Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 05:45 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
For the first, states are the ones who make laws concerning marriage. For instance, they control the ability of a person under a certain age to marry. They confine marriage to two people by having laws against bigamy and polygamy. They require permission from the state to marry. Personally I think that no one should have to get permission from a state to marry. States that have these laws include Massachusetts, Hawaii, New York, Illinois, and Maryland. For the second, you will have to clarify. I am unaware of any law that prohibits reproduction. Eugenics and forced sterilization was a program endorsed by many leftist Democrats, but it is no longer in place.

Since you don't seem to know it is CONSERVATIVE Republicans that want to CONTROL by FEDERAL order who a person marries AND how a woman handles her reproductive rights.... MY guess is a LOT of them are sexually repressed and/or conflicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 05:47 PM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Why they should all send their kids to the upper most elite schools of course. And you believe we should pay for it?
Are you really understanding what you're implying? You're deliberately advocating for the dumbing-down of our country's most high-potential students. Meanwhile, other countries' top students are kicking our best students' asses.

Quote:
The educational structure has the task of getting all kids reasonably well educated.
A task at which it is SPECTACULARLY failing. Time after time. Test after different test.

Look at the NAEP results. Only 1/3 of all students meet the standard for grade-level proficiency.

U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News

Despite that heavy spending, K-12 public education in the U.S. is a disaster. U.S. public schools educate only 26% of all public school students to even basic grade-level proficiency in math, 38% in reading, by 12th grade.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Since you don't seem to know it is CONSERVATIVE Republicans that want to CONTROL by FEDERAL order who a person marries AND how a woman handles her reproductive rights.... MY guess is a LOT of them are sexually repressed and/or conflicted.
Is Common Core responsible for this ?

Either you are way off base or replied in the wrong thread ....

Old 06-23-2015, 06:16 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Is Common Core responsible for this ?

Either you are way off base or replied in the wrong thread ....
Here is the entire post I was replying to;
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Actually, leftists exist outside of partisanship or ideology. Leftism is rooted in power and control, and that is the sole aim of all leftists. Some of them have even read Marx and Engels. Marx was trying to explain history through an economic lens. He didn't seek power and control. If he did it is unlikely that he would have lived in abject poverty. Besides, Karl Marx himself said that he was not a Marxist. His theories got co-opted and then corrupted by the leftists. Vladimir Lenin is their high priest.
Two of the BIGGEST decisions a person will ever make in their life are WHO they marry and whether to have children, the Right Wingers would ban all forms of Birth Control if they could, we KNOW they want to control who someone marries..

Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Here we go again. What makes me right wing? My support for gay marriage? For the liberalization of drug laws? Being against the wars and the death penalty? Still pushing for jail time for the bankers? Supporting Occupy?

Get the stick out of your eye and maybe this could be discussed without the boogeyman excuses.
I did not state your are right wing. . What I stated was the administrative overhead is a right wing strawman. One of many.

That is because it is way too small a number to have any serious effect. If there is a problem with administration it is what they do or don't do...not what they cost.

You may well be right wing though...as indicate by the defensive posture you immediately assumed.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you really understanding what you're implying? You're deliberately advocating for the dumbing-down of our country's most high-potential students. Meanwhile, other countries' top students are kicking our best students' asses.

A task at which it is SPECTACULARLY failing. Time after time. Test after different test.

Look at the NAEP results. Only 1/3 of all students meet the standard for grade-level proficiency.

U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News

Despite that heavy spending, K-12 public education in the U.S. is a disaster. U.S. public schools educate only 26% of all public school students to even basic grade-level proficiency in math, 38% in reading, by 12th grade.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013
The 50 top elementary schools in Las Vegas have over 70% of their student competent or better. The 50 bottom schools don't get to half. The bottom 10 schools have 25% or so competent or better. To a large degree this says the schools are already sorted into good, neutral and bad.

And what do you think happens to those bottom schools if you pull out the competent 25%? Do you think learning will still be possible?

If only 1/3 of our children are succeeding who do you try to improve? The 1/3 that are OK or the 2/3 that are failing?

So your theory is fix the top 1/3 and abandon the rest? How does that work out.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I did not state your are right wing. . What I stated was the administrative overhead is a right wing strawman. One of many.
It was completely irrelevant to anything I had said. It's a cheap tactic used by many. Address me not your boogeymen.

Quote:
That is because it is way too small a number to have any serious effect. If there is a problem with administration it is what they do or don't do...not what they cost.
I did a pretty in depth research on the system in Cleveland Ohio. What was going on was jobs being filled and created over nepotism and political pay backs. Many were not even qualified for the jobs.

Quote:
You may well be right wing though...as indicate by the defensive posture you immediately assumed.
I call out crap arguments whenever they are made. I support public education. The problem with the charter schools in Cleveland was they ended up corrupt also and were shut down.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Uh, it started with George W Bush and "no child left behind".

The History of Common Core State Standards - US News

When will some of you people get it through your heads that both political parties have been bought and paid for and essentially have the same puppet masters?
Lol - so true.

I just love on this wack-job forum how anything questionable is "liberal" or "leftist."

I eagerly await idiocy such as "man dies from liberal cancer" or "left-wing tornado destroys home."

The stupidity and laughable rewriting of history is just pathetic.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Lol - so true.

I just love on this wack-job forum how anything questionable is "liberal" or "leftist."

I eagerly await idiocy such as "man dies from liberal cancer" or "left-wing tornado destroys home."

The stupidity and laughable rewriting of history is just pathetic.
Education is progressive.

NCLB was Ted Kennedy's baby. That should show you the bipartisanship when it comes to education.
It's run by progressives, not Dems and not Repubs.

And all these grand programs originate in the private sector.

Achieve Inc. and Business Roundtable are what you should be looking at.
And they go back to the 80's with their work on outcome based education.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Rarely is it in these systems that have historically done poorly. I'll support more money when there are strings attached that allows someone fire those in the system that is unable to help kids improve. This includes bloated overhead. If the position does nothing for the kids, remove it.
You forgot so soon? You introduced bloated overhead...not me.

Quote:
It was completely irrelevant to anything I had said. It's a cheap tactic used by many. Address me not your boogeymen.

I did a pretty in depth research on the system in Cleveland Ohio. What was going on was jobs being filled and created over nepotism and political pay backs. Many were not even qualified for the jobs.

I call out crap arguments whenever they are made. I support public education. The problem with the charter schools in Cleveland was they ended up corrupt also and were shut down.
And I quoted over all numbers on overhead...which is simply not a big deal whether bloated or not.

In fact our nearby charter got nailed with the head helping herself to some funds. Interesting though - the parents all rushed to her defense...even though it was obvious she had her fingers in the till. Why? They had managed to establish a neat little middle class school with none of the normal problems. Did not want to lose it over a few dollars...and they won.

And by the way I suspect most charters will end up corrupt to one degree or another...as will the commercial private school that will start up here over the next year or two. Money...does it every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies