Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 06:48 PM

59,110 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
They are guns the American majority who don't own guns disapprove of, they are guns knowledgeable gun owners disapprove of, and most importantly they are the guns that mass murderers use when they kill large numbers of people in schools and movie theaters (most mass murders in America are done with assault weapons.)

And any person knowledgeable about guns knows assault weapons are not needed by regular Americans. If you want to kill a bird you use a shotgun, if you want to kill a small animal you use a small caliber rifle, if you want to kill a deer you use a high powered rifle, and if you want to kill large numbers of human beings at both close and far ranges you use a assault weapon.

And for home defense assault weapons large caliber bullets will travel through walls and go great distances (they are not safe for home defense.) Instead a shotgun or pistol is better for home defense.

90% of the NRA’s political donations go to republicans (the NRA is 90% republican.)
MSNBC guest says 'Democrats 'are in the pocket of the NRA' | PunditFact

Over 50% of the American population are gun grabbers. And any rational political group in a voting country who only has 24% of the vote would try to negotiate with a 76% majority instead of saying "F. you we call all the shots."

The republican gun owning minority has no knowledge of firearms, statistics, voting, and cultural events that decrease gun ownership year after year. But the sad thing is today we can all walk into a store and buy a shotgun and a box of shells, but with republican stupidity we may one day end up like Europe (and unable to purchase guns and ammo.)
"most mass murders in America are done with assault weapons."

Only proves you don't know what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:51 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Assault weapons are fully automatic. The civilian versions here shoot at no faster rate of fire than any semi auto hunting rifle.
I use my AR for hog hunting and rifle competitions. The .223 round is great for both.
It would be a good home defense firearm for a natural disaster situation. We have hurricanes here.
Not to mention that an ar15 is more ergonomically adjustable while having low recoil making it easier for women, seniors and the physically disabled to use compared to handguns and shotguns.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:52 PM

59,110 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Not really, historically gun approval is higher now than in the last 60-70 years. The democrats even tried to ban handguns as part of the nfa in the 30's. Concealed carry permits were non existent in the 80's. Guns have become much more mainstream than in the past.
"Not really"

EVERY house had gun back in the olden says.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Not really"

EVERY house had gun back in the olden says.
Guns were a tool of the farm back in the days. Now they have taken more of a self defense role.

Over the century people didn't not carry a gun for self defense like they do now. Like I said, handguns were almost completely banned in the 30's.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:02 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well, I imagine it is more than 12 million, therefore it is a safe guess that those getting a CCW are actually people who already own guns rather than a first time gun owner.
Estimates are 125 million Approx.
Every indication out side of the pew poll, shows gun ownership is increasing. Even the Gallup poll shows ownership is about the same as always.
Both these polls are are small sample polls, so there are speculation... Not data.

I teach Qualify people for their CCW. I have attended national conferences for firearm instructors. Reports are that the fastest growing demographic of New CCWs are women and first time gun owners. Our ranges are packed with people taking firearm safety courses also. Firearm safety classes are usually taken by people new to firearms.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:08 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Why? That should be a personal choice for people who know how to properly handle a gun and know how to keep a gun secure in their possession....I have no interest encouraging any idiot that buys a gun to carry it around on them at all times.
You ask why? Because you said white males are still getting robbed despite millions of CCWs. So I said maybe there is not enough.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Estimates are 125 million Approx.
Every indication out side of the pew poll, shows gun ownership is increasing. Even the Gallup poll shows ownership is about the same as always.
Both these polls are are small sample polls, so there are speculation... Not data.

I teach Qualify people for their CCW. I have attended national conferences for firearm instructors. Reports are that the fastest growing demographic of New CCWs are women and first time gun owners. Our ranges are packed with people taking firearm safety courses also. Firearm safety classes are usually taken by people new to firearms.
That too sounds like nothing more than speculation. Do you have anything that show these reports that first time gun owners are the ones getting CCW permits rather than people who already have guns?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
You ask why? Because you said white males are still getting robbed despite millions of CCWs. So I said maybe there is not enough.
My point is that CCW isn't enough to prevent crime from happening. If a criminal wants to rob you, they are going to do so.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
My point is that CCW isn't enough to prevent crime from happening. If a criminal wants to rob you, they are going to do so.
So if not all criminals are stopped than we should not try to stop any criminals?

Why not let individuals make this decision for themselves?

I assume you still havnt read the link I provided to you?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:46 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
More people die from fists in a year than assault weapons.
Tell that to "Mothers Against Guns" or "Teachers Against Guns", but they don't care because guns kill more children than any other cause of death.

Gun deaths in children: Statistics show firearms endanger kids despite NRA safety programs.

Quote:
The NRA gives money to republicans because more republicans support gun right than democrats.
If the conservatives running the NRA had working brains they would give all their money to democrat politicians (you get what you pay for.)

Quote:
5.56 round out of an ar15 actually travels through fewer walls than a handgun or a shotgun. Not to mention that the caliber of an "assault rifle" is about half the size of 40 s&w cartridge.
Gun Myths: Walls, penetration and choosing a home defense firearm | Everything Buds
The 5.56x45mm round used in a AR15 has a velocity of 3,148 FPS and is accurate at 200 yards.
.223 Remington (5.56x45mm NATO) Ballistics GunData.org

A 12 Gauge shot gun "Personal Defense" shell has a velocity of about 1,145 FPS, is designed to dissipate energy upon hitting walls, and its optimum range is 15 yards.
Bet your life on it: Defensive shotgun ammunition | The Daily Caller

Quote:
More Americans think firearm rights should either be expanded or stay the same than being restricted. More Americans think they are safer with a gun in the home than not.
59% of Americans support an assault weapons ban.
59% Favor Assault Weapons Ban; 18% Want Handgun Ban, Too - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢

Quote:
The only person who doesn't know about guns is you.
Our posts show the opposite is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies