Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 04:01 PM

27,169 posts, read 15,352,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The horrible thing is the perversion of our supreme court into conservative and liberal factions instead of people who base decisions on laws.

Yes indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 04:02 PM

27,169 posts, read 15,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Considering who nominated him, clearly the expectation was that we'd be getting another Scalia. Bush sure as hell hoped so. The New Republic and the USA Today...bias aside, aren't writing these pieces because of some expectation that Roberts was slated to be the second coming of Earl Warren.

That said, I certainly believe that his head is hard right...but his heart is another matter altogether...apparently.

Again, there's a gulf between his views on business and social issues. How wide that gulf is is the question.

Yet Bush was not hardline conservative himself.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yet Bush was not hardline conservative himself.
Ehhhh...I've got mixed feelings about that statement.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:31 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,342,826 times
Quote:
Ehhhh...I've got mixed feelings about that statement.
You might, but most conservatives didn't view GWB as one of them. But that's for another thread.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:35 PM

45,467 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The horrible thing is the perversion of our supreme court into conservative and liberal factions instead of people who base decisions on laws.
One of the few times I agree with you. Supreme Court Justices are supposed to check their ideology at the door. In reality it has never really happened.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
You might, but most conservatives didn't view GWB as one of them. But that's for another thread.
That may be true in hindsight, but at the time, conservatives were having NONE of it.

On more than one occasion, I came close to having fisticuffs with people after criticizing Bush. Republicans have never been so protective of a president in my lifetime. Even the most picayune of criticisms of Bush at the time had a chance of ending really bad.

In fact, I stopped discussing politics offline during the Bush Administration to avoid the possibility that I'd have to bite someone's nipples off their chest.

Now, everyone says that they weren't down with him. I find that hard to swallow.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:27 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,342,826 times
Quote:

Now, everyone says that they weren't down with him. I find that hard to swallow.
There was almost unanimous support for GWB after 9/11. That started to peel off with the start of the Iraq war. But he stepped into it with many on the right after he was reelected and tried to shove an immigration bill on the nation. There was a massive right wing revolt on talk radio and the blogosphere that left many conservatives feeling betrayed and angry and GWB never got them back. The bank bailout was the coup de grace.

And I'm still down with GWB, and with Chief Justice Roberts, but I'm not a true conservative, just pi$$ed that Democrats effed things up so completely.

But we've already had plenty of threads on that.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:53 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,773,314 times
Quote:
You're right...that's NOT a good development.
That started with the liberal New Deal Court in the 1930's. It has never ended. The current court has been just as it has been for the last 72 years - leftist.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,690,714 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure, but clearly he's not as hardline conservative as President Bush probably hoped he'd be.

This piece in the New Republic, combined with yesterday's piece in USA Today certainly calls his conservatism into some question.

Lemme be clear...I think Roberts is extremely conservative, but it seems to manifest itself moreso on decisions regarding big business.

Chief Justice John Roberts Has Become Less Predictably Conservative | The New Republic

Progressive and Conservative are political theories. The SC justices, should be neither Progressive or Conservative. They need to be Constitutional, not political.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Progressive and Conservative are political theories. The SC justices, should be neither Progressive or Conservative. They need to be Constitutional, not political.
That's already been established in the thread, but thanks for the unnecessary lecture anyway Professor BentBow.

What's also been established is that the Supreme Court has never operated that way.

But whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies