Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times

Advertisements

I just got this forwarded in an email:

Quote:
The folks who are getting the free stuff don't like
The folks who are paying for the free stuff, because
The folks who are paying for the free stuff can no longer
Afford to pay for both the free stuff and their own stuff.

And the folks who are paying for the free stuff
Want the free stuff to stop.

And the folks who are getting the free stuff want even more
Free stuff on top of the free stuff they are already getting!

Now... The people who are forcing the people who pay
For the free stuff have told the people who are RECEIVING
The free stuff that the people who are PAYING for the
Free stuff are being mean, prejudiced, and racist.

So... The people who are GETTING the free stuff have been
Convinced they need to hate the people who are paying for the
Free stuff by the people who are forcing some people to pay
For their free stuff and giving them the free stuff in the first place.

So my question is this: Who do you think they are talking about? Are they talking about all the deadbeat welfare recipients on the backs of hard-working Americans? Or are they talking about all the corporations who are taking from hard-working Americans and then wanting more, more, more?

My opinion is both. My opinion is that we as a society are so polarized that both sides see this statement and see themselves as the victim. All the while, what I think is really happening is that the middle class is getting squeezed out.

IMO, both are a problem. Corporate greed and irresponsibility is out of control, as is the sense of entitlement and the incentive to do nothing.

Will anyone agree with me that there are problems on both sides of this issue, and that polarization is only making it worse. (Which points to the fact that no matter what your political leanings, the fact remains that NOBODY in Washington is looking out for the middle class.)

Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

So my question is this: Who do you think they are talking about? Are they talking about all the deadbeat welfare recipients on the backs of hard-working Americans? Or are they talking about all the corporations who are taking from hard-working Americans and then wanting more, more, more?

My opinion is both. My opinion is that we as a society are so polarized that both sides see this statement and see themselves as the victim. All the while, what I think is really happening is that the middle class is getting squeezed out.

IMO, both are a problem. Corporate greed and irresponsibility is out of control, as is the sense of entitlement and the incentive to do nothing.

Will anyone agree with me that there are problems on both sides of this issue, and that polarization is only making it worse. (Which points to the fact that no matter what your political leanings, the fact remains that NOBODY in Washington is looking out for the middle class.)

Discuss
The TEA Party wants to reel in "free stuff" given to both people and corporations.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Discuss
Yes I agree

It's all about power and the people getting the free stuff are keeping the corporations who are also getting free stuff in power.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:20 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The TEA Party wants to reel in "free stuff" given to both people and corporations.
The tea party wants people to work for their stuff and that is why the people who are getting the free stuff hate the tea party.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
The TEA party is yet another group of politicians, that by the time they get to Washington are so currupt that they don't have our best interest in mind. The concept may be good (matter of opinion), but once it gets beyond the grass roots, it falls apart for the same reasons.

I don't think anyone can say that their obstructionist strategy (which has adversely effected BOTH parties) is good. Holding everyone hostage until "we get or way" is not only imature, it's bad for our country. IMO, these guys are the poster-children of what wrong with both mainstream parties in our country. They portray themselves as something good, but their actions do not support their claims.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:37 AM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa
(link to original)During 1982, I worked as a legal assistant in a legal services program for the poor. This shows that I put action behind my words bout helping poor people. I was not being paid. During this time, the painter for one of the contractors engaged to rehabilitate slum housing in Westchester County, New York took a liking to a 13 year old girl in one of the apartments he was painting. Can anyone tell us why the 13 year old girl wasn't in school, and wound up pregnant by the painter? Is this a worthwhile use of taxpayer and government money?

The even-more-liberal attorney I was working under had, let us say, a very serious difference of opinion with me about this matter. I asked her what the 13 year old girl's mother did for a living. She said "she's a mother." If she was being a full time mother, then, how did her daughter wind up pregnant at the age of 13 by a painter? And what net gain did those legal services I helped provide give to the poor people? Probably none.

My point in all of this is that poor people do things that doom them and, worse, their offspring to continuing and grinding poverty, such as ensuring the dwellings they inhabit are, by and by, ruined.
(link to original)Because the painter was a pedophile would be my guess. "Taking a liking to" a 13-year-old in my book means being friendly, not getting them pregnant.

I mean, seriously... A child gets pregnant by an adult man and it's all her and her mother's fault for making bad choices? What about it being HIS FAULT for preying on an adolescent girl?
First, I have no idea about the painter's age. Let's say he was 19, then he's not such a pedophile.

My point was that the responsible adult, i.e. the mother, was absent. She wasn't working. Either she herself was high, having sex, or otherwise engaged in recreation. She didn't work. She didn't go to school.

It is the parent's, not the painter's job to structure life for a child. We pay for the negligence in the handouts.
In a later post Ceece said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece
(link to original) I "wouldn't guess" that at all. Have you SEEN some of the 13 year old girls around? They aren't little children (pedophile requirement) they often present much older. Not that I'm giving the painter a pass, he is part of the problem too. However, the biggest question in this situation was why a 13 year old is doing what she's doing without mom knowing. Too many other kids perhaps? Or just not interested?

Breaking the poverty cycle is near impossible unless you stop raising kids in a negative environment. It only takes a few years in there to ruin most of them for life.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
No they don't.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
How does it feel about the "free stuff" given to foreign armies when they throw it away and run when called on to fight?

Old 07-06-2015, 03:04 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
Here is an idea. Stop giving out free stuff and maybe those who were getting free stuff might get a job to get the stuff they were once getting for free.

Weird concept but it might work.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:08 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Here is an idea. Stop giving out free stuff and maybe those who were getting free stuff might get a job to get the stuff they were once getting for free.

Weird concept but it might work.
And poof as there is a massive drop in domestic spending, jobs will magically appear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies