Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:51 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
A lot of Southerners who are not racists view that flag as a symbol of southern pride and identity.
I like to think that the South has more to be proud of than that shameful 5-year interlude.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:55 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
And if that's true, it's also true that those were democrats doing it. The history of the Democratic Party is one steeped in racism, slavery, segragation, lynching, racial supremesist groups like the KKK, and filibustering both the civil rights laws and anti-lynching legislation. The Democratic Party should be the one banned. It's good to know your history. Tumf
Yes, yes, yes, we all are aware that at one time Conservatives were Democrats and Progressives were Republicans. Which party they belonged to then and which party they belong to now has nothing to do with the fact that the Confederate flag was brought out of storage just at the time that the Civil Rights movement (led by a Democrat, LBJ, I should note. This is why Conservatives fled the Democratic party to begin with) was picking up steam.

It was dusted off and placed atop the capitol of SC to remind blacks of their place when they were trying to achieve their civil rights under the law. What that has to do with today's Democrats only you know.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Its kind of like African pride, black is beautiful, black power, etc. You know, that kind of pride
No...I don't know.

I don't believe in racial pride. I'm on record for saying that many times.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:21 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No...I don't know.

I don't believe in racial pride. I'm on record for saying that many times.
Then I guess that is why you having a problem understanding that a lot of people are proud to be from the South.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:33 PM

716 posts, read 393,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Know your history, folks.
The Confederate Flag was NOT created to promote hatred towards any group.
It was a flag that displayed its wanting to be separated from the government of the north, as they were unfairly represented.
Not until the KKK started using it, was it then seen (by some) with racist intent.

Saying that this flag is a symbol of hatred is like saying a picture of a plane is a symbol of terrorism... Only if you see it that way does it hold true.
Know your history?!?

The Klan uses the Stars and Stripes, it's the racist segregationists that adopted the slavers flag to protest the civil rights movement in the sixties. Do conservatives learn their history from watching Faux news?!?

Old 07-08-2015, 02:39 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Whoever game me rep points and said, "You are a rare voice of reason."
Thank you...

Old 07-08-2015, 02:42 PM

594 posts, read 346,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Correct - during the civil rights struggle, it was appropriated by some very, very unwholesome types. But both in 1861 and in 1961, it was a chosen symbol of those who did not want to accept the idea of black people having rights, let alone equal rights.
Yup, that would be the Democrats that you are describing. Ban the Democratic Party, it represents slavery, segregation, and racism, the KKK, lynching, pole taxes, etc...

Old 07-08-2015, 02:43 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Know your history?!?

The Klan uses the Stars and Stripes, it's the racist segregationists that adopted the slavers flag to protest the civil rights movement in the sixties. Do conservatives learn their history from watching Faux news?!?

the klan also burned crosses, why dont we ban all church crosses too

Old 07-08-2015, 02:44 PM

594 posts, read 346,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Know your history?!?

That would be democrats, once again.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
This whole thread is a sleight of hand.
The headline says "Marion County Florida votes to fly Confederate Flag over govt buildings". The title is very misleading. They want you to think that they've put flags in front of government buildings but that's not the case.
They put one flag back in it's normal resting place next to the confederate fallen officers memorial. Which is appropriate for it's usage. It is NOT co opting the American or State flag in any official government building.

You guy's going to rehash the causes for the civil war again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies