Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:32 AM

231 posts, read 171,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Cannot disagree with you there. That is no reason to add to the burden, We The People are trying to right.

I already ran you over, should I back up and do it again?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for PATRIOT, I'm making the case that you are likely to be unqualified to argue against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 07:33 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,630 times
How can it be bad with a name like "The Patriot Act".
Many times I am quite amused with the names of bills.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
I like these virtual arguments.

A law no one has read vs. articles no one has read that were largely researched by reporters that aren't experts (I'll give the ACLU a pass on that one).

Pretty soon, we can automate the whole works.
So, tell me about laws that don't fit your description. Almost nobody has read the Obamacare law including the congressmen who voted for it. Same for the Citizens United decision. Almost nobody knows exactly what it was about.

The Patriot Act is not unique in this regard.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Probably about the same number who are deadset for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
I can't say that I've run into that one, although they probably exist.

Yes. Those that have read it, seem to think it stomps all over the 4th Amendment.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have to wonder, with all the opposition, why Obama doesn't just stop the execution of the Patriot Act. Laws have never been a hindrance in the past.
Maybe he likes it!?

Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Yes, the name frequently is just the opposite of the content. For example, "Affordable Care Act".

Old 05-20-2015, 07:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Probably about the same number who are deadset for it.
No there are probably much more who are against it than those that truly know what is inside it. Just think of those who think that the NSA was a Patriot Act invention. I think more and more are against it due to the Snowden leak from two years ago. I do think those against the law from the beginning did read it but the heightened awareness is from Snowden.

Now I'm not saying the Patriot Act is totally right, but it is a necessary evil. Without it adds red tape through the process of gathering evidence.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:40 AM

231 posts, read 171,677 times
Quote:
So, tell me about laws that don't fit your description. Almost nobody has read the Obamacare law including the congressmen who voted for it. Same for the Citizens United decision. Almost nobody knows exactly what it was about.

The Patriot Act is not unique in this regard.
Exactly. It's also hard to know what the real side effects are of complicated legislation (in addition to the jillions of pages of regulations that are the inevitable follow on).

That's why I make a real effort not to just pound out a screed about how THE PATRIOT ACT SUX!!!!

My own impression has been that the steady upwards slope in government (and corporate) surveillance has taken PATRIOT in it's stride. It's too powerful a tool for the elite to ignore. If you talk to ex-employees of the TLA departments (something I run into a lot) or merely read one of the Bamford books, you can see where this was and where it's leading.

It's essentially up to the public to do the best it can to promote privacy. Privacy can only be gained by us, not by attempting to force the government to follow a rule set.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Yeah like the Fair Tax. I swear the names of these bills is a marketing topic of its own. It is like the government or congress pay people to come up with bans that people think will drum up support for the bill.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No there are probably much more who are against it than those that truly know what is inside it. Just think of those who think that the NSA was a Patriot Act invention. .
I've never met anyone who thinks the NSA was a Patriot Act invention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies