Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco Assemblyman Tom Ammiano believes California's budget problems can be helped by legalizing marijuana and taxing the sale of it.
Ammiano introduces legistlation to legalize Marijuana - 2/23/09 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com
He wants to legalize the sale of it, the transportation of it and then tax it $50 for every ounce. No one under 21 would be allowed to purchase it and it would still be illegal to drive under the influence of it.

Ammiano says $1 billion could be raised every year by doing this. It would also save the state money in other ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 01:50 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
You have to be delusional if you think its going to solve problems... the drug dealers will just sell it cheaper and without tax...

Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco Assemblyman Tom Ammiano believes California's budget problems can be helped by legalizing marijuana and taxing the sale of it.
Ammiano introduces legistlation to legalize Marijuana - 2/23/09 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com
He wants to legalize the sale of it, the transportation of it and then tax it $50 for every ounce. No one under 21 would be allowed to purchase it and it would still be illegal to drive under the influence of it.

Ammiano says $1 billion could be raised every year by doing this. It would also save the state money in other ways.
Interesting. Any little bit added to the state's coffers has got to help

Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
It's a tough question! Take the moral high ground, or solve some fiscal problems? Farmers grow pot to make ends meet.

Surely they can raise $1B/year another way though. I think (even if it passed) it would create more problems than it would solve.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You have to be delusional if you think its going to solve problems... the drug dealers will just sell it cheaper and without tax...
If you could stop by 7-11 for gas, smokes and some pot - I bet many people would be willing to pay more to avoid dealers. Time & convenience vs. money spent.

Only $1 Billion / year at that tax rate? I'm disappointed - I guessed it would bring in much more.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:20 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
As a person of a libertarian bent I am all for the legalization of drugs. We as a nation spend entirely too much money and effort to stop something that there is a market for. I see no distinction between the horrible effects of prohibition of alcohol or our current "war on drugs". We as a nation simply have created an inflated drug economy. Legalization would drop the cost of drugs exponentially, while allowing millions of non-violent "criminals" to become productive citizens again who are currently draining the system with the high cost of incarceration.

Every "evil" of legalization is the same as was offered when we attacked alcohol. While rational people may agree that poisoning yourself is stupid, it is not something that our government should be wasting its resources on stopping.

It is only illegality which drives the high cost of drugs which in turn leads to all of the high societal costs in crime and violence associated with it. Like in the days of prohibition, we create monsters like Al Capone every day with our idiotic laws. Notice how many drive-bys and gang wars are currently raging over whiskey. Oh, there is none.

States all across the nation rake in the dough from alcohol consumption, I see no reason why we should not simply legalize drugs and reap the sin-taxes that follow. Maybe then the drug dealers would return to the less lucrative business of stealing car radios

Now I do admit that people will abuse these drugs and ruin their health and that will cost money. But, uh, the same idiots who do this do it now even though it is illegal. That is a problem of other dumb laws in this country concerning healthcare, but that is another thread. Instead of demonizing people acting freely and creating a dangerous underground economy, why not legalize drugs and at least take the money away from the maniac drug-dealers and allow new businesses to emerge?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,994,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
If you could stop by 7-11 for gas, smokes and some pot - I bet many people would be willing to pay more to avoid dealers. Time & convenience vs. money spent.

Only $1 Billion / year at that tax rate? I'm disappointed - I guessed it would bring in much more.
I think most public figures horribly underestimate the toking population. Which is strange considering some of the people these guys hang out with.

If 1.6 million people bought 1 ounce each a month you would generate 1 billion at their rate. That is about 5% of California's population. I would imagine the real percentage of tokers is somewhere between 10-20%

Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
Evilnewbie,

Not to be an ass, but you don't see people selling whiskey in back alleys too much anymore do you? Not too many cigarette cartels shooting it out over territory in the streets either. Just an observation.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM

350 posts, read 1,117,955 times
About time. Too much money & resouces spent on marijuana laws when they should be concentrating on the ga-zillion other illegal activities taking place every second of every day. Its just like alcohol, probably better. It is medicinal... it is such a crock that the state says its legal for medicinal purposes but feds say no.... Just legalize it already. You'd be surprised at who are already partaking anyway.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Evilnewbie,

Not to be an ass, but you don't see people selling whiskey in back alleys too much anymore do you? Not too many cigarette cartels shooting it out over territory in the streets either. Just an observation.
The illegal liquor trade is more prevalent than most people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies