Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times

Advertisements

Yes/Yes
Yes/No
No/No
No/Yes

I thought about making a poll, but heck with that.
I don't think selling sex or selling pot/most light drugs is a big moral issue. I just don't.

These are legal in all sorts of countries. They haven't exploded into a hot mess.
Let adults be adults. Let's be responsible. Small government and all that.
Then again, maybe the USA can't do what other countries can do.
They can handle it. We can't.
I've thought about that before, too.

Maybe we just have to admit we aren't as good at handling things as the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 09:53 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Some drugs certainly should be legal. Marijuana especially, being virtually harmless and significantly safer to use the alcohol, the most consumed drug in the US (and probably the world). Other drugs should be decriminalized. I don't think people should use heroin, but sending them to prison is pointless. Treat their addictions and get on with it. Prison won't fix and addict.

Prostitution is tricky. I don't think people should be paying for sex, but at the same time, if it's between two consenting adults... what difference does it really make? The moral issue with prostitution comes in with human trafficking, but history has shown that decriminalizing something removes organized crime from the picture. Prohibition is a good example. Alcohol was illegal, so organized crime bootlegged; once it was legal again, the bootlegging was no longer necessary and it stopped. Prostitution would likely follow a similar patter if it were legal.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:56 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,996 times
It's against Forum Rules for me to verbalize what I think about your Immoral, Sinful proposal.

It's easy to see why this nation has sunk SO LOW, Tho....with some people wanting this kind of garbage becoming legalized. - But, NO Big surprise, most of it already is. How SICK and degrading.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
It's against Forum Rules for me to verbalize what I think about your Immoral, Sinful proposal.

It's easy to see why this nation has sunk SO LOW, Tho....with some people wanting this kind of garbage becoming legalized. - But, NO Big surprise, most of it already is. How SICK and degrading.
Is smoking pot really immoral and sinful? I can understand this reaction for the prostitution bit, but seriously, drugs are immoral?

I assume you think alcohol and tobacco should be illegal too? And where do you draw the line? Should aspirin be criminalized as well? After all, God intended for you to have the friggin headache, so you'll just have to deal with it. Treating it would be an abomination.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Is smoking pot really immoral and sinful? I can understand this reaction for the prostitution bit, but seriously, drugs are immoral?

I assume you think alcohol and tobacco should be illegal too? And where do you draw the line? Should aspirin be criminalized as well? After all, God intended for you to have the friggin headache, so you'll just have to deal with it. Treating it would be an abomination.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:09 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
legalize both well at least marijuana as far as drugs to start. The money spent in the criminal system that doesn't do any good would better used for help and rehabilitation for those who can change their life around.

You know most people who sell themselves because of addiction are because of addiction to pharmaceutical drugs like "oxicoton" and "dilotta" opiate narcotics. They may then use heroin instead because its cheaper than those pharmaceutical drugs.

If you look at the history of these people who go down that path most often it was because of parents who were also drug addicts, or abusers or because of mental health issues. Putting them in jail over and over doesn't end that cycle. Once out of jail again many of these people have nowhere to turn because their family are not around or are the reason they went that path so they go back to the same bad drug areas and people in that life and do it all again.

There are also some who will never be able to change, no matter what.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
yes/yes/yes (gambling as well)

These are all personal decisions. Unless engaging in one of these activities can be shown to directly impact another person against their will, the state has no reason or right to prohibit such behavior.

I do think the state can play a limited oversight role for the purpose of controlling against the participation of minors and addressing auxiliary criminal activity.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
In the immortal words of George Carlin :

Sex is legal..selling is legal, why shouldn't selling sex be legal?

I don't see the difference anyway I've never known a woman in my life that goes out with a guy that isn't spending money on her. All men are paying for it in some way. If women want to change the gender roles I'll gladly let you take me to an NHL game or a concert just don't expect me to put out I'm not that easy lol.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 02-01-2015 at 10:49 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
yes/yes/yes (gambling as well)

These are all personal decisions. .
Well sometimes yes, sometimes no. Life long friend of mine a musician I am again writing songs with has battled addiction forever. It mainly started with a motorcycle accident and a really messed up leg. He became addicted to prescribed opiates then dabbed in other drugs like heroin when the prescriptions were not enough.

He comes from a loving family and he is lucky they are there to help him. He is off these opiates now but battles the continued pain and addiction that calls him.

Others never had a choice, some come from bad families who took them into the path of drugs, who may have sold them to feed addiction or purposely got their kid addicted, or were abusers , these people have nowhere to turn for help as far as family. The criminal system arrests them, puts them back out and in part sets them up to fail again.Or they may have mental issues. Once they have a felony for drug possession the odds of them getting a real job are limited.

With no family for support, with no decent job the only place to live is the bad side of town surrounded by other drug users and back into the life style they go. The lucky ones have some sort of family who may take them, help them, get them away from the areas and life....but most don't.

So you can continue paying your taxes to jail and release them which changes nothing or use that money for rehabilitation which won't save them all but will hopefully some.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post

What does YOUR morality have to do with me? I guess if a woman wants to give it up for free OR be taken out for dinner and a movie first, it's okay? Or should that be illegal too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies