Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 09:27 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,691,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
As evidenced in this picture:

I agree with you. One theory of crime and punishment supports what you say also. The length of punishment they found was less a deterrent than the certainty of punishment.

Young people who may see themselves as having no future are not likely to be concerned about a decision that will impact that future. Public policy that can capture them and show them a way to a better future is worth the effort in some communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:50 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I agree with you. One theory of crime and punishment supports what you say also. The length of punishment they found was less a deterrent than the certainty of punishment.

Young people who may see themselves as having no future are not likely to be concerned about a decision that will impact that future. Public policy that can capture them and show them a way to a better future is worth the effort in some communities.
Well Said!

Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 AM

46,334 posts, read 27,176,488 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well Said!

How much money in the last 2 years has this admin dumped into baltimore?

Quote:
Sandtown-Winchester is crumbling, and there is little to suggest that two decades ago visionary developer James Rouse and city officials injected more than $130 million into the community in a failed effort to transform it. Instead there are block after block of boarded-up houses and too many people with little hope.
$130M is not enough?

Why couldn

Old 05-30-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How much money in the last 2 years has this admin dumped into baltimore?

$130M is not enough?

Why couldn
Nine out of ten business fail. People dump a lot of money into them and they fail, but that doesn't stop people from trying to succeed.
Along with the same reasoning we dumped Billions in Iraq and Afghanistan and are getting the same result as Baltimore.
A lot of money and a bad plan no matter how good the intention will not guarantee success.
Some cities are paying out more than that in settlements of police mismanagement.
Why not look at what is working in other cities and adopt a well thought out approach. Governors, and mayors meet and supposedly discuss those issues or maybe they say they do and live it up for a few days on the public tab.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:33 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,031,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; I'd rather have cops that were def hardasses than what's going on in Baltimore today. Far fewer people died before Grey's death, I guess Black lives DON'T matter IF it's the hood rats doing "KKK" dirty work.
Baltimore, NYC, St. Louis, Chicago - it won't be long before people are calling for hardass, stop and frisk, broken windows policing.

We have a nationwide urban crime wave brewing:

The New Nationwide Crime Wave - WSJ

Old 05-30-2015, 12:36 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,971,916 times
What? $1.8 Billion was dumped into Baltimore with little to no success prior to 2015. Some of those businesses that the mayor told the police to stand back and "let the protesters have room to destroy" have been there for decades--pharmacies, grocery stores--many of which were the life blood of those neighborhoods. Baltimore's policies have put it in the place where it is today. The mayor seriously failed this city. Governors and mayors need to come together all right--to kick that mayor square in the rear end to keep Baltimore from the same death sentence as Detroit.

Quote:
Nine out of ten business fail. People dump a lot of money into them and they fail, but that doesn't stop people from trying to succeed.
Along with the same reasoning we dumped Billions in Iraq and Afghanistan and are getting the same result as Baltimore.
A lot of money and a bad plan no matter how good the intention will not guarantee success.
Some cities are paying out more than that in settlements of police mismanagement.
Why not look at what is working in other cities and adopt a well thought out approach. Governors, and mayors meet and supposedly discuss those issues or maybe they say they do and live it up for a few days on the public tab.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:46 PM

46,334 posts, read 27,176,488 times
Quote:
Don't ask me, how long has baltimore been held by dems?

I would agree with you, that you should look at other situations, but obviously that dem held city thinks they are doing fine, even with all that money....The money never came up until now....why is that?

Old 05-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
What? $1.8 Billion was dumped into Baltimore with little to no success prior to 2015. Some of those businesses that the mayor told the police to stand back and "let the protesters have room to destroy" have been there for decades--pharmacies, grocery stores--many of which were the life blood of those neighborhoods. Baltimore's policies have put it in the place where it is today. The mayor seriously failed this city. Governors and mayors need to come together all right--to kick that mayor square in the rear end to keep Baltimore from the same death sentence as Detroit.
Agreed. Where is the Governor on this problem ? It's happening in his state. What solution is he offering ? Did they elect the most intelligent and virtuous mayor ? I didn't follow the election. No question she is making mistakes. I don't agree with what she has done. I don't agree with the leadership of Baltimore at all. I don't excuse any of them including the police commissioner. I think they have all been promoted one level above their highest level of incompetence.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,907,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most young people who commit crimes don't think they will get caught, in fact they don't think much at all, and they almost never consider the impact of their crime on their victim. That applies to about most offenders whether white or black. Some are just stupid and young, others are sociopaths. That is why the threat of lengthy punishment doesn't generally act as a deterrent, they never stop and say "wow I could get 20 years for this, it's not worth it"

What seems to deter young people from crime is how much they stand to lose immediately. . A kid with a job, a car, a nice place to live is much more likely to avoid putting himself in a position where he stands to lose those things he has acquired. It seems that the poorest, most miserable people not only lack insight but simply don't care much about themselves or anyone else.

You are aware of how few true deterrent sentences are passed down, correct? Defendants plea bargain and get suspended sentences. Others are prosecuted by poor DAs. Too many have inadmissible evidence against them.

What it comes down to is no true deterrents. No more breaking rocks in the hot sun, no more road crews, nothing of real punishment. No. it's 3 hots and a cot, free medical and dental care, free TV, college, internet and gym time. What's to hate about 18 weeks at club prison? you get to make new friends and network so you have new homies when you get out.

No deterrents = perceived entitlement to disobey the law.

Watch video of the criminals and decide for yourself; do they seem concerned with being apprehended and paying consequences for their illegal actions?

No, it would be racist to do so against them. White liberals will ensure so.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,907,081 times
Quote:
Agreed. Where is the Governor on this problem ? It's happening in his state. What solution is he offering ? Did they elect the most intelligent and virtuous mayor ? I didn't follow the election. No question she is making mistakes. I don't agree with what she has done. I don't agree with the leadership of Baltimore at all. I don't excuse any of them including the police commissioner. I think they have all been promoted one level above their highest level of incompetence.
I trust no female politician with a hyphenated name. Take the leader of the DNC for instance; please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies