Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:19 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times

Advertisements

Over the past couple of months, millions of American's have been forced to hear the word evangelical due to the rise of Mike Huckabee's presence in the presidential campaign. I am a life long evangelical Southern Baptist. My purpose here is not to evangelize, but rather only to answer specific questions people might have about my faith which is mine and mine alone, but may be very similar to other Baptists or evangelicals. So, if you have a question, I will attempt to answer without hype or promotion.

This thread is not a religious thread, but rather only to help people make a better educated choice for president. It should also be noted that I am an undecided and do not represent nor currently plan to vote for or against Gov. Huckabee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 03:24 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Moved, I think it better belongs here. I know you have had multiple discussions concerning religions (and non religion) so you should be the experts!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:33 PM

No, it does not belong here. It is a political explanation for people choosing to vote for or against what is described as an evangelical. Please move it back. I am not trying to evangelize, but rather to help people better understand a political issue.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:39 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
what's the political issue? you're religion and voting? I don't get what you're trying to accomplish?

Old 01-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Last night, and with every post primary election, the "evangelical" vote has been a demographically important statistic; therefore, as with Romney's Mormonism, I am only attempting to share history and understanding, not trying to share emotion or religion.

Please note, also, I offered to answer questions others might have.

Last edited by tomocox; 01-20-2008 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-20-2008, 04:28 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Moved back to P&OC per OP request.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:44 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Why do evangelicals as a group have such a tendency to assume that if one is not an evangelical, the explanation for it must lie in the fact that one has not yet heard the 'good news'? Does it ever dawn on evangelicals that some of us aren't the least bit interested in hearing anything further about anybody else's religion at all?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:46 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Why do evangelicals as a group have such a tendency to assume that if one is not an evangelical, the explanation for it must lie in the fact that one has not yet heard the 'good news'? Does it ever dawn on evangelicals that some of us aren't the least bit interested in hearing anything further about anybody else's religion at all?
Now that was good news!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:10 PM

No Evangelism here... only serving as an information center. Please do not use this thread as an opinion thread.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:18 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Over the past couple of months, millions of American's have been forced to hear the word evangelical due to the rise of Mike Huckabee's presence in the presidential campaign. I am a life long evangelical Southern Baptist. My purpose here is not to evangelize, but rather only to answer specific questions people might have about my faith which is mine and mine alone, but may be very similar to other Baptists or evangelicals. So, if you have a question, I will attempt to answer without hype or promotion.

This thread is not a religious thread, but rather only to help people make a better educated choice for president. It should also be noted that I am an undecided and do not represent nor currently plan to vote for or against Gov. Huckabee.
I wish you much luck in your attempt to 'clear the air'. I grew up among a number of Evangelicals, and believe me, I hope the information you provide about Evangelicals is more accurate that what THEY used to provide to me about MY group--(Catholics)...let's just say, I heard some pretty fanciful things about the Pope, the nuns, 'worshiping statues", and about how the new President (JFK) was going to be "phoning over to the Vatican" each night, to get his "orders" (from a bunch of old "Eye-talian preachers").

Hopefully, you've done a little research. Good luck to you !....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies