Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the voting age be raised and/or should their be testing for potential voters?
Yes 21 39.62%
No 32 60.38%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:39 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What do think about having potential voters having to be able to pass a basic comprehension test to be eligible to vote? It would show that the test taker may have the ability to somewhat comprehend the fundamental principles of the Constitution and is able to make an informed decision. Basic history and political questions. The test could be taken at the voting booth electronically. For the long term prosperity and health of the country I think this may be a good idea.

How do you feel about raising the voting age to a more mature age? It seems that teenagers are not truly aware of what is happening or mature enough to make intelligent and informed decisions regarding the future of the country. I know I wasn't. Not speaking for everyone but how many 18 years do you know that are?
I don't support any kind of test. I do support that all ballots be in English and no other language because if you don't understand/can't read English you will have no idea of for what you are voting.

I do support raising the voting age up to at least 21 as it was with the possible exception of those who are stationed in war zones where those soldiers should be allowed to vote since they should have matured far beyond even our 21-year-olds that have never fought in war. The reason I support this is because most of our 21-year-olds of today are about as mature as earlier generations were at about 13 or 14...maybe!

Don't know if we could raise voting age up to about 25 but we might get closer to mature thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:41 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,402,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
I don't support any kind of test. I do support that all ballots be in English and no other language because if you don't understand/can't read English you will have no idea of for what you are voting.

I do support raising the voting age up to at least 21 as it was with the possible exception of those who are stationed in war zones where those soldiers should be allowed to vote since they should have matured far beyond even our 21-year-olds that have never fought in war. The reason I support this is because most of our 21-year-olds of today are about as mature as earlier generations were at about 13 or 14...maybe!

Don't know if we could raise voting age up to about 25 but we might get closer to mature thinking.
"Old enough to die, old enough to vote." Why should that be changed, or used to discriminate against those who aren't already in the military?

Old 06-29-2015, 01:49 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Because we all know damn well that things would somehow be manipulated in certain states or areas, to exclude voters that those in power don't want voting. We've seen this song and dance before. It doesn't matter how you dress it up. It's a bad idea, and it's un-American.

If you're so genuinely concerned with having people properly learn about civics and government, then be supportive of properly funding public education.
Just how is educating our young people going to be manipulated? That's a bad idea and un-American?

Old 06-29-2015, 01:53 PM

15,947 posts, read 12,304,546 times
It doesn't really matter which party wins the presidential races at this point... they are both bought out by the banking elite... so I don't really care who votes... you sheep can keep thinking your vote matters at the federal level.

At the state level it matters a bit more, but in the end everyone in South Dakota is pretty level headed and there isn't the major "bus in the minority" vote effort that gets done in big cities like Milwaukee or Chicago where they bus in the blacks and promise them handouts for their democrat vote.

Perhaps there should be more regulations in place to vote... but raise the voting age? No... if someone can be tried as an adult for a crime they should have all the rights of an adult...

Old 06-29-2015, 01:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times
Quote:
What do think about having potential voters having to be able to pass a basic comprehension test to be eligible to vote? It would show that the test taker may have the ability to somewhat comprehend the fundamental principles of the Constitution and is able to make an informed decision. Basic history and political questions. The test could be taken at the voting booth electronically. For the long term prosperity and health of the country I think this may be a good idea.

How do you feel about raising the voting age to a more mature age? It seems that teenagers are not truly aware of what is happening or mature enough to make intelligent and informed decisions regarding the future of the country. I know I wasn't. Not speaking for everyone but how many 18 years do you know that are?
If that's gonna happen; then the age for signing up in the military needs to UP too.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:15 PM

818 posts, read 1,018,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
No and no. If you are a US citizen 18 and over, and have no felonies you have the right to vote. By this logic we should only allow property owners to vote. I'd be more inclined to agree with aus10's idea of passing a civic's test. Too many kids don't know our history or know there way around a map.
The 26th amendment lowered the voting age to 18 because of the draft and Vietnam protesting in 1971. How the Vietnam war got started is another topic. 'Old enough to fight, old enough to vote' was the saying. It was FDR in the WW2 days that lowered the draft age to 18.

It is doubtful there will ever be a need for another draft and if there is how will it possibly be enforced?

The original constitution lets the states decide, the way it should be.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:22 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:

If you are a liberal, in a nation with more than 300,000,000 people, Bush was the best option?

If you are a conservative, in a nation with more than 300,000,000 people, Obama was the best option?

Obviously one man, one vote doesn`t work anymore, but I wouldn`t limit solutions to just qualifying voters.

The two major parties suck balls!

Each election cycle they pick candidates that first and foremost serve the party`s interests.

The voters need to have the ability to disqualify a party nominee before the election so we don't end up with two really bad options again.

Do we really want to choose between Clinton and Bush in 2016?

Maybe the worst candidates could be eliminated by popular vote before the primaries begin.

For example, party A has five candidates for president and one of the three is a known corporate ***** with ties to Goldman-Sachs and another has never done anything outside of government.

Both of these bad choices could be removed before they have a chance to knock better candidates out of the race.

Once qualified voters are certified to vote in that year`s election, a special pre-primary thinning of the heard could take place in which all but a set number of candidates will be shown the road.

In this way, we don`t end up with the current office holder running against the guy on the other side with the most money.

Imagine how much more interesting this election would be if Jeb, Rubio, Gram and Clinton were told no thank you in advance.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:35 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times
Quote:
The 26th amendment lowered the voting age to 18 because of the draft and Vietnam protesting in 1971. How the Vietnam war got started is another topic. 'Old enough to fight, old enough to vote' was the saying. It was FDR in the WW2 days that lowered the draft age to 18.

It is doubtful there will ever be a need for another draft and if there is how will it possibly be enforced?

The original constitution lets the states decide, the way it should be.
I don't agree when talking about voting and the draft. The age cutoff needs to be same in all 50 states.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:52 PM

818 posts, read 1,018,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
No one with a real understanding of US history would be asking for either of those changes.
So ignorant voting is no problem for you? A vote is a vote in your book of knowledge?

Old 06-29-2015, 02:55 PM

698 posts, read 588,715 times
Quote:

I would support taking away the right to vote past a certain age. If you are old enough to collect Social Security and/or Medicare, you should not be allowed to vote. At that age, you are a cultural relic holding back progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies