Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the voting age be raised and/or should their be testing for potential voters?
Yes 21 39.62%
No 32 60.38%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:06 PM

818 posts, read 1,016,745 times

Advertisements

What do think about having potential voters having to be able to pass a basic comprehension test to be eligible to vote? It would show that the test taker may have the ability to somewhat comprehend the fundamental principles of the Constitution and is able to make an informed decision. Basic history and political questions. The test could be taken at the voting booth electronically. For the long term prosperity and health of the country I think this may be a good idea.

How do you feel about raising the voting age to a more mature age? It seems that teenagers are not truly aware of what is happening or mature enough to make intelligent and informed decisions regarding the future of the country. I know I wasn't. Not speaking for everyone but how many 18 years do you know that are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:15 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
While I know where your going with this..... Raising the age.... I can see possibly. An IQ test....nope you can't do that. Every citizen has a right to vote... no matter how stupid. To me a better way is to make sure that in order to at least pass high school you need to pass U.S. History, Civic's, and at least some kind of Consumer Education class. Kids need to know how taxes, budgets, and general financial matters work before being given the opportunity to vote on them. Ask them about Social Security or insurance now...... they only know what they read on the net.... and we all know how accurate that is!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:20 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
No and no. If you are a US citizen 18 and over, and have no felonies you have the right to vote. By this logic we should only allow property owners to vote. I'd be more inclined to agree with aus10's idea of passing a civic's test. Too many kids don't know our history or know there way around a map.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 PM

674 posts, read 610,942 times
The voting age is fine. If we can potentially send kids off to war at age 18, they need the right to vote against going to war.

Requiring a civics test is just Jim Crow garbage. That's not allowed anymore, for good reasons!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
No and no. If you are a US citizen 18 and over, and have no felonies you have the right to vote. By this logic we should only allow property owners to vote. I'd be more inclined to agree with aus10's idea of passing a civic's test. Too many kids don't know our history or know there way around a map.
I worked in the financial industry for years... Rarely did I come across a young adult (18-23) who could balance a checkbook, knew what FICA even stood for, understood about filing your taxes, or even how to read the fine print when it came to opening up an acct. They would sign their name on the line, agreeing to terms, but then cry and whine when they broke those terms. And to this day... I still sometimes wonder how some folks actually function on a day to day basis. And then they wonder why they are in debt up to their eyeballs........

Old 06-29-2015, 01:26 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Yes, I think the voting age should be raised for all except those who can present a military ID.

If it were up to me, you would have to have a license to vote. There would be a test.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What do think about having potential voters having to be able to pass a basic comprehension test to be eligible to vote? It would show that the test taker may have the ability to somewhat comprehend the fundamental principles of the Constitution and is able to make an informed decision. Basic history and political questions. The test could be taken at the voting booth electronically. For the long term prosperity and health of the country I think this may be a good idea.

How do you feel about raising the voting age to a more mature age? It seems that teenagers are not truly aware of what is happening or mature enough to make intelligent and informed decisions regarding the future of the country. I know I wasn't. Not speaking for everyone but how many 18 years do you know that are?
There should be a test similar to the citizenship test.

Quiz: US Citizenship Test - Could You Pass? - Washington Times

Old 06-29-2015, 01:31 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
No one with a real understanding of US history would be asking for either of those changes.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
The voting age is fine. If we can potentially send kids off to war at age 18, they need the right to vote against going to war.

Requiring a civics test is just Jim Crow garbage. That's not allowed anymore, for good reasons!
So knowing how the government is SUPPOSED to work and educating yourself is bad..... okay gotcha. (And thank you by the way for proving my point......) Guess you automatically were born with all the knowledge you need......

Old 06-29-2015, 01:38 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
So knowing how the government is SUPPOSED to work and educating yourself is bad..... okay gotcha. (And thank you by the way for proving my point......) Guess you automatically were born with all the knowledge you need......
Because we all know damn well that things would somehow be manipulated in certain states or areas, to exclude voters that those in power don't want voting. We've seen this song and dance before. It doesn't matter how you dress it up. It's a bad idea, and it's un-American.

If you're so genuinely concerned with having people properly learn about civics and government, then be supportive of properly funding public education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies