Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 07:32 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,920,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer
Just because you can doesnt mean you should...
No its bloody stupid!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:24 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,431,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Now.. on an ATV cruising the border ..yes..

Why on earth would you say that? What exactly do you mean by saying that carrying a fully automatic rifle is appropriate at a border?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,431,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
What I always wonder about the open carry fanatics is WHAT exactly they're so afraid of that they need to display their weapon so prominently?

What are the chances of your life coming under threat from another person at the airport?
What I find really funny about gun nuts is that they posture and boast that they have so much "freedom" because they have a gun, but really, they are just chained to an inanimate object and completely controlled by the laws surrounding its presence and use at all times. I have never met a group of people less "free" than that.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:36 PM

6,012 posts, read 4,242,245 times
The news here is not that a man decided this airport was a good place to carry openly. The news is that he carried openly in that airport.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:40 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,157,251 times
He has a right carry, and he has a right to carry in the airport.

However, he cant expect not to attract the attention of security or not to alrm people who are not from Atlanta and dont know the law. It would be negligent of security to ignore the fact that someone is inside the building with such a weapon.

Its like me walking through naked (which would get me arrested), I AM going to attract attention, and not all of it will be positive. My naked body may not please you, but it doesnt have the potential to cause several people to drop dead from it either, lol.

Im not sure it be would necessary to have three officers follow him once he left the building. I would think there would be cameras to watch him safely get in his vehicle, but I could be wrong. I guess you could look at that as a suggestion not to do that again. It's obviously disruptive to everyone, including the guy carrying the rifle.

At the very least, if you dont want attention, keep a low profile. Carrying a semi-automatic rifle with a 100 round mag is hardly a low profile. Even in an open carry state, it would concern me to see it in the grocery store, or the local library. Someone would have a right to carry it in the grocery store, and I would have a right to try to determine if their intentions were benign - or not.

I dont think they did anything wrong by approaching him. And just like he has a right to carry, security has a right to see what he is going to do with that rifle - if anything - until he is completely away from the property.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,690,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
He has a right carry, and he has a right to carry in the airport.

However, he cant expect not to attract the attention of security or not to alrm people who are not from Atlanta and dont know the law. It would be negligent of security to ignore the fact that someone is inside the building with such a weapon.

Its like me walking through naked (which would get me arrested), I AM going to attract attention, and not all of it will be positive. My naked body may not please you, but it doesnt have the potential to cause several people to drop dead from it either, lol.

Im not sure it be would necessary to have three officers follow him once he left the building. I would think there would be cameras to watch him safely get in his vehicle, but I could be wrong. I guess you could look at that as a suggestion not to do that again. It's obviously disruptive to everyone, including the guy carrying the rifle.

At the very least, if you dont want attention, keep a low profile. Carrying a semi-automatic rifle with a 100 round mag is hardly a low profile. Even in an open carry state, it would concern me to see it in the grocery store, or the local library. Someone would have a right to carry it in the grocery store, and I would have a right to try to determine if their intentions were benign - or not.

I dont think they did anything wrong by approaching him. And just like he has a right to carry, security has a right to see what he is going to do with that rifle - if anything - until he is completely away from the property.
That's a fair assessment. If a person walks into an airport without an open carry rifle and just meanders around with no particular reason to be there, security will tag him and watch him. It's what they do. It's what they're supposed to do.
With an AR, just walking around for no particular reason, he would be tagged and tagged big time. He didn't buy a ticket. He wasn't looking for someone off an incoming flight, he was just there, walking aimlessly, with no purpose. No one, least of all security knows his state of mind. Security did exactly what they were supposed to do and did it with great restraint, IMO.

Last edited by mohawkx; 06-05-2015 at 09:44 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 PM

6,012 posts, read 4,242,245 times
I think people often misunderstand what it means to have a "right" to take a certain action. It doesn't mean that action is beyond reproach. I have a right to tell the nice old lady at the grocery store that she's old, fat, ugly, and is probably going to die soon. That doesn't mean it is in any way a good idea to do so, or that my doing so shouldn't be heavily criticized and opposed by society. I think the same should be done to these "open carry because I can" people. They are not carrying out of some legitimate safety concern, but rather to get a rise from law enforcement and create a stir among other people. It's very selfish behavior.

"Oh, but he's exercising his right..." Good grief. "Exercising my right" is a nearly meaningless phrase. Literally, all it means is that there is no law against your action.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,636,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
I agree, you may have the right to do so, but common sense would tell you that you're gonna freak out everyone. I respect people's opinions on guns, and I understand it's our right to bear arms, but personally, I'm not a fan of guns. Maybe it's because I was not raised around them so I'm not comfortable around them. I'd be freaked out if someone showed up at the airport with a weapon like this out in the open. Especially in this day in age, when we see so many horrible things happening. Just my opinion....
Don't fly into Arizona. Lol

Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,690,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Don't fly into Arizona. Lol
Hmm, I fly in and out of Sky Harbor all the time and I've never seen an open carry in the airport. I've only heard about the guy who showed up with one and got his fifteen minutes and half a million hits on the u-tub.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 PM

277 posts, read 366,755 times
Try that at LAX and see how they react. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lax-shoo...wounds-others/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies