Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 12:29 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well instead of criticizing liberals maybe you should realize that there are many conservatives on welfare. So the question is....what do we do about it instead of arguing who is on it.
I don't notice conservatives defending wasteful welfare programs -- whether or not they themselves are on welfare.

Only liberals do that.

What do we do about it?

Cut it off for all able-bodied, normal IQ people, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:44 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
And so you just gave up?

Wow.

That's what we have free public schools and job training programs for. Here in California, there is something called the Regional Occupational Program. It offers job and career training geared to local labor markets in individual counties. There is no tuition and classes are offered during the day, during the evening and on weekends. Anyone over sixteen can enroll. There is free job placement assistance. Graduates get a certificate of completion and 85% are hired. If your state doesn't have that, it probably has other free or low-cost programs either through the public school district or local community college. The fishing analogy was just that -- an analogy. But do you really think you can't learn things on your own? Even though we have public libraries and the internet complete with youtube demonstrations of various tasks? Talk about lack of initiative! Next I'll be hearing someone say that they need to be "taught" to finger paint! Excuses, excuses. Go to the river bank, lake or a pier. Just catch one fish and eat it for dinner. Work up from there. And bring your boy or girl scout handbook.

The only scam here is all of your excuses.
lol, that was rich.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
And so you just gave up?

Wow.

That's what we have free public schools and job training programs for. Here in California, there is something called the Regional Occupational Program. It offers job and career training geared to local labor markets in individual counties. There is no tuition and classes are offered during the day, during the evening and on weekends. Anyone over sixteen can enroll. There is free job placement assistance. Graduates get a certificate of completion and 85% are hired. If your state doesn't have that, it probably has other free or low-cost programs either through the public school district or local community college. The fishing analogy was just that -- an analogy. But do you really think you can't learn things on your own? Even though we have public libraries and the internet complete with youtube demonstrations of various tasks? Talk about lack of initiative! Next I'll be hearing someone say that they need to be "taught" to finger paint! Excuses, excuses. Go to the river bank, lake or a pier. Just catch one fish and eat it for dinner. Work up from there. And bring your boy or girl scout handbook.

Looks like a glorified vocational program. What free IT training is offered?

Old 05-16-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I don't notice conservatives defending wasteful welfare programs -- whether or not they themselves are on welfare.

Only liberals do that.

What do we do about it?

Cut it off for all able-bodied, normal IQ people, of course.

What do you do with able-bodied, normal IQ, unskilled people?

Old 05-16-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I do pay income taxes. But I get most of MY money back because of tax credits. In short, I invest in my self and my house by SPENDING money. Keeps people employed. That is my contribution. Something the left loses sight of.

So yes, I have every right to interject my responses about the left and the laziness they have inculcated by giving out other people's money.

Did they run out of tinfoil? Because you are in need of some, desperately. Of course there is a spread, that is capitalism. Work hard and you will be rewarded. Be lazy and you starve. The right has social engineering? Double up on that tinfoil.

I'd like to invest in my own house but government gets in my way.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
More unsubstantiated, dishonest "psychoanalysis" in your war on others who are politically different from yourself.
No. What I posted was apparently irrefutable moral repudiation for perspectives you advocate, as evidenced by your unwillingness or inability to post a moral defense for the corruption you prefer. Just responding to my words with a vacuous "nuh-uh" doesn't obviate their implication. You don't like having the self-centered claptrap you value refuted. Tough. Get used to it.

Quote:
So is the Obama Administration "right wing"?
Not especially, but it isn't surprising for you to try to defend the indefensible nonsense you prefer with a nonsensical diversion, feigning ignorance about the reality of our political process, playing dumb about the manner by which a democratic republic operates. That may dupe weak-minded sycophants into believing your nonsense when you post it in right wing echo chambers, but it most independents see right through such ridiculousness. That's why the right-wing cannot break out of its second-class shell: It's intention is to promulgate policies that most reasonable people acknowledge are wrong, even when they benefit those people personally. The right wing survives on how well it appeals to the unprincipled egoistic avarice of some Americans. It survives on how effectively it panders to and activates self-centeredness. It prospers to the extent it can brainwash people into putting aside their humanity.

Quote:
The fact is income inequality has grown under this administration and is worse than before.
True. Perhaps if the right wingers didn't leave behind the worst economic recession in three quarters of a century, that wouldn't have been as much the case. Perhaps if the right wingers in Congress didn't make it impossible to pass the Jobs act, that wouldn't have been as much the case. Perhaps if the right wing didn't exploit excessive financial power to prompt states run by idiot governors into rejecting the Medicaid expansion, that wouldn't have been as much the case.

Playing dumb about realities doesn't help your perspective. People know better and know you know better. Using such silly rhetorical tactics just shows that you know you cannot defend your perspective on the merits.

Quote:
Evasions? You are the one evading my points.
Wow. You really think the old "I know you are but what am I" defense is going to impress anyone? Where do you think we are? Third grade? Perhaps you see politics as a game, with the lives of other people as tokens on the game board. Perhaps that is what's behind the right wing perspective in general.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:54 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
I too received welfare about 25 years ago, and ALSO had a sheet like described a couple posts back.

The state helped me with:
Bus pass, work clothes, a haircut, some job referrals, training on how to look for work, and resume building. So apparently depending on the state they did different things.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:55 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Excuses, excuses. Go to the river bank, lake or a pier. Just catch one fish and eat it for dinner.
And good luck paying the fine for unlicensed fishing!

Welcome to 2015, its not the 1800's anymore.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:10 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
And so you just gave up?

Wow.

Are you aware that almost all ROP programs have long waiting lists? I think ROP is a great program, but you don't just walk in and get in the program you want, it doesn't work like that. Some programs are only full time and there is no flexibility in hours of attendance even in part time programs, so if you are working and can't arrange your hours around the ROP schedule..oh well it must be your fault for not trying hard enough. It can be real tough for a working parent to arrange and pay for childcare for the time they work AND the time they attend ROP, but I guess if they can't make it work they can just go catch a fish

Old 05-16-2015, 09:15 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'd like to invest in my own house but government gets in my way.
How does gov't get in the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies