Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:42 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,822,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You have no idea what those verses mean. Yet you (and others) quote them as though you do. You don't know Jesus, and you certainly do not know what He taught.
So how exactly does that quote not apply to this conversation?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:44 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
You have no idea what those verses mean. Yet you (and others) quote them as though you do. You don't know Jesus, and you certainly do not know what He taught.
You have no idea what I know. FYI I was educated in christian schools, raised in the church, and have several different translations of many different religious texts that I studied to arrive at my decision on all religious beliefs.

If you guys can toss out verses so can I. And at least I quote Jesus himself rather than Moses or Paul.

I also like Gandhi " I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Old 07-02-2015, 10:45 AM

264 posts, read 230,058 times
[quote=nononsenseguy;40253930]This isn't bigotry! It's common sense. Marriage is the union of a man and a woman, and it has been so for all of human history.

Marriage has been going on for thousands of years before that group of drunk men sat down and wrote the woman hating Bible. Marriage was originally a business contract between families and nothing more. Christians and other religions co-opted it and bam...religious marriage. With that said, I married my husband with a JP, not a Catholic priest to my dad's dismay and I am just as married to my husband than I'd be if we did do it in the church.

Do some research on the Greeks and the Romans...along with about 1500 animal species that practiced homosexuality for the last...oh, start of time.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
What I think a lot of people object to is the feeling that this is shoved down our throats without the consent of the public in some areas.
Like say, religion?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:51 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You shouldn't feel alone or bad because you are a bigot:

Not Alone
Bigot: n.
One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Sounds like you.

As always, no offense.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:54 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Oh, man. I was laughing by the end when they were getting all emotional.

I mean, really? They care that much?

Don't get me wrong, I get it. It sucks being called a bigot. But there's an easy fix: live and let live. If you want to hold your belief, great. Do so. But understand the difference between religious marriage and civil marriage. Your church can define marriage however they want. You can define marriage however you want. But mind your own business and accept that fact that a growing number of people are accepting of gay marriage and that what the law says is not, nor should it be, concerned with what a dusty old book says.
Yes, ignore the dusty old book and worship the golden calf of progressivism. That's worked so well in the past.

I'll be sticking with the dusty old book.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Judging by your many responses on this board, you wouldn't know Jesus if he came up to you in an empty room dressed just like they pretend he looks like in pictures (white hippie). Sad really.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Any religion that preaches hatred is a religion that is not worth following.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:33 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Bigot: n.
One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Sounds like you.

As always, no offense.
No surprise that to you that sounds like me. Of course, people who were against slavery, against segregation, against denying women the right to vote were also bigots according to you and too many others. Oh well. Willful ignorance on your part.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:41 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
No surprise that to you that sounds like me. Of course, people who were against slavery, against segregation, against denying women the right to vote were also bigots according to you and too many others. Oh well. Willful ignorance on your part.
You don't sound very innocent either, just to be completely honest.

These people in the video expressed an "opinion", it doesn't matter how many times they say they don't hate gays, they have gay friends and they love them, you just won't give them a chance.

By the way, "I have gay friends and I love them, but my definition of marriage is one man one woman." it is an opinion.

"I have black friends, but they are still... blah blah" might be bigotry or racism because there is no way, one can interview all back people and know exactly how they all behave or think. The being said, there is still differences between prejudice and pure hate racism.

Learn the differences.

I don't have many gay friends, I know couple of gays, but I still believe they should get married, ONLY because it is none of my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies