Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,017 times

Advertisements

I am familiar with what and why Hawaii wants the US out... there is no Treaty of annexation. anyone have anything first hand on Alaska?

http://rt.com/usa/256781-alaska-hawa...determination/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 PM

700 posts, read 638,023 times
In the post-Crimea world and as part of RT's whoring to the government in Moscow, it must perpetuate the sentiment that every region of the world has a right to self-determination except, of course, Russia's separatists regions. The secessionist movements in either state are so small that they wouldn't garner any attention otherwise.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
secretary seward negotiated with the russian government in 1867 to purchase alaska for $7 million. since russian was the owners of the land at the time, and since they were willing to sell the land, and since the US senate approves the treaty with russia selling the land to the US, and since we paid russia for the alaska, we own it lock, stock, and barrel. these idiots that want to separate alaska form the rest of the US have no standing to change a deal that was made 150 years ago.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
secretary seward negotiated with the russian government in 1867 to purchase alaska for $7 million. since russian was the owners of the land at the time, and since they were willing to sell the land, and since the US senate approves the treaty with russia selling the land to the US, and since we paid russia for the alaska, we own it lock, stock, and barrel. these idiots that want to separate alaska form the rest of the US have no standing to change a deal that was made 150 years ago.
I have a question.... so why then does the US give special treatment to the Native Alaskan's? as you say lock stock and barrel... then why do they do this?

Old 05-08-2015, 11:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Frankly, both states can leave as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Frankly, both states can leave as far as I'm concerned.
Many Native Hawaiian want to leave the US... or should I say want the US to leave. The UD wants to make the native Hawaiian, into native tribal american. Thats not a good thing.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:33 AM

this kinda ties into.... this post got shut down, seems it was in the Hawaii fourm... go figure.

Hawaii is not a state, I said it before I will say it again

Old 05-09-2015, 12:48 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Ronald Barnes of Alaska said the US “is mismanaging the property they have no right for.

“They take our land and mine mineral resources in large amounts damaging our
environment,” he said.

Barnes told TASS that the group would seek assistance from Russia for their cause.

“It will be 150 years since the sale of Alaska by Russia to the US in 2017. If we could work with the Russians to present the historical truth and reject the distorted concepts about Alaska and our peoples, I believe it could be a good way to amend the situation,” he said. - See more at: Free Hawai`i

Here's some further info on it. Of course, this is absurd; seek assistance from Russia for help with Alaska Natives' cause? Russia burned down entire villages on the Aleutians and enslaved the Aleuts, as well as members of some of the other tribes. And Russia is doing the same to its own Native peoples that this group says the US is doing in Alaska. So what kind of "help" are they expecting from Russia?

I haven't been able to find a website for the organization that's spearheading the petition, so there's no way to check to see if the members, or leadership, are known and experienced leaders, or a group of cranks. If anyone finds any info on the group, like their Board of Directors (if they're an official non-profit), or members, please post that here.

Here's an article with more info:

http://www.internationaldiplomat.com...-tribes-un-hu/

Ambassador Ronald Barnes was first appointed in 1994 by the Elders of Tununak, Alaska, as their representative before the United Nations with a clear mandate to promote the international legal and political status of the Alaskan indigenous peoples. The Indigenous Peoples and Nations Coalition was founded as a ’free political institution’ of the Elders and grassroots communities to promote their rights under international law.

So he was elected by one community to represent their interests, but now he's claiming to represent all Alaska Natives? More clarification needed.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-09-2015 at 01:04 AM..

Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
It's related to something called the Indigenous Peoples And Nations Coalition
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Excerpt:

Right now, at this exact time, the title to Alaska still belongs to the Indian, Eskimo, and Aleut Peoples. Hopefully our warriors, be they men or women,will stand together, in a non-violent effort to protect what has always been ours from time before anyone’s memory. However, there are those who are always trying to minimize or eliminate our rights.
[MOD CUT/copyright violation].

They might be onto something. Alaska Natives never signed away their land via treaties, unlike the tribes in the Lower 48 (many of which signed at gunpoint, basically). I'd like to see proof of the underlined statement, though (underlining - mine). When the US bought the Louisiana Territory from France, they didn't assert that the tribes therein were completely sovereign and independent nations. The tribal lands, or the right to negotiate with the Native nations for their land, was included in the Purchase. The Alaska purchase in principle would have been the same. Except the US never negotiated with nor fought the Alaska Native nations. Instead, the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) was imposed on them in 1971, as a sort of belated afterthought, to clear the way for resource exploitation.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-11-2015 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 02:44 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Interesting how some people are claiming statehood is illegal by using USLaw.

Tough. Nothing will change and those proponents have no standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies