Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 12:37 PM

6,012 posts, read 4,242,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
If concealed carry was legal for all law abiding citizens the BAD guys would behave a lot better because the odds of one of their innocent victims being armed would increase.
I've heard this a million times. Everyone has. I'm just not sure it's true. Many criminals who perform large public shootings have a death wish as well, and they often either die at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot or a shootout with the police. In those cases, it doesn't seem important whether other citizens have guns.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:45 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,747,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You claimed my post was irrelevant. I almost would love to see how you would spin this, but it would be a waste of my time, so don't bother. And it's a good thing you aren't in any authoritative role in which decisions, laws and procedures are made. You do realize that some of the laws, procedures and policies we have, really with anything, were created based on hypothetical, "what if" situations, right? I ask the same thing anytime there's a crime that involves a black person on CD.
LOL. Very weak defense attempt. I don't need to have an authoritative role to call irrelevancy when I see it. Hypothetical situations argued as fact are irrelevant. Period. And you continue to dig that hole deeper with every post.

Now if you wish to "ask" fair question, then ask it. But like I always say, you can't complain once you have your answer. If you wish to state opinion then state it. It's opinion, nobody cares.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,892,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
My family and I were spending a week in Moab Utah a few years ago visiting the Nat'l parks etc. One morning I took my little girl to a diner across the street from our hotel to get some breakfast. There were two men sitting at the table next to us and my daughter noticed he had a gun. She just sat their frozen with fear. "Mommy - that man could kill us all". I assured her that he meant no harm to anyone, but non-the-less, he ruined our breakfast because my kid was to afraid to stay there.

I respect the right to carry, but common sense should be practiced. Why in the world do people feel so threatened that they need the world to see their gun? I had no gun or weapon at all and felt no threat. It's a bunch of people eating breakfast in a diner for god's sake. You know... people say things like "please", "thank you" and often they even hold the door for you! (Very scary stuff).
You don't suppose your daughter picked up her IRRATIONAL fear of armed citizens from you do you? And who gives you the right to define COMMON SENSE?

Old 06-06-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
You don't suppose your daughter picked up her IRRATIONAL fear of armed citizens from you do you? And who gives you the right to define COMMON SENSE?
It is not irrational for a child to have a fear of weapons. That is a healthy concern.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:20 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,892,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I've heard this a million times. Everyone has. I'm just not sure it's true. Many criminals who perform large public shootings have a death wish as well, and they often either die at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot or a shootout with the police. In those cases, it doesn't seem important whether other citizens have guns.

Several years ago there was a mass killing in a cafeteria in Texas. Google it for the details. Over 20 some people died in that killing with 43 shot.. If I remember correctly at the time of the shooting Texas had either not passed Concealed Carry or the business place prohibited weapons on the premises. Quoted from Wikipedia, a source I usually do not trust,
. . . m "The Luby's shooting was a mass shooting that took place on October 16, 1991, at a restaurant in Killeen, Texas. George Hennard crashed his pickup truck through the front plate glass window of the Luby's Cafeteria at 1705 East Central Texas Expressway, shot 43 people, exchanged shots with responding police, and then hid in a bathroom and fatally shot himself"...

". . .
In response to the incident,[21] the Texas Legislature in 1995 passed a shall-issue gun law, which requires that all qualifying applicants be issued a Concealed Handgun License (the state's required permit to carry concealed weapons), removing the personal discretion of the issuing authority to deny such licenses. To qualify for a license, one must be free-and-clear of crimes, attend a minimum 10-hour class taught by a state-certified instructor, pass a 50-question test, show proficiency in a 50-round shooting test, and pass two background tests, one shallow and one deep. The license costs $140 for a four-year license; in addition applicants must pay $10 for fingerprinting as well as instructor costs which vary.
The law had been campaigned for by Suzanna Hupp, who was present at the time of the shooting where both of her parents were shot and killed. She later expressed regret about deciding to leave her gun in her car lest she risk possibly running afoul of the state's concealed weapons laws; during the shootings, she reached for her weapon but then remembered that it was "a hundred feet away in my car."[22] She testified across the country in support of concealed handgun laws, and was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1996.[23] The law was signed by then-Governor George W. Bush.[24]
A simple pink granite memorial stands behind the Killeen Community Center with the date of the event and the names of those killed."

Now for the big What if. What if just one Law Abiding citizen would have been carrying a concealed weapon? Is it possible the number of injured and dead would have been much less?

Oh wait a minute! on that date Texas did not have a Concealed Carry Law or even an open carry Law as a matter of fact so there would not have been an ARMED Law Abiding citizen with a firearm there. Go to YouTube and do a search for the Video of Suzanna Hupp and listen to what she has to say about Gun Control. BTW her Father and Mother both died in front of her eyes and she was a Law Abiding citizen that had a firearm in the glove box of her car.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:31 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,229,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It is not irrational for a child to have a fear of weapons. That is a healthy concern.
I think it's extremely irrational for anybody to have a fear of any inanimate object!

Old 06-06-2015, 01:45 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,358,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
I think it's extremely irrational for anybody to have a fear of any inanimate object!
Would you feel comfortable sleeping with a grenade under your bed?

Old 06-06-2015, 01:47 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,229,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Would you feel comfortable sleeping with a grenade under your bed?
Absolutely! Without the pin being pulled or it being in a fire, it's totally safe!

Old 06-06-2015, 02:28 PM

53 posts, read 42,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
I respect the right to carry, but common sense should be practiced. Why in the world do people feel so threatened that they need the world to see their gun? I had no gun or weapon at all and felt no threat. It's a bunch of people eating breakfast in a diner for god's sake. You know... people say things like "please", "thank you" and often they even hold the door for you! (Very scary stuff).

Thankfully this guy, eating breakfast as well, didn't have your attitude:

Video: Waffle House Burglar Shot, Killed by Concealed Carry Permit Holder - Breitbart

Just because you are having breakfast, dinner, shopping, etc. does not mean the bad guys are going to "leave you alone."

Your child clearly learned the irrational fear of firearms from you. A better lesson would be to point out how no one was injured and they were keeping customers safe.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely! Without the pin being pulled or it being in a fire, it's totally safe!

You can't be serious. It is very easy to imagine inanimate objects that present great danger. Imagine a crane holding a wrecking ball above your house. What if you also knew that the crane was very old, hadn't been serviced in years, and several inspectors had thought there was a good likelihood that the crane could fail? Or imagine a building that was very old and had been condemned. The idea that things are not dangerous because they are inanimate is silly. Tornadoes are inanimate. So are avalanches, earthquakes and lightning.

However, you are obviously ignoring some important considerations here. While few people would be afraid to look at a gun in a glass display case, that is not the situation in real life. There is a person who is holding that gun, and if that person is a stranger, we don't know anything about that person's psychological makeup. Further, there is always some risk of an accident.

It is not irrational for a child to be afraid of a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies