Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 05:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The flag is just a couple blue stripes with stars on a red background.

If you see racism in that, you can see racism in anything.
Some people do. Leonard Pitts, the columnist, is totally absorbed with racism and 99% of his columns are about racism. It's sad, really, when he is on his deathbed and thinking about his life it will be 99% about racism.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:08 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The Betsy Ross is not a symbol of slavery. The fight over historic flags just goes to show how few real racial issues we have left in this country.
How did you decide that? Slave owners carried that flag.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:08 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
If it mean's coming out their FOG of the past...Then NO they can't make a substantive response to today's social norms...They still live in pre-Cival Right's era I guess
How can that be when I was born in 1976, a full 12 years after the Republican sponsored Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed? I lived in bi-racial neighborhoods, in two west coast states, where black kids and white kids played together. I was always told that racism was dead and I never questioned that we were a post-racial society.

What happened to change that? Barack Obama was elected in 2008 and he immediately started trying to paint whites against blacks. If you want to know why there is racial polarization now, look no further than then racist rhetoric of President Barack Hussein Obama, the most racist president the USA has ever had.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:12 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Where did those 10,000 people come from last weekend in South Carolina who marched the bridge to protest the Confederate flag flying on public property? Surely you're not going to claim they all came in on the spur of the moment from the northern states.
Are you sure of those numbers? It was a few hundred from what I saw and not the bridge (was down Calhoun, ending down near Market). The bridge unity chain was last night, about 20,000 people and had nothing to do with the flag - just a show of unity and togetherness.

Just want to make sure everyone keeps the facts straight.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:12 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The Betsy Ross is not a symbol of slavery. The fight over historic flags just goes to show how few real racial issues we have left in this country.
The United States of the Betsy Ross flag era had legal slavery in all 13 states, women had no rights whatsoever and only land owning upper class white men could vote. It's more a symbol of oppression than the navy jack of the CSA. But by all means, don't real history stand in the way of your revisionist version.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:13 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
All law is ultimately upheld by force.
I'm glad that you agree. Are you going to support the establishment Democrats and GOP(all leftists) who rule by force, or are you going to advocate for true liberty which is the underlying principle which the Republic was formed?

Democracy exists to inhibit change.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:18 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Lets be clear here. The reason the Republicans want to have the flag removed, is because it hurts their "Republican brand" on a national level. Even if 90% of the people in South Carolina supported the flag, the "Republican National Party" will see it as divisive at the national level. The vast majority of the nation was not part of the old Confederacy. And the history people are taught about the Confederate flag in every state in the country other than the south, is that only racists ever fly the flag.

I'll be honest, until I actually lived in the south, I believed that Lincoln wanted nothing more than to the free the poor slaves, and that the south actually wanted to invade and conquer the North and force everyone to own slaves.

I moved to the south and someone called the Civil War, "The War of Northern Aggression". And my immediate reaction was just, "Look at this sore loser, still whining about losing the Civil War. Why would anyone defend a bunch of racist slave-owners?"

It wasn't until listening to Ron Paul talk about the Civil War, that I even began questioning the official narrative. And that wasn't until probably 2009 or 2010? After watching this video(and I watched it well after the fact).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRx-trdMGtY

Once you actually begin reading about the Civil War, you'll realize that pretty much the entire history you were taught about slavery and the Civil War was a complete lie.

As Lord Acton, the man who famously said "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely", said....

"Without presuming to decide the purely legal question, on which it seems evident to me from Madison's and Hamilton's papers that the Fathers of the Constitution were not agreed, I saw in State Rights the only availing check upon the absolutism of the sovereign will, and secession filled me with hope, not as the destruction but as the redemption of Democracy. The institutions of your Republic have not exercised on the old world the salutary and liberating influence which ought to have belonged to them, by reason of those defects and abuses of principle which the Confederate Constitution was expressly and wisely calculated to remedy. I believed that the example of that great Reform would have blessed all the races of mankind by establishing true freedom purged of the native dangers and disorders of Republics. Therefore I deemed that you were fighting the battles of our liberty, our progress, and our civilization; and I mourn for the stake which was lost at Richmond more deeply than I rejoice over that which was saved at Waterloo."

As Mencken said, "The Gettysburg speech was at once the shortest and the most famous oration in American history... But let us not forget that it is poetry, not logic; beauty, not sense. Think of the argument in it! Put it into the cold words of everyday! The doctrine is simply this: that the Union soldiers who died at Gettysburg sacrificed their lives to the cause of self-determination – "that government of the people, by the people, for the people, should not perish from the earth". It is difficult to imagine anything more untrue. The Union soldiers in the battle actually fought against self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the right of their people to govern themselves."

Slavery or not, the south was fighting for liberty. The North was fighting to conquer.

As Lysander Spooner wrote...

"The pretense that the “abolition of slavery” was either a motive or justification for the war, is a fraud of the same character with that of “maintaining the national honor.” Who, but such usurpers, robbers, and murderers as they, ever established slavery? Or what government, except one resting upon the sword, like the one we now have, was ever capable of maintaining slavery? And why did these men abolish slavery? Not from any love of liberty in general – not as an act of justice to the black man himself, but only “as a war measure,” and because they wanted his assistance, and that of his friends, in carrying on the war they had undertaken for maintaining and intensifying that political, commercial, and industrial slavery, to which they have subjected the great body of the people, both black and white. And yet these imposters now cry out that they have abolished the chattel slavery of the black man – although that was not the motive of the war – as if they thought they could thereby conceal, atone for, or justify that other slavery which they were fighting to perpetuate, and to render more rigorous and inexorable than it ever was before. There was no difference of principle – but only of degree – between the slavery they boast they have abolished, and the slavery they were fighting to preserve; for all restraints upon men’s natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree.

Still another of the frauds of these men is, that they are now establishing, and that the war was designed to establish, “a government of consent.” The only idea they have ever manifested as to what is a government of consent, is this – that it is one to which everybody must consent, or be shot. This idea was the dominant one on which the war was carried on; and it is the dominant one, now that we have got what is called “peace.” "

Lysander Spooner – No Treason No. 6: The Constitution of No Authority

I am ashamed at South Carolina for either capitulating under pressure, or by being too ignorant to not know the truth. Though I don't blame you necessarily, I blame our garbage government, who wants to keep you all ignorant to how you are getting screwed by this government, to keep you complacent and obedient. You are nothing but livestock to them, a domesticated species, a tool for their enrichment and power.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I was born and raised in the South and live here in South Carolina and the only people I've ever heard call it the War of Northern Aggression are yankees trying to act southern. No one calls it that here. We call it the Civil War just like everyone else.

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
President Barack Hussein Obama, the most racist president the USA has ever had.
A stupid statement considering Nixon, as is evidenced by the Watergate tapes, used the N word frequently.

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds | MSNBC

Following the usual modus operandi of the Republican Party, Haley has decided to make this move to bring South Carolina out of the 19th century only after it has caused her party considerable damage.

And once again, we see that conservatism is really just liberalism... a few decades too late.
Good decision. If it doesn't get done, SC will discover other states in the region will suddenly appeal more in terms of getting new business growth and corp relos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies