Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 09:30 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with you, especially the bolded. I am also a Millennial (1985)

This post is not directed at you, and I DO agree with you.

I think (just my opinion), Proclaiming Tolerance as your (the general term you) creed, and then living a fanatical intolerance to those who disagree, is odd, to say the least. But why do the self-proclaimed Tolerance types turn out to be oh-so-intolerant? And furthermore, where does it lead?

When someone claims ALL southerners who wave the confederate flags are racists, and intolerant, don’t spend time trying to disprove the claim. Rather, cheerfully agree that it is indeed intolerant of a great many things, and then point out all the things that Tolerance is intolerant of. Why are they so intolerant towards the southerns with zero racism agenda who wave confederate flags? Could it be that they, just like the rest of us, are actually intolerant of certain things? And if so, isn’t their commitment to the cause of Tolerance rather hollow—merely a fig leaf to cover imposing their beliefs on the rest of us?

If I don't know anybody who actually wave the flags, I will automatically associated that flag with racism, but since I know quite a few who wave that flag, I actually did my own research and listened to what they had to say.

I have a picture of my friends flying that flag in Iraq battle field. To them, this is NOTHING but a battle flag. It respects southern value (family, good time, and courage)

My question is, who am I to condemn them when they are telling me the truth? Symbol means different things to different people.
Would you say the same of those who fly a Nazi flag...a cause I see as almost on par in terms of evilness with the segregationists, considering that segregationist had ample time to learn from the evils of Nazi Germany (whose atrocities came to light some 10 or 20 years before the sins of the segregationist South were being fought in the public square)? Those atrocities being, namely...subjugation of a race of people the majority considers inferior. Some symbols are just associated with too much evil...I would say the same with the USSR flag due to Lenin and Stalin and the CP's complete lack of regard for humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 09:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
They probably had no idea what the ISIS flag looked like....come to think of it, I didn't even know ISIS had a flag, kudos to their graphic design department.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:38 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,944,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Some symbols are just associated with too much evil.

So, were you this outraged two weeks ago over the flag? Something tells me you never gave the flag a second thought.

Another tool sucked into the vacuum of idiocy.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Would you say the same of those who fly a Nazi flag...a cause I see as almost on par in terms of evilness with the segregationists, considering that segregationist had ample time to learn from the evils of Nazi Germany (whose atrocities came to light some 10 or 20 years before the sins of the segregationist South were being fought in the public square)? Those atrocities being, namely...subjugation of a race of people the majority considers inferior. Some symbols are just associated with too much evil...I would say the same with the USSR flag due to Lenin and Stalin and the CP's complete lack of regard for humanity.
I would say the same of those Hindus who wear swastika because swastika is a VERY important symbol to the Hindus.

I would not jump to the conclusion that ALL people who wear swastika are Neo nazis.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
So, were you this outraged two weeks ago over the flag? Something tells me you never gave the flag a second thought.

Another tool sucked into the vacuum of idiocy.
Actually no, I have hated that flag for years...but I have never lived in the South (born in northern NYS), educated in Massachusetts, so it was very far out of view. I grew up with many more Canadian flags than southern flags. My family fought for the Union Army, Ohio Regiment. My grandfather is a civil war history buff - his grandfather fought for Ohio and I have a healthy, reasonable view of the Union army but strong respect for Lincoln. I have thought that flag was a symbol of Southern stubbornness to accept enlightened, reasoned and moral thought for years. I refuse to live in Missouri (slave state)...I live in Kansas (a couple blocks away from Missouri) because it was a free state. I know John Brown was a deeply flawed man, but his cause was right. How anyone could have accepted slavery as a way of life is just unfathomable to me.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Jesus Christ, just stop. You don't know what you're talking about.
Very informative rebuttal, Ed.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,553,512 times
Quote:
This is a serious question...I am a millenial and I just can't understand how anyone could have supported it (Confederate flag)..
KC, hi.
Here's my take.. The Confederate flag, like all symbols, is subjective. You're perspective on in it's merits are different than other peoples. Why do you feel that supporters of the flag, need to explain their position to you, or anyone else. This is a free society.. when I hear you pressing/challenging people to defend their symbols, and positions.. you sound like the bigot, not them.

I believe this is a point lost in the Confederate flag debate.. it doesn't matter why people fly the flag (no matter how unpopular). It matters that we uphold a society, where differing viewpoints are free to peacefully co-exist, without censure. The anti-Confederates are conducting an un-American Inquistion here. peace.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I would say the same of those Hindus who wear swastika because swastika is a VERY important symbol to the Hindus.

I would not jump to the conclusion that ALL people who wear swastika are Neo nazis.
It is a symbol that is important to Buddhists as well..I am married to a Buddhist, and I won't associate with it.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:48 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,944,634 times
Quote:
Actually no, I have hated that flag for years...
Sure you have. You're simply another one of the lemmings lining up with your faux outrage since some idiotic, drugged-up, racist hillbilly shot some people in a church.

Quote:
I refuse to live in Missouri...I live in Kansas (a couple blocks away from Missouri) because it was a free state.
Wow! Are you for real? LOL

Quote:
How anyone could have accepted slavery as a way of life is just unfathomable to me.
This just in.....Slavery was NEVER practiced in the North.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sure you have. You're simply another one of the lemmings lining up with your faux outrage since some idiotic, drugged-up, racist hillbilly shot some people in a church.

Wow! Are you for real? LOL

This just in.....Slavery was NEVER practiced in the North.
Yes my home state was in the wrong for accepting slavery in the 1700s...but they led abolitionism and they weren't supporting segregation during that time period that my father was still a kid! The south was. Part of it is how quickly you learn right from wrong and evolve from it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies