Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,147,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I see. This is tough b/c water is essential to life. A human cannot live very long without water. In perfect conditions one can possibly live for 8-10 days. Maybe we should let them all die since they are worthless human beings that contribute nothing to society.

I think we want to be careful with this type of thinking. It can apply to a lot more that poor people in Detroit. Anyway, sad all around. Just because "the other" seems lazy compared to our productive selves doesn't mean we're right and they don't want a better life. There is a lot involved here. It's not simple as calling people lazy. I think we should treat people with dignity. It is the moral thing to do.
As I recall, humans did just fine for thousands of years without purified water being delivered to their doorstep. Clean water is a luxury of modern society in some parts of the world, not something that's owed to people for free. There's plenty of water in the world. Cutting off someone's water utilities is not somehow depriving them of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
I see. This is tough b/c water is essential to life. A human cannot live very long without water. In perfect conditions one can possibly live for 8-10 days. Maybe we should let them all die since they are worthless human beings that contribute nothing to society.

I think we want to be careful with this type of thinking. It can apply to a lot more that poor people in Detroit. Anyway, sad all around. Just because "the other" seems lazy compared to our productive selves doesn't mean we're right and they don't want a better life. There is a lot involved here. It's not simple as calling people lazy. I think we should treat people with dignity. It is the moral thing to do.
As the infrastructure breaks down due to lack of funding what then? What about the paying customers who were playing by the rules all along?

Old 05-30-2015, 05:31 PM

580 posts, read 449,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
A bunch of people in Detroit are about to have their water turned off because they stopped paying their bills. But I know liberals care so much for the poor that they aren't going to let this happen. There's no way they would be greedy enough to hold onto their wealth while poor innocent families and their CHILDREN are about to be without water.

So would you liberals please let us know how much of your own money you are sending to Detroit to support those poor, innocent, underprivileged, hard-working, people in need?

Detroit is starting to shut off people's water again | Fusion
I'll donate as soon as you donate to keep your hero, Sheriff Joe, out of jail...

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is Begging for Money – The Minority Report Blog

Old 05-30-2015, 05:31 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:

I agree with you. Apparently the cold hearted types don't realize that disenfranchisement is a very real thing and that some people's bootstraps are not as long or strong as some others.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:36 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Would it not make more sense to indeed make sure that people have running water in America than in paying banks millions in interest for not loaning out our money?
It would make more sense to teach people to earn their keep, while maintaining an environment where contributing is met with just reward.

It is a bad idea to reward undesirable behaviors on any level of society.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:44 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I agree with you. Apparently the cold hearted types don't realize that disenfranchisement is a very real thing and that some people's bootstraps are not as long or strong as some others.
Thanks. I'll never understand why some Americans go after the most destitute populations in our country while not batting an eye towards corporate greed or the military industrial complex. Although, that's another topic. I think we are judged by the way we treat our most vulnerable and some here clearly give us a moral downgrade.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It would make more sense to teach people to earn their keep, while maintaining an environment where contributing is met with just reward.

It is a bad idea to reward undesirable behaviors on any level of society.
I don't really disagree with this but since we have decided to reward bad behavior how would making sure that people have clean water so offensive compared to the other bad behavior we have rewarded?

Old 05-30-2015, 05:49 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't really disagree with this but since we have decided to reward bad behavior how would making sure that people have clean water so offensive compared to the other bad behavior we have rewarded?
Not offensive at all. I didn't introduce corporation into the discussion. Even still, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

The population has been declining in Detroit for years. People have been leaving. This trend should be encouraged, and it should continue, until Detroit can be made functional and self sufficient once again.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:57 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I guess the OP could try Googling this question....Though if the OP really cares about this issue, nothing is stopping he/she from donating.
Maybe you should have looked at post #6. The OP did indeed do some googling and came up with a link

Old 05-30-2015, 05:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Not offensive at all. I didn't introduce corporation into the discussion. Even still, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

The population has been declining in Detroit for years. People have been leaving. This trend should be encouraged, and it should continue, until Detroit can be made functional and self sufficient once again.
Two wrongs don't make a right but people don't seem to grasp that doing one wrong is in large part what is causing many of our problems.

How do you tell a struggling mother of 4 kids that she is not going to get any help while giving millions of taxpayers money to the ones that end up repossessing her house? Is it any wonder that many inner city kids have grown up with a chip on their shoulders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies