Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly where is the 22 million gift to the cement industry coming from?

Secondly if they are switching to higher cost fuels it still hasn't solved the problem now has it?

What I'm saying is the situation in BC does not apply to most of the rest of the world becsue about 95% of the power is not subject to the tax.

This is like saying we solved the obesity problem by taxing soda when you couldn't buy a soda to begin with.
So what if 95% of our power is from hydro? If it weren't then it would be taxed as well and we would see even more people upgrading their homes, and installing alternate means of heating them.....Just because a thing is hard doesn't mean I should throw up my hands and quit.....

When did you see me say that a BC style of tax should or could be applied to the rest of the world?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So what if 95% of our power is from hydro?
LOL.... because its not subject to the carbon tax you are touting. What part of that do you not understand?

Quote:
we would see even more people upgrading their homes, and installing alternate means of heating them
Alternate ways of heating that are much more expensive to run. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Where is the 22 million gift to the cement industry coming from, who is paying for that?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL.... because its not subject to the carbon tax you are touting. What part of that do you not understand?
Why do you keep missing part of my posts? Try posting the entire thing....

Quote:
So what if 95% of our power is from hydro? If it weren't then it would be taxed as well and we would see even more people upgrading their homes, and installing alternate means of heating them.....Just because a thing is hard doesn't mean I should throw up my hands and quit.....

Quote:
Alternate ways of heating that are much more expensive to run. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Nonsense....Neither wind nor solar is expensive to run, and some methods are cheap to install...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6QOZGgbj-g

Quote:
Where is the 22 million gift to the cement industry coming from, who is paying for that?
Most likely the 22 million will come from the carbon tax revenue. 22 million is just over 2% of the 1 billion per year carbon tax revenue and is spread over a three year period...So less than 1% per year http://daily.sightline.org/files/201...d-Tax-Cuts.jpg

Last edited by sanspeur; 07-01-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
See, here's the funny part about the far right. They honestly believe that they can just ignore the problem.
not ignoring the issue, but rather looking for common sense changes rather than a one size fits all government problem.

Quote:
The reality is that the climate is changing. Heck, it would be changing without human's hurrying it along. And climate change is notorious for causing empires to fall, civilizations to collapse, and so forth.
the climate is changing? really? you wouldnt kid me would you?

Quote:
So, perhaps instead of seeing this as an "evil liberal plot." or trying to pretend that there is no problem, a better question is this:

Will someone explain to me how ignoring climate change to save a few bucks now won't result in certain disaster tomorrow?

There is no answer, of course, but I also know enough to realize that many people cannot be swayed by facts.
things ARE changing, but it is being done on the individual level, and at the private industry level. contrary to popular progressive opinion, government is not the answer, government is the problem.

Quote:
I thought you owned a Cessna T310, but both avgas and kerosene produce CO2.....I'm beginning to think your aircraft is a figment of your imagination.
perhaps he upgraded the engine to turboprops?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Nonsense....Neither wind nor solar is expensive to run, and some methods are cheap to install...
Let me rephrase that and say lifetime expense. If these were not expensive alternatives there would be no need for a carbon tax.

Quote:
Most likely the 22 million will come from the carbon tax revenue.
The taxpayer.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:57 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times
I'm confused. So B.C. enacted a tax that doesn't actually cover much of anything but in the small instances it does they are going to subsidize those that are hurt with taxpayer money and this is the solution?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm confused. So B.C. enacted a tax that doesn't actually cover much of anything but in the small instances it does they are going to subsidize those that are hurt with taxpayer money and this is the solution?
I posted links.....Why not read them?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:46 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
I posted links.....Why not read them?
I did. This is what I gathered from them but I wanted to clarify.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:03 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Then in your world that would be a good thing...The people with money are footing the bill, and even their wallets are not much lighter...
No thanks. I pay enough in taxes, and subsidize enough deadbeats

Quote:
Nobody say the world has to stop using fossil fuels....As I said I believe it may be too late.
But you just want to make energy more expensive for certain nations right?

Quote:
No problem if the tax is revenue neutral. The world's largest greenhouse gas emitter aims to cut carbon dioxide emissions per unit of gross domestic product (GDP) by 60 percent to 65 percent from the 2005 level by 2030, according to China's intended nationally determined contributions (INDC), an action plan submitted to the Secretariat of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. China Climate Change Info-Net

They are making great progress, as in 2014, carbon emissions per unit of GDP was 33.8 percent lower than the 2005 level, so they are already half way to their target.

This is great progress?

https://twitter.com/RogerPielkeJr/media

Coal power installation was 17 times the amount of solar last year? That's progress?

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...l-trends/?_r=2

The Chinese (and others) can make pledges all day long, that doesn't mean they will be fulfilled

Quote:
You are probably right......Too many head in sand deniers in the US.
Just as long as you are clear on that

Btw, how many Canadian heads are in the tar sands

Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I did. This is what I gathered from them but I wanted to clarify.
Then you have a reading problem...You said "B.C. enacted a tax that doesn't actually cover much of anything"

Quote:
The tax applies to almost all fossil fuels burned inside the province. Certain agricultural sectors are exempt.
All You Need to Know About BC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies