Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 05:45 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm black (although I don't care for the word), but I don't like the term African-American either. *shrugs*
I always kind of liked "spade." When I was in military intelligence, everyone else called us intel guys "spooks," and I always smiled inwardly at that unintended double entendre, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:03 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,579,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
How about renaming you "Caribbean"? You may not personally have origins in the Caribbean, but the Caribbean nations are where blacks are the overwhelming majority. There never were indigenous people on the islands, and the whites mostly left long ago as colonization mostly ended. But now I have a new question... why do Caribbean blacks still seem to have an African accent? I can't tell apart a Haitian from a Nigerian based on accent alone.
places like jamaica and trinidad have been independent from european rule for about 40 years. natives in haiti were called arawaks.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:50 AM

20,517 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I always kind of liked "spade." When I was in military intelligence, everyone else called us intel guys "spooks," and I always smiled inwardly at that unintended double entendre, too.
Not following..

Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 AM

20,517 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
How about renaming you "Caribbean"? You may not personally have origins in the Caribbean, but the Caribbean nations are where blacks are the overwhelming majority. There never were indigenous people on the islands, and the whites mostly left long ago as colonization mostly ended. But now I have a new question... why do Caribbean blacks still seem to have an African accent? I can't tell apart a Haitian from a Nigerian based on accent alone.
You can't? I can and I sense no african accent with Caribbeans. I can't tell if one is from Africa it is one is from America/Caribbean. You will find a similarity here and there but most times? Nah. That's me.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not following..
Black Americans have been called "spades" and "spooks" in the past, among other things.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:19 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,017,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
places like jamaica and trinidad have been independent from european rule for about 40 years. natives in haiti were called arawaks.
Don't forget there are people who are ethnically Indian (from India) who live in Trinidad and Tobago, French Guayana, and maybe some other countries I am forgetting right now. That is in addition to the natives who are from the islands originally. The Arawaks and Tainos are some of the native tribes that come to mind, who have mixed with English, black, Spanish and India Indians.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"African-American" can have a lot of meanings, but so can "cow."

The fact is, in the American context, you and everyone else know what the term is intended to mean.
That is true, there are many meanings for some words

Old 06-22-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I wonder... why were Africans chosen to be slaves? There were plenty of whites not respected by the colonists that could have been used instead.
Whites were used as slaves before blacks were brought here. England was notorious for shipping it's criminals, orphans, and other unwanted people to the colonies to be exploited for labor. That's why Australia is famously a colony of former criminals. England was very overpopulated at the time and they got rid of the undesirable people by putting them on boats and sending them to the colonies. In the colonies they were treated as slaves or indentured servants who had to work for a set number of years before they could have a chance at freedom, but freedom was not guaranteed.

There was also a period of time in many of the colonies where attempts were made to enslave the natives, but it didn't work very well because the natives were familiar with the land and they would frequently escape. People brought here from foreign lands were afraid to run away because they were afraid of dying in the wilderness, although there are stories of escaped slaves who joined Native American tribes.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
That is true, there are many meanings for some words
As I said: The fact is, in the American context, you and everyone else know what the term is intended to mean.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Whites were used as slaves before blacks were brought here. England was notorious for shipping it's criminals, orphans, and other unwanted people to the colonies to be exploited for labor. That's why Australia is famously a colony of former criminals. England was very overpopulated at the time and they got rid of the undesirable people by putting them on boats and sending them to the colonies. In the colonies they were treated as slaves or indentured servants who had to work for a set number of years before they could have a chance at freedom, but freedom was not guaranteed.

There was also a period of time in many of the colonies where attempts were made to enslave the natives, but it didn't work very well because the natives were familiar with the land and they would frequently escape. People brought here from foreign lands were afraid to run away because they were afraid of dying in the wilderness, although there are stories of escaped slaves who joined Native American tribes.
And the colonies passed laws to prevent the whites brought as sliaves from being bred (or marrying) the blacks brought as slaves. By 1700, the white family lines originally brought as slaves were able to blend into the white populace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies