Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:48 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,044,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It's amazing how ignorant some people are. You obviously have no idea which party was for and against any of those things. Did you fail history class, or was it just your public school education?

And it's funny how they suddenly pretend that it was just very recently that many Democrats "evolved" their public views on this. And they "evolved" due to politics. Nothing more. Its the same thing with how they claim to care soooo much for the poor or illegals. Politics. It helps them politically and thats the only reason they claim to care.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:50 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Religious people led the movement to abolish slavery, are liberals religious?

Btw, communism, arguably the biggest political, social, and economic failure in human history is a liberal ideal.
Yes, many liberals are religious.

There's a problem with using the left/right scale. Liberal and conservative are both extremely vague. I wouldn't say that Communism and Liberalism go hand in hand, any more than I'd back up someone's point that changing 'Republican' to 'Conservative' makes the OPs post true. It doesn't. Both are oversimplifications, either out of unintentional ignorance or intentional political attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Most of the liberal Christians I have met are CINOs(Christians in name only). They go to church every Sunday, but outside of church they act like they are non-religious.
What does acting like they are non-religious entail? Are they not preaching to random people in the street enough? I'm confused what you mean by this.

8,793 posts, read 8,177,274 times
As Republicans will gladly tell you (over and over and over again), they were on the right side of history back in 1865. I will definitely give them credit for that. But that bit of history has a "stopped-clock" feel to it.

4,479 posts, read 3,833,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
And what about the majority of Jews who vote Dem....the majority of Muslim's who vote Dem? Are those not religions as well? Just because backwoods folks from the South and flyover country tend to thump their bibles louder, does not make them any more "Christian" than the millions of Christians who vote democratic.
Not all Democrats are liberal. Notice I said LIBERAL Christians are CINOs. The majority of the African-American democrats are not liberal socially. Yes, there are plenty of Democratic Christians, but most of them are the culturally conservative minorities and the very few blue dog Democrats(or dixiecrats) still around.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:55 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,282,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Whether it was slavery, civil rights, voting rights, same-sex marriage, healthcare, or immigration, Republicans have always been on the wrong side of history. Sometimes I wonder why the Republican Party even exists.

where did you go to school?

Republicans were against slavery......Democrats for it!

Republicans started the Civil Rights in the 50's way before the Democrats took it and needed all the Republicans votes to pass it in 1965 since the Democrats in the South were against it. No way the 1964 Civil Rights Act passes in the House and Senate without the Republicans voting for it BY an OVERWHELMING MAJORITY.

Same sex marriage should be a state issue not a federal one for Republicans and we are glad its over so we should move on.

on immigration? Republicans are for the RULE of LAW and not for amnesty like every country in the world including Mexico who are against amnesty in their own country's laws.

Its sad that you are misinformed about the issues and history.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:59 PM

451 posts, read 466,440 times
Results of modern American public school education, Exhibit A:

Quote:
Whether it was slavery, civil rights, voting rights, same-sex marriage, healthcare, or immigration, Republicans have always been on the wrong side of history. Sometimes I wonder why the Republican Party even exists.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 PM

607 posts, read 1,031,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
where did you go to school?

Republicans were against slavery......Democrats for it!
Republicans are the ones still using the Confederate flag.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
inb4lock

Republicans were largely abolitionists. Souther Democrats were more opposed to civil rights than pretty much any party or demographic. Opposition for women's voting rights was actually not especially partisan, having, if I'm not mistaken, more support in the Republican party than in the Democratic party. However, many Republicans ignored or opposed it to focus on racial and slavery issues, while Democrats, as a whole, were largely indifferent.

Republicans do oppose sam sex marriage. Republicans oppose government subsidized healthcare, which is not the same thing as thinking some people don't deserve healthcare.

I think our immigration policy is currently trash, and I think both parties have contributed to that in different ways.
You are right. The party names have switched. If one understands the modern Republican Party and were to take it back to 1865 then one would understand that the Lincoln would NOT be a Republican today. He would be a Democrat. I think arguing over names of parties is silly. It is ideology that matters.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:04 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
The only similarity shared by the Republican Party of previous generations and the Kristian Konservative bigots of today is the name.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:05 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,101,409 times
Quote:
Republicans are the ones still using the Confederate flag.
There's a difference between Republicans using it and A republican using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
You are right. The party names have switched. If one understands the modern Republican Party and were to take it back to 1865 then one would understand that the Lincoln would NOT be a Republican today. He would be a Democrat. I think arguing over names of parties is silly. It is ideology that matters.
Maybe not though. If you literally tore Lincoln from history and put him in today's world, he'd most likely be an independent, maybe a Libertarian, but even that's pushing it. The political landscape changes all the time. There are views that the Democrats had only 15 years ago that would not be considered conservative. The world changes all the time, granted, it changes faster now than it did before, but all the more reason that trying to place figures from the 19th and 18th century into modern political parties is something of a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies