Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you Believe this young man should be Charged with Animal Cruelty and why or why not?
YES 6 27.27%
NO 15 68.18%
I DON'T KNOW 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

New Jersey Man Whose Truck Sank in Frozen River, Killing Dog, Charged With Animal Cruelty | NBC New York

I'm posting this in the political forum due to the nature of this charge, and hope this is ok.

I say, "NO", and there are two reasons for my answer.

The young man didn't get into his truck with the intentions of killing his dog.
He did a very dumb thing, and should pay restitution for the search that was ongoing....yes, but to be charged with Animal Cruelty, absolutely not. The young man had to be restrained by his friends, twice, b/c he tried to jump in and save his dog.

And if they charge this young man with Animal Cruelty, then how can they not charge all those cruel and heartless people out there who own puppy mills?

And if you don't know anything about puppy mills, I suggest you do some research and check out the deplorable conditions under which those dogs live....and no one does or says anything about that? And That makes me livid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Nope. Should there be charges over being stupid? Yes, most likely but not animal cruelty.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
The guy is 27 so I wouldn't call him a young man. He is old enough that he should know better than to pull such a stupid move. I also do not believe he should be charged with animal cruelty even though his boxer suffered greatly because of his sheer stupidity. He will have to live with that fact which is punishment enough.

Also, I'm not sure he would ever be able to make full restitution for the cost to the county from this stunt.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
shadowne The guy is 27 so I wouldn't call him a young man. He is old enough that he should know better than to pull such a stupid move. I also do not believe he should be charged with animal cruelty even though his boxer suffered greatly because of his sheer stupidity. He will have to live with that fact which is punishment enough.
well, to me he is young but when you get to be my age, anyone is younger, LOL But your absolutely right.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure he would ever be able to make full restitution for the cost to the county from this stunt.
yeah, yanno, I wonder if he was drunk?

Old 07-02-2015, 08:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
I vote no.

We have hounds to hunt bear.

We know there is a chance they could be killed.........we would not be charged.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM

I have to agree with most of you, I think NJ has become the state of new laws...and I'm sorry for the people that live there....and it is becoming evidenced by every new law they try to impose. Eventually they're going to end up pushing people out...and the sad part is, they'll go broke....

but to ignore the puppy mills and then to charge this man with animal cruelty to me is more then hypocritical.
How dare they?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I vote no.

We have hounds to hunt bear.

We know there is a chance they could be killed.........we would not be charged.
yeah well, if this kind of thing keeps up, they will stop that as well...I can't believe they want to do this, and yet, they leave those scum bags who run puppy mills do what they do.

I don't believe this country is even aware of what goes on in puppy mills. It is horrible.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
At only age 28 he has a long list of driving violations (license was suspended 12 times) so now they are throwing the book at him. His buddy was scared enough he got out the truck when Mayer started his doughnuts on the thin ice.

"Andrew L. Mayer, 28, of Toms River was indicted Tuesday on two counts of third-degree animal cruelty in the death of his dog, Rolo, and third-degree criminal mischief for causing a substantial interruption in public emergency services,

“Mayer’s acts on March 1, 2015, purposely, knowingly or recklessly failed to provide necessary care for and protection of his dog, Rolo, from harm by driving his pickup truck onto the frozen Toms River and as a result the vehicle cracked through the ice and his dog died,”

Toms River Man Indicted In Truck Sinking That Killed His Dog | Toms River, NJ Patch

How many points does Toms River truck driver have? - mycentraljersey.com

Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
He has a long list of driving violations (license was suspended 12 times) so now they are throwing the book at him. His buddy was scared enough he got out the truck when Mayer started his doughnuts on the thin ice.

"Andrew L. Mayer, 28, of Toms River was indicted Tuesday on two counts of third-degree animal cruelty in the death of his dog, Rolo, and third-degree criminal mischief for causing a substantial interruption in public emergency services,

“Mayer’s acts on March 1, 2015, purposely, knowingly or recklessly failed to provide necessary care for and protection of his dog, Rolo, from harm by driving his pickup truck onto the frozen Toms River and as a result the vehicle cracked through the ice and his dog died,”

Toms River Man Indicted In Truck Sinking That Killed His Dog | Toms River, NJ Patch

How many points does Toms River truck driver have? - mycentraljersey.com
well then, if they can do that do him, without batting an eye at the puppy mills...and how many dogs die long slow deaths there? They are hypocrites....how can you do that to one person and not to another?

NJ laws are incredible? honestly...

and I get what your saying, sure, then throw the book at him, but don't charge him for animal cruelty when people leave their dogs in the car in summer...and they do nothing....or nothing to the puppy mill owners...they ought to start closing them down if they want to do something constructive.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
New Jersey Man Whose Truck Sank in Frozen River, Killing Dog, Charged With Animal Cruelty | NBC New York

I'm posting this in the political forum due to the nature of this charge, and hope this is ok.

I say, "NO", and there are two reasons for my answer.

The young man didn't get into his truck with the intentions of killing his dog.
He did a very dumb thing, and should pay restitution for the search that was ongoing....yes, but to be charged with Animal Cruelty, absolutely not. The young man had to be restrained by his friends, twice, b/c he tried to jump in and save his dog.

And if they charge this young man with Animal Cruelty, then how can they not charge all those cruel and heartless people out there who own puppy mills?

And if you don't know anything about puppy mills, I suggest you do some research and check out the deplorable conditions under which those dogs live....and no one does or says anything about that? And That makes me livid!
I live in the next town over from where this happened. I think he should be charged, he put the dog's life in danger. If that was another human that died he'd be charged so it applies here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies