Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The issue isn`t and never has been about same-sex marriage.
OK. But then what do we do with:

Quote:
Marriage laws that exist don`t apply well to same-sex coupes and a serious effort to craft new laws that would address the needs of all unions could have been undertaken were same-sex marriage anything but a ruse by which to harness the power of the state to redefine a word as a means to reassign thought.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you assume that because someone is against gay marriage they must be a bigot, so oyu are prejudging people before getting all the facts. then ok, the bible says judge not lest ye be judged, thus if you want to judge me, for instance, to be a bigot, then you must understand that you too are a bigot yourself. you have no clue about how i feel about gay people, minorities, etc. yet you step up and judge out of hand.

and that is fine, you go ahead and jump to conclusions without facts, perhaps you can hope that others wont treat you the same way.
"If you don't embrace my intolerance, you're intolerant yourself, so nyah!" is not exactly a new argument.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If you're intolerant of other types of people, such as gays, to the point of putting in a lot of effort to deny them basic rights, then you're a bigot. Sorry, that's just the definition.
you still dont get it do you? again you show that you have absolutely NO CLUE about what i think about gays, or minorities, in general. you assume that because i oppose gay marriage that i must be a bigot, because you have not read any of my posts on the matter, you just see the words "oppose" and "gay" forget the rest and jump ot the conclusion that i am a bigot. as i said, judge not lest ye be judged, since you are judging me to be a bigot, you must also be a bigot.

now if you wish you can go back and actually READ my posts on the subject, and use some of your limited reading comprehension skills, and perhaps actually find out what my opinions are on people. if you decide to not be lazy and actually read my posts, then get back to me and we can talk. until then

Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you still dont get it do you? again you show that you have absolutely NO CLUE about what i think about gays, or minorities, in general. you assume that because i oppose gay marriage that i must be a bigot, because you have not read any of my posts on the matter, you just see the words "oppose" and "gay" forget the rest and jump ot the conclusion that i am a bigot. as i said, judge not lest ye be judged, since you are judging me to be a bigot, you must also be a bigot.

now if you wish you can go back and actually READ my posts on the subject, and use some of your limited reading comprehension skills, and perhaps actually find out what my opinions are on people. if you decide to not be lazy and actually read my posts, then get back to me and we can talk. until then
It's a slow evening. Went back and looked, looks like you have garden variety opposition to gay people having relationship rights in a legal, secular context. Also looks like you once said that you have a right to discrimination as a matter of "free speech," which has been legally untrue in the USA for a long time now. What else do you want me to take into consideration?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
I'm Catholic, conservative and don't care that gays can marry. It doesn't affect my life. However if a church doesn't support it they shouldn't be forced to do a gay or any other marriage.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:58 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm Catholic, conservative and don't care that gays can marry. It doesn't affect my life. However if a church doesn't support it they shouldn't be forced to do a gay or any other marriage.
I would agree with this.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:42 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:

The issue is who makes the laws.

Of course a statist dreams of a dictatorship where the people are excluded from the process.

As for being called a bigot, if the best argument you can make to support your position is that I`m a big poopie-head, the jokes on you.

I have all sorts of reasoned arguments against the normalization of homosexuality, the redefining of marriage and pc thought police tactics in general.

Arguments in favor of normalizing homosexuality are generally self-contradictory, born of ignorance and based on erroneous assumptions.

Marriage laws were written exclusively for traditional couples at a time when same-sex marriage was beyond consideration.

Marriage laws that exist don`t apply well to same-sex coupes and a serious effort to craft new laws that would address the needs of all unions could have been undertaken were same-sex marriage anything but a ruse by which to harness the power of the state to redefine a word as a means to reassign thought.

This is a futile exercise since the human animal is hard-wired to seek truth and normalcy, and no act of government will change that.

Homosexuality will always be abnormal and at odds with the biological realities of normal sex.

A license from the state that says otherwise changes nothing.
What laws regarding marriage don't fit well for gay couples?

The argument in favor of normalizing homosexuality isn't universal. My take is 'mind your own damn business.' Some say love is love. There are a lot of different ones.

What truth are you referring to? It's true that only opposite sex couples can procreate. Outside of that truth, what are you dealing with? That homosexuality is immoral? What's true about it? What evidence exists? We do seek truth, but there's more to humans than that. It's why some believe the Earth is 6,000 years old. The truth the seek must also affirm them, blurring what constitutes as truth in their eyes.

Also, it's not at odds with anything. Abnormal, sure, but so if being 6'5". Abnormality is simply statistically less likely; any negative connotation that it had with it is personal. I see nothing wrong with being abnormal.

Also, cool it with this government take over crap. The power to redefine a word? Yeah, we're basically living in Nazi Germany...

Old 07-02-2015, 08:05 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:

The issue is who makes the laws.

Of course a statist dreams of a dictatorship where the people are excluded from the process.
It isn't about same-sex marriage?

Quote:
As for being called a bigot, if the best argument you can make to support your position is that I`m a big poopie-head, the jokes on you.

I have all sorts of reasoned arguments against the normalization of homosexuality, the redefining of marriage and pc thought police tactics in general.

Arguments in favor of normalizing homosexuality are generally self-contradictory, born of ignorance and based on erroneous assumptions.

Marriage laws were written exclusively for traditional couples at a time when same-sex marriage was beyond consideration.

This is a futile exercise since the human animal is hard-wired to seek truth and normalcy, and no act of government will change that.

Homosexuality will always be abnormal and at odds with the biological realities of normal sex.

A license from the state that says otherwise changes nothing.
So it is about gay marriage.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:08 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,166,444 times
Just because one is against Homosexuality - doesn't make them a bigot or racist...

I'm tired of people bashing those of Faith, who believe that Marriage - is with a man and woman. Isn't it their right to believe so?

Hate the Sin - Not the Sinner...

Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Default Just what we need - another bash Christians thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You shouldn't feel alone or bad because you are a bigot:

Not Alone
This isn't bigotry! It's common sense. Marriage is the union of a man and a woman, and it has been so for all of human history.

Bigotry has to do with intolerance or hatred of a racial or ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies