Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 01:18 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,915,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So basically having a gun hidden on you does not decrease your chances of being attacked because the item that would prevent such a crime is hidden, which we both know I am right.
Of course you are right. I never disagreed with you. Never have I said that having a gun prevents a crime. You've attributed that assertion to me and then argued against it as if I had said it.

However, criminals knowing that people may have a gun might prevent them from committing a crime. After James Craig, police chief of Detroit, started encouraging the public the get a CCW, he said he knew it had struck a cord with criminals, because they started noticing an uptick in criminals wearing bulletproof vests or criminals who made their victims disrobe to see if they had a gun.

If you're a criminal, which world is safer..... a world where CCW permits are reasonably easy to obtain by the general public, or a world where there's a blanket prohibition on people carrying guns? Criminals think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 06:53 AM

59,315 posts, read 27,477,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Guns were a tool of the farm back in the days. Now they have taken more of a self defense role.

Over the century people didn't not carry a gun for self defense like they do now. Like I said, handguns were almost completely banned in the 30's.
"handguns were almost completely banned in the 30's.No argument there.

ALMOST doesn't count.

We DID ban alcohol back in the 30's and we know how well THAT went.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 AM

59,315 posts, read 27,477,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Tell that to "Mothers Against Guns" or "Teachers Against Guns", but they don't care because guns kill more children than any other cause of death.

Gun deaths in children: Statistics show firearms endanger kids despite NRA safety programs.

If the conservatives running the NRA had working brains they would give all their money to democrat politicians (you get what you pay for.)

The 5.56x45mm round used in a AR15 has a velocity of 3,148 FPS and is accurate at 200 yards.
.223 Remington (5.56x45mm NATO) Ballistics GunData.org

A 12 Gauge shot gun "Personal Defense" shell has a velocity of about 1,145 FPS, is designed to dissipate energy upon hitting walls, and its optimum range is 15 yards.
Bet your life on it: Defensive shotgun ammunition | The Daily Caller

59% of Americans support an assault weapons ban.
59% Favor Assault Weapons Ban; 18% Want Handgun Ban, Too - Rasmussen Reports™

Our posts show the opposite is true.
I, and others, note ALL of your articles are from left sites. Whoda' thunk?

"If the conservatives running the NRA had working brains" The of course the usual juvenile insult.

Don't fret we consider the source and don't take you serious.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:32 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,841,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"handguns were almost completely banned in the 30's.No argument there.

ALMOST doesn't count.

We DID ban alcohol back in the 30's and we know how well THAT went.

Maybe you prefer a poll
http://www.gallup.com/poll/150341/re...ndgun-ban.aspx
A record-low 26% of Americans favor a legal ban on the possession of handguns in the United States other than by police and other authorized people. When Gallup first asked Americans this question in 1959, 60% favored banning handguns. But since 1975, the majority of Americans have opposed such a measure, with opposition around 70% in recent years.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,089,401 times
Quote:
That too sounds like nothing more than speculation. Do you have anything that show these reports that first time gun owners are the ones getting CCW permits rather than people who already have guns?
This data is not compiled anywhere. But thousands of firearm instructors gather each year at the shot show convention, and this is one of the topics discussed and everyone is reporting a huge increase in class attendance. I mean exponential growth. Not only in CCW classes by firearm safety classes as well and those people are almost always new to guns.

There are longer wait times that ever before at indoor gun ranges across the country.
Ammo manufactures report that the output for civilian use is at max capacity.
NICS checks are at an all time high.
CCWs have grown from 8 million to 12 million in the past 3 years.

This does not reflect that there is a sudden change of behavior of existing firearm owners. This can easily be attributed to a growing base of firearm owners.

The small sample poll from pew shows fewer gun owners. The small sample poll from Gallup shows a steady rate of gun ownership. The government says there is no accurate way to estimate gun ownership.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
My point is that CCW isn't enough to prevent crime from happening. If a criminal wants to rob you, they are going to do so.
In many cases you are right. I have pages of stories that people have successfully used a firearm to defend themselves and their families. CCWs are definitely not a cure all for every situation. As I teach my students, awareness and avoidance is your best defense. However if you find yourself in a scenario that you truly believe that if you don't act that you will die, then it is prudent to use your training.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
In many cases you are right. I have pages of stories that people have successfully used a firearm to defend themselves and their families. CCWs are definitely not a cure all for every situation. As I teach my students, awareness and avoidance is your best defense. However if you find yourself in a scenario that you truly believe that if you don't act that you will die, then it is prudent to use your training.
As ccw become more and more prevalent It starts to turn into a sort of heard immunity. When more and more people have ccw then everyone potentially has a ccw.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,245,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
This data is not compiled anywhere. But thousands of firearm instructors gather each year at the shot show convention, and this is one of the topics discussed and everyone is reporting a huge increase in class attendance. I mean exponential growth. Not only in CCW classes by firearm safety classes as well and those people are almost always new to guns.

There are longer wait times that ever before at indoor gun ranges across the country.
Ammo manufactures report that the output for civilian use is at max capacity.
NICS checks are at an all time high.
CCWs have grown from 8 million to 12 million in the past 3 years.

This does not reflect that there is a sudden change of behavior of existing firearm owners. This can easily be attributed to a growing base of firearm owners.

The small sample poll from pew shows fewer gun owners. The small sample poll from Gallup shows a steady rate of gun ownership. The government says there is no accurate way to estimate gun ownership.
And you are still talking very small numbers which is no different than sample size polls.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
And you are still talking very small numbers which is no different than sample size polls.
So 4 million increase in 3 years is small numbers?

You probably think Obamacare only helped a small number of people as well.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Can you show proof of the number of firearm owners growing? No, you can only say it.

When we were little kids we shot pellet guns with our friends, shot real guns with our parents, and begged for 12 gauge semi-automatic shotguns for Christmas.

But today kids stay inside playing video games, they shoot airsoft guns in the backyard, their parents work 2 jobs and don't have the time or wooded areas around them to shoot guns, and kids beg for smart phones for Christmas.

Common sense shows firearm owner decline.
Our government says there is no accurate way to determine firearm ownership.
There is no proof that firearm ownership is increasing or decreasing.
Kids have never been the dominating demographic for gun ownership, so I'm not sure what your point is on that.
My personal experience as a Firearms instructor that goes to a firearms instructor convention annually, lets me gather information from thousands of instructors. We always poll the instructors as to how their business is doing. Is it growing or not. All instructors are reporting growth in their businesses.
Basic firearm safety classes are going through the roof. People that take these courses are usually new to firearms.
CCW classes are growing exponentially as well. The largest growing demographic is women.
None of this is official data, however there is no way to compile gun ownership info, so this the only way we know to gauge gun ownership. Not to mention the explosion in background checks reported by the FBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies