Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 12:49 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Homophobia is not a disability.
Could you provide a hint as to when having an opinion became a "phobia"?

Here is the definition from Merriam-Webster online: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation.

I cross referenced that with my Merriam-Webster Third New International Unabridged Dictionary sitting here on its stand, and it had essentially a longer-winded version of the same definition.

So please tell us when opinion (or belief) became synonymous with phobia. I'm very curious because I study words (their usage and meaning in a comparative modern and historical context) and language quite a lot.

So if I go into a store and I do not buy any beer because I either do not like it or I subscribe to a religious belief that condemns its consumption, is that also considered a phobia in your opinion?

It is not in my opinion. In my opinion, a phobia against beer would be me going into a store, seeing a shelf full of beer, breaking out into a cold sweat, being unable to function, falling to the floor, and having a seizure. That's a phobia. I've seen it. I've known a couple people with claustrophobia. They basically freeze up and are unable to think or function in a rational manner. And I recall seeing it in a rock climbing class in which I was the assistant instructor and we had a person "freak out" who was afraid of heights (a rock climbing class is not a good way to try to overcome a phobia of heights).

In my opinion, someone who holds a negative opinion or belief with respect to homosexuality does not have a phobia unless that person has a similar reaction to the claustrophobic referred to above. Also if the person who holds a negative opinion of homosexuality becomes violent or slanderous toward homosexuals, I would agree to call that a phobia as well, although even that is stretching it. One might just call that hatred... something nearly every one of you activists harbor too much of, while preaching against it.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:53 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Forgot to add: Good on the clerk for having the courage of his/her convictions.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:00 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Seems a lot of people don't understand the concept of reasonable accommodations. It doesn't mean you're free to not do your job if you don't want to and your employer just has to pay you anyway.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:04 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Homophobia is not a disability.
Homophobia is defined as an UNREASONABLE fear of homosexuals.
A religious belief to the contrary is not unreasonable fear.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A religious belief, when it intrudes into welfare of others, is unreasonable. A reasonable belief is one that is your own, personal life and choice. You become unreasonable when you try to control others for your selfish reasons.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A religious belief, when it intrudes into welfare of others, is unreasonable. A reasonable belief is one that is your own, personal life and choice. You become unreasonable when you try to control others for your selfish reasons.
Here we have another instance of the implied synonym pair of which I was not aware.

unreasonable fear = belief

You're post is basically a straw man argument. Jetgraphics stated that homophobia is defined as an unreasonable fear of homosexuals. Your response was about a religious belief intruding on the welfare of others. See the disconnect there? You are taking a statement about unreasonable fear and changing it to a statement about beliefs interfering with welfare.

Again, my original question was when a phobia became synonymous with an opinion. Jetgraphics maintains that it is not, as do I. I see no counterargument here yet at all, let alone one that supports a synonymous relationship between the two.

My point, in case everyone else is missing it, is that there really is not much in the way of "homophobia" out there (although I'm sure it exists). Somewhere along the line, slick liberals and activists decided that a cute little rhetorical tool would be to call a person with a negative opinion of homosexuality "phobic," thus implying that said person is irrational and fearful (or that they are "crazy" and psychologically unfit somehow). Well, anyone with even half a brain sees through it. It's a term used by morons to make a point that is erroneous and nonsensical in the first place. An opinion is not a phobia; anyone who thinks it is should try thinking for a change. It takes a little more than that; so you folks are not so cute and clever as you think you are.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Here we have another instance of the implied synonym pair of which I was not aware.

unreasonable fear = belief

You're post is basically a straw man argument. Jetgraphics stated that homophobia is defined as an unreasonable fear of homosexuals. Your response was about a religious belief intruding on the welfare of others. See the disconnect there? You are taking a statement about unreasonable fear and changing it to a statement about beliefs interfering with welfare.

Again, my original question was when a phobia became synonymous with an opinion. Jetgraphics maintains that it is not, as do I. I see no counterargument here yet at all, let alone one that supports a synonymous relationship between the two.

My point, in case everyone else is missing it, is that there really is not much in the way of "homophobia" out there (although I'm sure it exists). Somewhere along the line, slick liberals and activists decided that a cute little rhetorical tool would be to call a person with a negative opinion of homosexuality "phobic," thus implying that said person is irrational and fearful (or that they are "crazy" and psychologically unfit somehow). Well, anyone with even half a brain sees through it. It's a term used by morons to make a point that is erroneous and nonsensical in the first place. An opinion is not a phobia; anyone who thinks it is should try thinking for a change. It takes a little more than that; so you folks are not so cute and clever as you think you are.
Jetgraphics attempted to isolate religious beliefs from being unreasonable. That is wrong, as is your understanding of it. They can't be assumed to be separate. People are often unreasonable DUE to their religious beliefs.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
People are often unreasonable DUE to their religious beliefs.
I don't know about "often," but yes, they are at times. Just as some dogs are brown with tan spots. But again, they are not one and the same.

Quote:
Jetgraphics attempted to isolate religious beliefs from being unreasonable. That is wrong, as is your understanding of it. They can't be assumed to be separate.
I disagree here. IMO, they MUST be assumed to be separate until they can be shown to be the same on a case-by-case basis.

It's too bad our species tends to like to pigeon-hole and generalize so much. It causes such chaos and destruction at times. And really, none of us are immune from doing it, myself included. But I do try to recognize it and correct it when I find myself doing it.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't know about "often," but yes, they are at times. Just as some dogs are brown with tan spots. But again, they are not one and the same.
The point of the post wasn't to imply that those with religious beliefs are always homophobes either.

Quote:
I disagree here. IMO, they MUST be assumed to be separate until they can be shown to be the same on a case-by-case basis.
Using religion as an excuse to demonstrate fear of homosexuality taking over anything is such a case.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Any nonpolitical correct opinion, thought, belief, truth or fact according to progressives MUST only be:

Ignorance, intolerance, bigotry, hate, racism or other '-isms', phobia, divisive, nondiverse etc.

And must be banned! censored! cleansed!

Progressives are the most intolerant, divisive and non-diverse people that exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies