers. The United States government was proactive in 1942 when it summarily incarcerated 120,000 Americans of Japanese descent.

There is nothing wrong with rationally-based caution. However, the psychological effects of paranoia which results from an assortment of irrational fears and biases, often leads to the violation of due process and civil rights. These results have more value to terrorists than does any act of direct violence.
Yeah, well, I'm not paranoid and don't equate rational, logical, proactive thought processes (aka caution and common sense) with being paranoid. I'm sure others are but that's not my state of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
My family is in more dangers from drunk drivers. I wont laugh if they are killed by either. But I'm not going out of my way to HELP them by spreading terror for them. Thats what cowards do.
What?

Surely you drive defensively and would train your children to do so as well. Surely you watch other drivers on the road and if one is driving erratically, at the least you get out of their way. Surely you teach your children the dangers of drinking and then driving. Surely you wouldn't get in a vehicle with someone who had been drinking. Some would go so far as to avoid driving during times such as New Years Eve when there are lots of drunks on the road. Some would call a taxi for a friend, or call one themselves if they'd had a few too many. Some might even take a friend's keys or encourage others to do so.

These are all proactive actions - not based in paranoia but in common sense. Spreading the word on this topic isn't "spreading terror." It's increasing the awareness of people, which is what every member of law enforcement has been encouraging us to do since terror attacks became, unfortunately, a reality of every day life on this planet. This doesn't mean we're cowering under our beds or afraid to leave our homes, or stockpiling ammo. It means that we're more aware of our surroundings, what people are doing around us, etc.

Makes sense to me.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:39 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What?

Surely you drive defensively and would train your children to do so as well. Surely you watch other drivers on the road and if one is driving erratically, at the least you get out of their way. Surely you teach your children the dangers of drinking and then driving. Surely you wouldn't get in a vehicle with someone who had been drinking. Some would go so far as to avoid driving during times such as New Years Eve when there are lots of drunks on the road. Some would call a taxi for a friend, or call one themselves if they'd had a few too many. Some might even take a friend's keys or encourage others to do so.

These are all proactive actions - not based in paranoia but in common sense. Spreading the word on this topic isn't "spreading terror." It's increasing the awareness of people, which is what every member of law enforcement has been encouraging us to do since terror attacks became, unfortunately, a reality of every day life on this planet. This doesn't mean we're cowering under our beds or afraid to leave our homes, or stockpiling ammo. It means that we're more aware of our surroundings, what people are doing around us, etc.

Makes sense to me.
Go read my prior messages. I'm 100% in favor of making terrorists dead. Im 100% against helping spread their terror. Why is this so hard for people to comprehend?

Know why terrorism occurs? Because people like the OP help spread the terror.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Go read my prior messages. I'm 100% in favor of making terrorists dead. Im 100% against helping spread their terror. Why is this so hard for people to comprehend?

Know why terrorism occurs? Because people like the OP help spread the terror.
Maybe it's hard to comprehend because of the way you're wording things.

Who caused 9-11? What about the Boston marathon bombing?

Terrorism does NOT occur "because people like the OP help spread the terror." Maybe what you're trying to say is that "terror" is spread not only by actual TERRORIST ACTS but also by the fear and alarm of a potential terrorist act, and if that's the case, then I agree with you. But there's no way I'm going to agree with the concept (hopefully mis-spoken) that when someone is concerned about a possible terrorist act, they help create the REASON for terrorism.

A few years ago, I was up in arms about the term "terror attacks" because it's confusing terminology. Words have meaning. When we twist those words around, we twist the meaning.

I don't like the term "terror attack" because it implies that TERROR (an emotion) is what caused the attack, or what perpetrated the attack. No. TERRORISTS perpetrate terrorist attacks. The TERROR associated with such attacks is the RESULT, not the CAUSE of the attack. Calling something a "terror attack" or "the war on terror" really irks me, because it takes the focus off of the individuals who perpetrate such violent ideologies and attacks on other humans. Instead, it reduces the "enemy" to an emotion rather than a real person. It's perfectly normal to feel terror when faced with imminent death and maiming and destruction - caused by a TERRORIST.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:50 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Taking the word of a blogger that pulled out one Twitter Message only helps ISIS with their social media campaign, I don't pay any attention to this but there are many that seem to react to every moment.

Exactly what does the OP propose in response, I'm guessing nothing.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's hard to comprehend because of the way you're wording things.

Who caused 9-11? What about the Boston marathon bombing?

Terrorism does NOT occur "because people like the OP help spread the terror." Maybe what you're trying to say is that "terror" is spread not only by actual TERRORIST ACTS but also by the fear and alarm of a potential terrorist act, and if that's the case, then I agree with you. But there's no way I'm going to agree with the concept (hopefully mis-spoken) that when someone is concerned about a possible terrorist act, they help create the REASON for terrorism.
Nope, not mis-spoken. Terrorism only occurs because of...terror. The fear. While I agree it should be discussed, it shouldnt be "OMG look at what they claim!!!!!"

It should be "hey those folks are bad people, lets kill them."

The REASON terrorism occurs is because it spreads terror. not the # of people killed, but the FEAR. Without the fear theres very little benefit to terrorism.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:01 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm not paranoid and don't equate rational, logical, proactive thought processes (aka caution and common sense) with being paranoid. I'm sure others are but that's not my state of mind.
Don't worry about being paranoid Kathryn. Remember, just because you're paranoid that doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

“Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then.”
Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Nope, not mis-spoken. Terrorism only occurs because of...terror. The fear. While I agree it should be discussed, it shouldnt be "OMG look at what they claim!!!!!"

It should be "hey those folks are bad people, lets kill them."

The REASON terrorism occurs is because it spreads terror. not the # of people killed, but the FEAR. Without the fear theres very little benefit to terrorism.

So it's the fault of those who fear attacks by terrorists. Is that what you're saying?

Terror doesn't attack people. Terror is the normal response to TERRORISTS, however.

Now, to clarify, I don't think any of us should be hiding out in our houses afraid of random acts of terrorism (not random acts of terror, to clarify - terror is an emotion, not a person). But to say that a responsive emotion - a response to heinous acts perpetrated by violent extremists - is the CAUSE of terrorism is really, really blaming the victim in my opinion.

That's like saying an abusive spouse is abusive because his wife is afraid of him. No, an abusive spouse is abusive because he's a violent, pathetic jerk who preys on vulnerable people. He targets vulnerable people - they don't CAUSE him to do that, though, he does it because he's a jerk.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Don't worry about being paranoid Kathryn. Remember, just because you're paranoid that doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

“Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then.”
Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

LOL, oh I'm not worried. Nor am I paranoid. I'm just observant.

For the record, even though I was supposed to fly from Dallas to New Orleans on 9-11, I wasn't AFRAID when the flight got cancelled. I was ticked off. I wanted on that plane. PUT ME ON THE DAMN PLANE. I knew the odds were greatly in my favor that nothing at all would happen. Dang it, I had plans in New Orleans, and some terrorists got in my way. As soon as I could fly, I did so and continue to do so. I have things to do and places to go. I am not about to let some loser with a Twitter account and body odor stand in my way.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
So it's the fault of those who fear attacks by terrorists. Is that what you're saying?

Terror doesn't attack people. Terror is the normal response to TERRORISTS, however.

Now, to clarify, I don't think any of us should be hiding out in our houses afraid of random acts of terrorism (not random acts of terror, to clarify - terror is an emotion, not a person). But to say that a responsive emotion - a response to heinous acts perpetrated by violent extremists - is the CAUSE of terrorism is really, really blaming the victim in my opinion.

That's like saying an abusive spouse is abusive because his wife is afraid of him. No, an abusive spouse is abusive because he's a violent, pathetic jerk who preys on vulnerable people. He targets vulnerable people - they don't CAUSE him to do that, though, he does it because he's a jerk.
Again...terrorism is effective because it spreads terror. THAT IS THE POINT of it. Trying to conflate it to DV is foolish. trying to conflate it with victim blaming is foolish. If you want to reduce terrorism make it less effective....by not helping spread unreasonable fear.

We have more to fear from falling in the tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies