Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 04:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,889,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Exactly how is "every single Christian/religious/conscientious objector" being "involved with same-sex marriage"?????
I mean by not letting a single one to opt out who is in a position or scenario to be involved with same-sex marriage , county clerks, wedding services providers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 04:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,777,219 times
For those interested - very few counties are refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples - most of them are in Texas -

Local government responses to Obergefell v. Hodges - Ballotpedia

Over 98% of the US population lives in counties that issue marriage licenses to gay couples.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:12 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,446,439 times
First "family values Christian" Rick Perry and now Ken "gay marriage is bad but fraud isnt" Paxton:

Quote:
First-degree felony charges to be sought against Texas AG Paxton

For Texas’ top lawman, what started out as a simple admission of a civil violation could now turn into a major crime.

A special prosecutor said Wednesday that he’ll ask a Collin County grand jury to indict Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on first-degree felony charges of violating state securities law.

First-degree felony charges to be sought against Texas AG Paxton | Dallas Morning News

Old 07-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
For those interested - very few counties are refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples - most of them are in Texas -

Local government responses to Obergefell v. Hodges - Ballotpedia

Over 98% of the US population lives in counties that issue marriage licenses to gay couples.
Which is my point, why the need to force every single one when plenty enough are wiling?

Old 07-02-2015, 04:18 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,051,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Which is my point, why the need to force every single one when plenty enough are wiling?
For the same reason a fast food worker can't refuse to do the dishes.

It's their job.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I mean by not letting a single one to opt out who is in a position or scenario to be involved with same-sex marriage , county clerks, wedding services providers, etc.
Wedding service providers are businesses, and true, some of them will have to change their ways, either by opening up to same-sex couples or by converting to a church. A church can refuse to perform wedding ceremonies for any couple they don't approve of, and that includes gay couples. They're not required to provide a reason, either.

What will happen to those county clerks who refuse to issue licenses to same-sex couples is yet unknown. I don't see how a person whose government job is to issue licenses to legally qualified couples can get out of it. Unless, as some have suggested, that in a multi-person office, as long as someone else can cover the function, a person can sit it out. Frankly, I doubt very few county clerks will ultimately take a stand on it. And no one will much care, either.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
We'll have to see how it shakes out.

For the record, as I've already said, I don't have a strong opinion either way - I can make the case for both sides of this question. It will probably come down to a specific state's laws regarding who is to issue wedding licenses. As long as a same-sex couple is able to get a marriage license from a county other than their residence county, I suspect that is how the issue will be resolved.

Last edited by jacqueg; 07-02-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
For the same reason a fast food worker can't refuse to do the dishes.

It's their job.
No one was hired to issue same-sex marriage license, it just came into existence by the supreme court. No one has a long standing credible religious/conscientious objection to washing dishes. I don't want the supreme court writing people's job descriptions.

I'm so tired of the strawman, apples and oranges comparisons and false analogies.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
We'll have to see how it shakes out.

For the record, as I've already said, I don't have a strong opinion either way - I can make the case for both sides of this question.
Ok fair enough. But we know how it will shake out when this country is being ran by progressives.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,051,460 times
Quote:
No one was hired to issue same-sex marriage license

Yes.

They were.

As of last Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies