Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:20 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The Constitution was not 'tossed aside' in Obergefell v. Hodges any more than it was in Loving v. Virginia. Aside from that, the very fact that you're asking this question demonstrates that either you did not read the decision or you did no comprehend it.

Again, Obergefell is no more a precedent for striking down polygamy bans than was Loving; in fact, it is less of a precedent than that former case. A major problem with same-sex marriage bans is that the completely foreclose the possibility of a gay person ever marrying a person of the gender to which her or she is naturally attracted. Polygamy bans and anti-miscegenation laws do no such thing, for there is no sexual orientation exclusively towards multiple persons or exclusively towards persons of other races. With polygamy, certain individuals might have a Free Exercise Clause argument - which is, of course, absent in the issue of same-sex marriage - for polygamy is a religious practice in some faiths. However, that would again have to come to trial and the interests of the individuals weighed against the interests of the state, which is precisely what happened in Obergefell as well as Loving. Once more, you need to actually read the decision, so as to disabuse yourself of your sophomoric (and blatantly wrong) notions of the basis of the decision.

You know, you people can just keep making these baseless claims, but that won't change how factually bereft those claims are. Has same-sex marriage in Massachusetts, which was legalized there 11 years ago, led to polygamy? No. Has it happened in any of the other dozens of states that had legalized same-sex marriage before today? No. Has it happened in any of the 22 countries where it is legal? No. Are the same legal considerations even at work? No. Insisting over and over that X will lead to Y when X demonstrably never leads to Y only makes you look foolish.

Beyond that, I'm not the big-government control freak who wants polygamous marriages banned that you appear to be, so I have no issue with allowing them. But, wait, let me guess - you'll serve up a laundry list of doom-and-gloom that will happen if polygamous marriages are ever allowed, and it will be reminiscent of the dire warnings that are issued every last time we ponder repealing a law that discriminates against gays, which invariably never actually happen. It's a shame some people are so bound and determined to learn absolutely nothing from even recent history.

As for prostitution, it is not the sex that is regulated but the commercial transaction of sex, which makes it a mercantile concern subject to full regulation. You really didn't see this rather glaringly obvious fact? Anyway, I prefer the sensible regulation of prostitution to the undies-in-a-bunch banning of it, you've failed in your feeble attempt to scare me with the boogeyman of hookers.

Thank you for conceding that. You know, there's a reason it's called the Slippery Slope Fallacy.

Fallacy: Slippery Slope
While I can respect your opinion, do know that it is not the uniformly accepted interpretation of the Constitution or of Loving. Just see the dissents of the 4 justices in the SSM case to read the other side of the coin, as well as why Loving did not mandate this result. Now, you don't have to accept those interpretations (and, ultimately, one more justice felt the other way or else the 4 dissenters would be a majority of 5), and I suspect you don't, but they are out there and are not some "far-fetched" theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 06:56 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Who cares what consenting adults do. Why is it our business.
Missing the point here...

It will be said that is nasty, incest, remember Deliverance (just making a point about what people will say or relate it to), then the definiation of "love" will be redefinied to "not" include that type of love....

But, it's about love, right....

Old 06-28-2015, 07:46 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Prostitution should definitely be made legal now. Women should have right to sell and men should have the right to buy. Its time to be progressive and move this country forward. Legalize Prostitution and make America a better place to live.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:57 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Isn't prostitution already legal in Nevada? Brothels?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:06 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Prostitution should be legal.

Polygamy should definitely be legal. Why should my love be restricted to only one person?

Incest - as long as both people are of legal age why shouldn't they be allowed to marry? Love is love.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:23 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
So if the constitution can just be tossed aside now and same sex marriage is legal, why not polygamy and prostitution? If two consenting adults of the same sex can be married and its not hurting anyone, why can't 3, 4 or 5 consenting adults be married? Its not hurting anyone. Why can't two consenting adults exchange money for sexual intercourse? Its not hurting anyone. This my friends is what you call a slippery slope. You can start rationalizing many things now. Where do you draw the line?
Do you understand that the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution? They don't toss it aside.

Like I say to anyone who comes up with these ideas. Find an attorney and bring a lawsuit to legalize polygamy and prostitution. You need to go through the court system. It is not going to "just happen." You could move to Nevada for your prostitutes!!! Not sure why you want to marry more than one person but that is on you. I don't think you have a chance in hell but good luck.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:28 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Over under on prostitution, polygamy and incestual marriage being legal by 2025?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:32 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Do you understand that the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution? They don't toss it aside.

Like I say to anyone who comes up with these ideas. Find an attorney and bring a lawsuit to legalize polygamy and prostitution. You need to go through the court system. It is not going to "just happen." You could move to Nevada for your prostitutes!!! Not sure why you want to marry more than one person but that is on you. I don't think you have a chance in hell but good luck.

Do you understand that the SC interprets the Law against the Constitution?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:46 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Prostitution should be legal.

Polygamy should definitely be legal. Why should my love be restricted to only one person?

Incest - as long as both people are of legal age why shouldn't they be allowed to marry? Love is love.
Foghorn Leghorn was a polygamist, which gave him natural superiority over all other life forms.

Doo Da, Dooo Da!

It doesn't work for everyone, though.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:48 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Do you understand that the SC interprets the Law against the Constitution?
Yeah, I think an even better way of putting it is that they interpret the Constitutionality of a law. I think we're on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies