Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 07:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You forgot so soon? You introduced bloated overhead...not me.
Forgot? Bloated overhead is a problem. Pointing it out is trying to improve the system not some "right wing" talking point.

Quote:
And I quoted over all numbers on overhead...which is simply not a big deal whether bloated or not.
That is an incredibly sad statement.

Quote:
In fact our nearby charter got nailed with the head helping herself to some funds. Interesting though - the parents all rushed to her defense...even though it was obvious she had her fingers in the till. Why? They had managed to establish a neat little middle class school with none of the normal problems. Did not want to lose it over a few dollars...and they won.
Did I note that charter schools don't necessarily fix the problem or not?

Quote:
And by the way I suspect most charters will end up corrupt to one degree or another...as will the commercial private school that will start up here over the next year or two. Money...does it every time.
As far as I'm aware most Catholic schools seem to run on the up and up. As do a large percentage of public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,772,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Since you don't seem to know it is CONSERVATIVE Republicans that want to CONTROL by FEDERAL order who a person marries AND how a woman handles her reproductive rights.... MY guess is a LOT of them are sexually repressed and/or conflicted.
Would you care to cite the federal order? I was under the impression that Barack Hussein Obama is a Democrat.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,772,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Here is the entire post I was replying to;

Two of the BIGGEST decisions a person will ever make in their life are WHO they marry and whether to have children, the Right Wingers would ban all forms of Birth Control if they could, we KNOW they want to control who someone marries..
The first requires evidence, the second is complete nonsense. I have already cited leftist controlled states who have laws controlling who can marry and under what circumstances.

Quote:
For the first, states are the ones who make laws concerning marriage. For instance, they control the ability of a person under a certain age to marry. They confine marriage to two people by having laws against bigamy and polygamy. They require permission from the state to marry. Personally I think that no one should have to get permission from a state to marry. States that have these laws include Massachusetts, Hawaii, New York, Illinois, and Maryland.
Also, you are off topic.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,815,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Forgot? Bloated overhead is a problem. Pointing it out is trying to improve the system not some "right wing" talking point.

That is an incredibly sad statement.

Did I note that charter schools don't necessarily fix the problem or not?

As far as I'm aware most Catholic schools seem to run on the up and up. As do a large percentage of public schools.
Nonsense. Bloated overhead is bad...but it is a problem only in ther mind of RWNs so I guess you are one.

The mere existence of a problem does not create a catastrophe. YOu look at how big it is and what impact. Again I would worry a lot more about what Administrator do and don't do than I would about their cost.

On the Catholic Schools you are naive. Let me tell you about the Monsignor. No I won't but there are lots of fun stories. The church is quite good at the cover. And the Catholic Schools are notorious for treating their teachers very badly. I doubt though they will be a big factor in all this though if the NV money lasts for a while I will guarantee you the Gorman High School tuition will go up $4000.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Bloated overhead is bad...but it is a problem only in ther mind of RWNs so I guess you are one.
If agreeing that bloated overhead is a bad but only being willing to deal with it if you are a RWN, then fine I'm guilty. I wouldn't want to admit what that must make you other than unworthy to continue a discussion on this.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:24 PM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
The 50 top elementary schools in Las Vegas have over 70% of their student competent or better. The 50 bottom schools don't get to half. The bottom 10 schools have 25% or so competent or better. To a large degree this says the schools are already sorted into good, neutral and bad.

And what do you think happens to those bottom schools if you pull out the competent 25%?
Does it matter? Those students don't do well, anyway. Why sacrifice our top students' education just because many on the bottom don't do well? Meanwhile, foreign countries' top students kick America's top students' asses because our public schools REFUSE to adequately educate our top students.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If agreeing that bloated overhead is a bad but only being willing to deal with it if you are a RWN, then fine I'm guilty. I wouldn't want to admit what that must make you other than unworthy to continue a discussion on this.
You go for a cardiac surgeon when you need a pimple opened?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Does it matter? Those students don't do well, anyway. Why sacrifice our top students' education just because many on the bottom don't do well? Meanwhile, foreign countries' top students kick America's top students' asses because our public schools REFUSE to adequately educate our top students.
The students who don't do well are the problem. You do not find best and brightest students in large numbers in bad schools. And they do well anyway. The vast majority of the best and brightest are very good at beating the system whatever it is.

You always fear that some really great kid will get ground down by the system. And it certainly does happen. But that is not why we look bad on international tests.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:13 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
The students who don't do well are the problem.
Because they're dragging everyone else down. Public schools need to stop catering to the bottom while dragging the top and middle down. Period. The focus on the bottom in the US is why our top students lag their peers in the rest of the industrialized world.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because they're dragging everyone else down. Public schools need to stop catering to the bottom while dragging the top and middle down. Period. The focus on the bottom in the US is why our top students lag their peers in the rest of the industrialized world.
No Because they do so badly themselves. And if they did as well as everyone else they could not drag anyone else down could they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies