Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times

Advertisements

And probably all over the USA. Why do we allow our government to control every aspect of our lives? This is absolutely pathetic and a total waste of LE resources. If LE has time for this, we need to reduce LE staff. Meanwhile, illegal aliens cross over our border by the thousands with impunity.
-------------------
OVERTON, TX (KLTV) - A lemonade stand operated by two young girls received national attention after police asked for a permit. Wednesday, police released the video of their encounter with the girls' mother.

In the video, released by the Overton Police Department, the first question to the girls' mother was in reference to a permit.

You see in the video the city's code enforcement officer drive up to the location of the girls' stand, get out, and ask for their mother. Once the officer identifies the mother, she asks about the permit. Both women are off-camera.

"You get a permit with the city to serve this?" the officer asks.

"I didn't know I had to," the mother replies.

"Yes ma'am," the officer says.

"Really?" the mother asks, "for a lemonade stand? I had no clue."

"Yes ma'am," the officer replies.

Police video shows officer questioning about lemonade stand perm - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:35 AM

109 posts, read 74,674 times
I thought liberals loved regulating businesses?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,953,281 times
OP, most of your claims of "government oppression" are done by the government units most cherished by....voters such as yourself; local government. Might want to think about that next time you or anyone else who thinks like you goes on a long winded rant about government oppression.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, most of your claims of "government oppression" are done by the government units most cherished by....voters such as yourself; local government. Might want to think about that next time you or anyone else who thinks like you goes on a long winded rant about government oppression.
Government abuse of power is wrong regardless of when and where. I don't need to think about it at all. Just because somebody supports strong states rights doesn't mean they automatically approve of what those states do. Yes, I believe government should occur at the lowest level possible, close to the people. But that doesn't mean local government will do what's right. It just means that bad decisions are made closer to the citizens.

So if the idiots in one town choose to have lemonade stands licensed (maybe their LE has nothing better to do) and smart people another town choose not to, that's OK.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Government abuse of power is wrong regardless of when and where. I don't need to think about it at all. Just because somebody supports strong states rights doesn't mean they automatically approve of what those states do. Yes, I believe government should occur at the lowest level possible, close to the people. But that doesn't mean local government will do what's right. It just means that bad decisions are made closer to the citizens.

So if the idiots in one town choose to have lemonade stands licensed (maybe their LE has nothing better to do) and smart people another town choose not to, that's OK.
So you're saying that government oppression is ok, just as long as it's down on a local level so you can "vote with your feet". What you should be saying, as a freedom loving American (I hope), government oppression on all levels of government is wrong.

But, then again, code enforcement is not oppression anyway.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:14 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,982,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micla0 View Post
I thought liberals loved regulating businesses?
Liberals are the ones knowingly promoting the advancement of police state through the Big Government they want. Most police vote Democrat because of that.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
So you're saying that government oppression is ok, just as long as it's down on a local level so you can "vote with your feet". What you should be saying, as a freedom loving American (I hope), government oppression on all levels of government is wrong.

But, then again, code enforcement is not oppression anyway.
No, I never said government oppression is OK at any level, but if idiots in one town choose it, that's their problem. Stop twisting my words.

And code enforcement isn't the primary issue. It's the code itself. No town should require kids to get a permit to sell lemonade.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Liberals are the ones knowingly promoting the advancement of police state through the Big Government they want. Most police vote Democrat because of that.
More police vote Republican than Democrat seriously mm4, you need to stop embarrassing yourself

The GOP and Police Unions: A Love Story - The Daily Beast

Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,240,346 times
Liberals love regulating business as they get money for their extortionate regulations.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:46 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,982,548 times
Quote:
More police vote Republican than Democrat seriously mm4, you need to stop embarrassing yourself

The GOP and Police Unions: A Love Story - The Daily Beast
As you're likely to be, robto was surprised too (by a Verdant Labs study he cites here):
Politics of professions in US
"Why Police officers tend to lean a little bit towards Democrats?! (That result was really surprising to me)" -robto, C-D commentator

Meanwhile your Daily Beast article doesn't cite a source, it simply opines like MSNBC does, and like you're doing.

Meanwhile, the whole world knows that progressives actively promote funding of a Big Government that they're fully aware results in a police state that enjoys salary and benefits that its public employee unions vote to preserve.

Last edited by mm4; 06-11-2015 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies