Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:09 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Well, Newt Gingrich, and a bunch of the televangelists.

One reason that I refuse to classify myself as a conservative or adopt conservative social values is that I won't advocate standards I don't plan on keeping myself. Even though I am quite the family man and have not cheated on my wife, ever, I still have many faults.
Good man.

When somebody makes a point of telling me how moral they are, I automatically distrust them. And I've been proven right more often than not.

If somebody can't acknowledge their own flaws and all those shades of gray we live in... then it tells me that they aren't even CAPABLE of being honest. How can a man be honest when he believes in fairy-tales?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:16 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Good man.

When somebody makes a point of telling me how moral they are, I automatically distrust them. And I've been proven right more often than not.

If somebody can't acknowledge their own flaws and all those shades of gray we live in... then it tells me that they aren't even CAPABLE of being honest. How can a man be honest when he believes in fairy-tales?
"Just remember. If you believe it's true, then it's not a lie." George Costanza

Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking!!

How does Cosby have anything to do with Obama?
In the alternate universe Obama is like punctuation, every sentence requires at least one reference.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:33 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times

Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Default Nobel "Peace Prize" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I wonder if the same people who are petitioning to revoke Bill Cosby's medal are also indignant and adament that President Obama should return his Nobel "Peace Prize" medal?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//pe...dom-bill-cosby

I don't condone what Bill Cosby did at all, 'just pointing out how people can be lemmings and follow anything that is trending in the name of Political Correctness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Because the president is a rapist?
Obama's Promise to withdraw troops in Iraq by 2009

What he said he would do and what he has done is as different as night is to day.
Let me know when this changes.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
Everyone knows Cosby raped those women because of Obama.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
No he allows the military bombing third world countries.
This is a false equivalency.
Bill Cosby acted as a single private citizen. Barack Obama acted not as a single citizen, but only as the President of the United States.

And as far as a petition to remove his Nobel prize goes- who are you going to petition?

The medal Cosby received is an award of the United States government. As such, the government awarded it, and the government can take it away.

The Nobel prize is a private award, given by a private Norwegian committee acting on behalf of the award founder's wishes. It carries no official sanction, and has never influenced any of the other Presidents who have received it.
In fact, all have issued orders for violent action after receiving the award.

Teddy Roosevelt sent the Marines to the Philippines after winning, an intervention into a sovereign nation.

Woodrow Wilson sent U.S. troops into Russia to intervene in the Russian revolution.

Jimmy Carter sent in troops in Iran in a failed hostage release attempt, contrary to the international laws concerning hostage release.

None were asked to send their award back. All acted in behalf of their nation as the nation's elected leader at the time.

The Nobel Peace Prize is most often awarded in the hope it will further the attempts at peace the recipients have done. There is never a guarantee that peace will come from the issuance of the prize, and some of the efforts were very short-lived. Others did create a more lasting peace, but as often as not, all efforts at reaching a long lasting or permanent peace have so far ultimately failed.

Wilson was awarded the prize for his creation of the League of Nations, an organization his own country refused to join. The League's efforts, due to the limits of its foundational documents, did not only fail to stop another pan-European war, it made the rise of Nazi Germany even easier than it might have been otherwise.

That's why the United Nations charter, the League's replacement, had some military teeth written into it.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Well, Newt Gingrich, and a bunch of the televangelists.

One reason that I refuse to classify myself as a conservative or adopt conservative social values is that I won't advocate standards I don't plan on keeping myself. Even though I am quite the family man and have not cheated on my wife, ever, I still have many faults.

You don't "classify yourself as a Conservative.....because you're not one. Nothing profound there.

Neither is Bill Cosby, BTW--and he never was.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:26 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
He should have said, "Thank you, and I'm honored to be selected as the recipient of this prize. That said... now let me be clear... I was only in office for nine days when that decision was handed down. I really haven't done anything to deserve this yet, but I'll try my best." And then he should have returned it.

The prize is a joke anyway, but at least there's an argument that can be made for why other controversial figures have won the award. But a man who has sat in office for nine days? That is beyond absurd.
I'm not saying Obama deserved it, but where are you getting the "nine days" stuff?

Quote:
The 2009 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to U.S. President Barack Obama for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between people". The Norwegian Nobel Committee announced the award on October 9, 2009, citing Obama's promotion of nuclear nonproliferation and a "new climate" in international relations fostered by Obama, especially in reaching out to the Muslim world.

The Nobel Committee's decision drew mixed reactions from US commentators and editorial writers across the political spectrum, as well as from the rest of the world.

Obama accepted the prize in Oslo on December 10, 2009. In a 36-minute speech, he discussed the tensions between war and peace and the idea of a "just war" saying, "perhaps the most profound issue surrounding my receipt of this prize is the fact that I am the Commander-in-Chief of the military of a nation in the midst of two wars."

Old 07-15-2015, 09:50 PM

35,076 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Everyone knows Cosby raped those women because of Obama.
No. He was provoked by a Confederate battle flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies