Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:36 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Strawman. I'm talking about things corporations and news media did like banned and black listed Trump for being pro-America and pro-American, and the banning of a historical and proud flag.
They took sides. They enforced PC.
Again, it's the same thing. Corporations reserve the right to strategically manage associations with partners based on many factors, including what those partners say and do. If a partner says and does things that conflict with the company's brand, they reserve the right to exit the relationship. What do you think, it's not in the contract? They have an army of lawyers to put in all these clauses at the outset. Why? Because corporations exist to make as much money as legally possible, and when they alienate their customers by being a platform for racist hate speech, that's bad for business. They don't need the drama.

Quote:
I'm siding against them now.
HAHA... I'm sure they're really worried; you'll make a big difference to them. (not)

Quote:
They should've stayed neutral like Switzerland.
Understand that when you're in a business arrangement with someone who turns out to be a very public racist, continuing to do business with them is NOT "staying neutral like Switzerland." If you keep them on board, you are CONDONING their opinions to your customers. Kicking them to the curb is staying neutral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 05:46 PM

62,960 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Again, it's the same thing. Corporations reserve the right to strategically manage associations with partners based on many factors, including what those partners say and do. If a partner says and does things that conflict with the company's brand, they reserve the right to exit the relationship. What do you think, it's not in the contract? They have an army of lawyers to put in all these clauses at the outset. Why? Because corporations exist to make as much money as legally possible, and when they alienate their customers by being a platform for racist hate speech, that's bad for business. They don't need the drama.

HAHA... I'm sure they're really worried; you'll make a big difference to them. (not)

Understand that when you're in a business arrangement with someone who turns out to be a very public racist, continuing to do business with them is NOT "staying neutral like Switzerland." If you keep them on board, you are CONDONING their opinions to your customers. Kicking them to the curb is staying neutral.
Define racist hate speech opposed to telling the truth. I'll wait.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:47 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Well there's no point in me to continue to respond to strawman and circular arguments. Some of these corporations are unnecessarily taking sides and pushing PC. I'm not the only one that notices and will take business else where.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:49 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Define racist hate speech opposed to telling the truth. I'll wait.
Hate speech is speech that broadly and indiscriminately attacks a class of people instead of measuring arguments relative to the spectrum of diversity within that class of people... such as calling all Mexicans rapists. Or all Muslims terrorists. Or all black people unemployed gang members. Or all women mentally inferior to men (has been done in the past). Or all gays deviant. And yes, it can be aimed against conservatives, too. I know that was going to be your next question.

If you were to think that virulent blanket statements of this sort are "the truth," then there isn't much more to discuss.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:52 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
[quote=ambient;40261227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Yes, it is a form of discrimination that is perfectly legal in the private sector. You can call it discrimination against people who violate company policies. In other words, if you work at a corporation as an engineer and you decide to preach skinhead philosophy through a megaphone in the cafeteria at lunch, they do have a right to fire you. This was all in the paperwork you would have signed as a condition of your employment when you first started.

In summary, discrimination on the basis of race, creed, gender is prohibited. Discrimination on the basis of people who violate company harrassment policies they agreed to abide by as a condition of employment is not.

Where on earth did you get the impression that you're allowed to do whatever you want at a private employer?

Ok.......

So, if a Christian business owner who sees an employee posting pro gay rights statements on social media, he is within his rights to fire them because he finds such viewpoints personally offensive and does not wish to project that image to his customers?

Or does it only apply when the speech is politically incorrect according to the left?

Old 07-02-2015, 05:53 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
So private actors are allowed to punish me cruelly and unusually? Private actors are allowed to confiscate my guns? Interesting.
I would think laws in compliance with the BOR would be your protection from private actors.

For example : Ben Affleck walked into your house and set down to dinner every night. There might be a law that would help you out of that situation. Even if the teenage daughters complained you might be able to stop him.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I would think laws in compliance with the BOR would be your protection from private actors.

For example : Ben Affleck walked into your house and set down to dinner every night. There might be a law that would help you out of that situation. Even if the teenage daughters complained you might be able to stop him.
So I guess then we need laws in compliance with the 1st to protect against private actors?

For example: If gay rights activist Felix saw me post something supporting Christian-owned caters should not have to serve same-sex weddings and tracked down my employer. My employer couldn't fire me for exercising my 1st amendment.

Maybe should create a better example but didn't want to think on it too much.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:06 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Well there's no point in me to continue to respond to strawman and circular arguments. Some of these corporations are unnecessarily taking sides and pushing PC. I'm not the only one that notices and will take business else where.
I'm sure losing your business will be indicated in their quarterly financial reports.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:08 PM

62,960 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Hate speech is speech that broadly and indiscriminately attacks a class of people instead of measuring arguments relative to the spectrum of diversity within that class of people... such as calling all Mexicans rapists. Or all Muslims terrorists. Or all black people unemployed gang members. Or all women mentally inferior to men (has been done in the past). Or all gays deviant. And yes, it can be aimed against conservatives, too. I know that was going to be your next question.

If you were to think that virulent blanket statements of this sort are "the truth," then there isn't much more to discuss.
That isn't what Trump said though. He was referring to illegal aliens and he wasn't calling them all rapists.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'm sure losing your business will be indicated in their quarterly financial reports.
What if they lose 10%, 50%? It could happen if people make the decision since the majority or at least a plurality are not in support of these banning and censoring. They took sides and possible against a majority.

Basically your attitude is "the corporations own you, you insignificant piece of dust haha". Well they can't collectively own us all if we band together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies