Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S annex Canada.
Yes, it would be a great move. 19 17.43%
No, it's wrong and would be bad. 90 82.57%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Until such time that there is any indication that Canada - in other words, the majority of its populace - wanted to be part of the United States, this question is moot.

At the very least, the hypothetical should include the dynamics of the union. The word 'annex' implies that Canada would form one or more states. What states would these be? If each of the ten Canadian provinces was granted statehood, you'd have those ten provinces-turned-states comprising 10% of the population while gaining 20 seats in the newly-enlarged Senate, or 17% of the 120 seats then in that body. Personally, I don't see many United States Senators, being inclined to vote to dilute their own comparative influence that much. And new states must be admitted by Congress.

Further, given the fact that Canada as a whole is generally well to the left of the United States politically, it seems like there'd be a whole lot of opposition from Republicans to this development, further complicating the process.

You see, for this to happen, most of the players - electorates, politicians - would have to want it to happen. And it doesn't look like anywhere close to a majority, in fact, wants it.
I spent quite a lot of time in Canada.
I can assure you they have no desire to be annexed. Most of them think we are crazy, sort of like a crazy cousin who is all brawn and no brains. Half of them like us a lot more than the other half, and all of them resent the fact they know everything about us and we know nothing about them.

If you think Americans are proud, spend some time up north. Canadians are intensely proud of the nation and culture, and you don't hear any talk about leaving Canada because of the politics. Canada is not nearly as liberal as Americans think. They still think first about the common good for all Canadians, so they all like their health care and their social programs, but everything else is contended just as much as it is here. The only difference is they're more polite in their arguments, and more informed about Canadian civic matters than most Americans are about ours.

And they sure don't want American extremists of any stripe moving there, that's for sure. We're not only crazy, we are uncivilized, impolite and illiterate, and way too full of hubris for our own good.

Even if they like you, and even if you are law abiding and productive, it's still hard to get a long-term visa, and the Canadian immigration people will go over your record and personal history with a fine-toothed comb before the will grant it. Unless you have a handful of recommendations from Canadians, they will also take their own sweet time granting a visa.

They liked us a lot better 10-15 years ago, before the lunacy set in. I'm sure that if I was to go back right now, I would be viewed with a lot more suspicion and/or hostility than I was 9-10 years ago when I was going up there a lot.

Nope. There will be no annexation, ever. There may come a time when we want it, but there will never be a time when they will.

Last edited by banjomike; 07-16-2015 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 05:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Nope. There will be no annexation, ever. There may come a time when we want it, but there will never be a time when they will.
Exactly. We have a high concentration of Canadians coming to the Pacific Northwest to shop but they have no desire whatsoever to be "annexed" by the U.S.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:35 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,025 times
Let's make a trade: Louisiana and Maine for everything west of Quebec.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Let's make a trade: Louisiana and Maine for everything west of Quebec.
Louisiana? I find it humorous how many posters would rather be annexed by Canada.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:41 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Exactly. We have a high concentration of Canadians coming to the Pacific Northwest to shop but they have no desire whatsoever to be "annexed" by the U.S.
Yup. I spent all my time in B.C., and fit right in because I come from a very similar culture to that province's, but some folks I met still suspected I was an idiot until I proved otherwise. Most like America, but few want to move here full-time. Fewer still want to become citizens.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Louisiana? I find it humorous how many posters would rather be annexed by Canada.
A bunch of us speak french, the state is pretty purple on economic matters, it's catholic, 700,000 Louisianians have lineage to Canada, why not?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
A bunch of us speak french, the state is pretty purple on economic matters, it's catholic, 700,000 Louisianians have lineage to Canada, why not?
It just goes against the OP's theory that we should take Canada when it sounds like many posters would rather be taken BY Canada. Probably not what the OP was hoping for.

That aside, I don't think a state that elected right winger Jindal TWICE is blue enough for Canada.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It just goes against the OP's theory that we should take Canada when it sounds like many posters would rather be taken BY Canada. Probably not what the OP was hoping for.

That aside, I don't think a state that elected right winger Jindal TWICE is blue enough for Canada.
The state hates his guts now. His approval rating in this state is lower than Obama or Hillary. Let the US take the protestant top half, they're mostly backwards rednecks with little money anyways.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:29 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
If a there was a plebiscite in Canadian province or territory that demonstrated such a desire I see no reason why the U.S. Should not do so. However, lacking such a plebiscite or a request to do so by Ottawa there is no reason the U.S. Should do so.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:

They liked us a lot better 10-15 years ago, before the lunacy set in. I'm sure that if I was to go back right now, I would be viewed with a lot more suspicion and/or hostility than I was 9-10 years ago when I was going up there a lot.
Really - news to me lol... I think the biggest thing some Canadians have (vocal minority) is this notion that we are more civilized than Americans. These type of people generalize all Americans without taking into account most Americans are probably more like 'we' are than they realize. Anyway suspicion and/or hostility I don't think so but for some a bit of we are a more civilized bunch - yeah you'll get that.. Just tell em that their Prime Minister is a cold bonehead CONservative and it'll shut them up fast.

Quote:
As a famous Canadian turned American once said... "never say never"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies