Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
No, the rest of us are not responsible for some other person's choices. People should be responsible, using self-control and birth control (that they pay for). Anyone who can't afford birth control certainly can't afford to raise a child.
Texas is solid proof that "abstinence only" DOES NOT WORK. You are correct in that raising a child costs more than birth control. Tax payers WILL pay either way, so let's pay for the cheaper option: birth control.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:25 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It seems to be the role of climate "believers" to run other peoples lives for them. To quote the lyrics of Jonathan Edwards' Sunshine (link below):
Sunshine go away today
I don't feel much like dancing
Some man's gone, he's tried to run my life
Don't know what he's asking

How much does it cost, I'll buy it
The time is all we've lost, I'll try it
But he can't even run his own life
I'll be damned if he'll run mine, Sunshine

Read more: Jonathan Edwards - Sunshine Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Seriously, I don't mind being informed. I don't want someone else trying to shame me into following their agenda.
By making speeches and movies. Flying private planes to travel. And living in opulent Nashville house. All based on "credits" for his save the world activities.
Yup. Exactly.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:56 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yup. Exactly.
Thank you. At least someone agrees with me here.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Pray tell, why isn't all that "greenhouse gas" escaping from "the hole in the ozone layer" that the environmentalists were squawking about a few decades ago?
What do you believe are the climatic consequences on our environment for using 100 million barrels a day of fossil fuels/oil?

Some points to ponder=
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...global+warming

Old 06-14-2015, 07:07 AM

309 posts, read 258,202 times
Concerning population control: the highest birth rate and population growth is currently in Africa, driven by the Western charity and foreign aid. Until we stop feeding all those mouths that lack the ability to feed themselves, and allow Nature to take its course, everyone in the West might just as well have 19 kids like the Dougars.

How's that for a right-wing solution?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:23 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
It's a great question, OP. When you stop to think about it, how stupid is it to dig something up out of the ground just so we can burn it? We could power so much of our world with clean, renewable energy if we wanted to. But as usual, huge, vested corporate interests want to prevent that from happening.

The way I've always looked at it is that even if you don't think global warming is a problem, why wouldn't you want to do whatever you can to treat the planet and its resources with care? It's not like we can fly off to another planet if we screw up this one.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:30 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon X Seaworthy View Post
It displaces food crops.

It has very little return on investment and can actually be negative. It's like asking why you can't run the economy on hydrogen made from water.
You know what displaces food crops? Animals raised for meat. Most of the grains we grow in this country go not to feed people, but the animals that are then killed for their flesh. Same goes for the massive amount of water used to feed those animals.

This argument that we can't grow ethanol because it displaces food crops rings hollow because it ignores the single largest thing that already displaces our food crops. A meat-based diet is horribly inefficient. I've always been puzzled by why more environmentalists (and I consider myself one) don't focus more on this topic.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:36 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
You know what displaces food crops? Animals raised for meat. Most of the grains we grow in this country go not to feed people, but the animals that are then killed for their flesh. Same goes for the massive amount of water used to feed those animals.

This argument that we can't grow ethanol because it displaces food crops rings hollow because it ignores the single largest thing that already displaces our food crops. A meat-based diet is horribly inefficient. I've always been puzzled by why more environmentalists (and I consider myself one) don't focus more on this topic.
I think you are missing the point.

If we create an artificial market for ethanol (a highly inefficient fuel source, BTW), more farmers will grow cord due to the increased profits. The more farmers that grow corn, the less that will grow less profitable grains, such as barley, oats and wheat. That will cause all foods composed or produced from these grains to rise accordingly, as there will be a much more limited supply of them. By extension, meat prices will also rise accordingly as it will cost farmers more to feed their livestock. As such, we will all end up paying much more for our weekly groceries for what amounts to very little gain. When you factor in the damage ethanol causes in engines not designed to run it, it doesn't seem worth it in the slightest.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:28 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It seems to be the role of climate "believers" to run other peoples lives for them. To quote the lyrics of Jonathan Edwards' Sunshine (link below):

Seriously, I don't mind being informed. I don't want someone else trying to shame me into following their agenda.
Yup... when you stop and realize they ignore the cold aspects and growing ice, then you realize whos getting brainwashed.. The "push" is really sad and unfortunately the general public doesn't know how to research themselves. They just rely on the media and big names like NOAA for things.

Speaking of............... Did you guys see the latest? NOAA couldn't take seeing "The Pause" in Global Warming or the Global Cooling since 2000 (which NASA admitted), so they adjusted the data AGAIN!! This is out of hand now.

Don't worry.. NOAA's source is in this link. I will quote them here... More details with link..

NOAA Tampers With Data To Erase The Global Warming 'Hiatus' | The Daily Caller

Quote:
Newly corrected and updated global surface temperature data from NOAA’s [National Centers for Environmental Information] do not support the notion of a global warming ‘hiatus,'”

Another quote:

" To increase the rate in warming, NOAA scientists put more weight on certain ocean buoy arrays, adjusted ship-based temperature readings upward, and slightly raised land-based temperatures as well. Scientists said adjusted ship-based temperature data “had the largest impact on trends for the 2000-2014 time period, accounting for 0.030°C of the 0.064°C trend difference.” They added that the “buoy offset correction contributed 0.014°C… to the difference, and the additional weight given to the buoys because of their greater accuracy contributed 0.012°C.”
This isn't the first time they adjusted and tampered with the data. But again... general public doesn't know

Old 06-14-2015, 12:40 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup... when you stop and realize they ignore the cold aspects and growing ice, then you realize whos getting brainwashed.. The "push" is really sad and unfortunately the general public doesn't know how to research themselves. They just rely on the media and big names like NOAA for things.

Speaking of............... Did you guys see the latest? NOAA couldn't take seeing "The Pause" in Global Warming or the Global Cooling since 2000 (which NASA admitted), so they adjusted the data AGAIN!! This is out of hand now.

Don't worry.. NOAA's source is in this link. I will quote them here... More details with link..

NOAA Tampers With Data To Erase The Global Warming 'Hiatus' | The Daily Caller

This isn't the first time they adjusted and tampered with the data. But again... general public doesn't know
At the risk of repeating myself (I don't know if I posted this here or elsewhere) I'll believe in a temperature trend if I see it at cities that have good records for a lengthy period. I don't want to hear about buoys, tree rings, etc. since they are subject to manipulation, "adjustment" and interpretation.

As far as I know the weather in most continuously inhabited temperature zone cities is similar to that existing at the time of the Revolutionary War. And believe me the farmers kept good, continuous records since climate was a life or death matter. And these records are hard to tamper with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies