Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 10:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,125,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I quoted your own posts:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/40570933-post334.html

You have already said you choose to donate to private charities rather than send the U.S. Treasury more money to care for the poor. Conservatives/Republicans feel the same way.
Here's my entire post that you dishonestly didn't post in it's entirety.... Bolded for emphasis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
What a lame argument.

I personally wouldn't be able to make much of a dent in my zip code, let alone city or state. It's a logistical issue. If charities didn't do much to alleviate poverty for a significant group of people in the past, why would it work now?

Even me? LOL. Ideologues crack me up.

I do entrust the government to provide adequate care for the poor, which is why I advocate for more and better social spending.

I donate and volunteer at local charities because it's a more direct way see your time and money in action.

Should I assume this deflection is signal that you've raise the white flag?
Are you able to have a honest discussion? Dishonesty only makes you and your position weak.

Notice how you didn't post the bolded..... Lies make baby jesus sad.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:35 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Are we cutting ALL welfare benefits here? Bailouts to banks, tax cuts to businesses, loan forgiveness to businesses, etc? What about Medicare? School vouchers? Grants and scholarships to college? Tax exemptions for having children? Are we taking away the tax exemption status of churches? Allowing that is a big welfare grant right there. What about tax exemptions for being blind? Are we still going to allow businesses to match 401K contributions? We are talking about taking away anything that's free here that people don't specifically earn, right?

Old 07-26-2015, 10:39 PM

7,516 posts, read 5,760,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
A lot of people on City-Data, and in America in general, are completely against welfare of all kinds, including for people with disabilities and dependent children whose parents are too poor.

What do you suggest be done with them? Throw them all in privatized jails? Let them beg on the street (but then again, you want to criminalize begging?) Force them to live on "reservations"?

I just don't see a conservative solution to poverty. You could just tell them to "go get a job", but in 2015 those jobs don't even exist! And people cannot survive on pennies an hour. It sounds to me like people who want to abolish welfare are basically asking for mass death and starvation, just like the Irish potato famine. I think there is a Malthusian agenda here.
If your going to take welfare money you work in a civil job. Clean streets, gardening in the city, assist farmers if your in the country etc.. No free meal ticket period

Old 07-26-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Are we cutting ALL welfare benefits here? Bailouts to banks, tax cuts to businesses, loan forgiveness to businesses, etc? What about Medicare? School vouchers? Grants and scholarships to college? Tax exemptions for having children? Are we taking away the tax exemption status of churches? Allowing that is a big welfare grant right there. What about tax exemptions for being blind? Are we still going to allow businesses to match 401K contributions? We are talking about taking away anything that's free here that people don't specifically earn, right?
We're going back to the early to mid 19th century without the agrarian system that allowed people to be self sufficient.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
If your going to take welfare money you work in a civil job. Clean streets, gardening in the city, assist farmers if your in the country etc.. No free meal ticket period
Most welfare recipients who aren't children, disabled, or elderly do work. Now I wouldn't be against requiring the others to do some community service like picking up trash, sprucing up public parks, etc.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:29 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,888,566 times
Quote:
Here's my entire post that you dishonestly didn't post in it's entirety.... Bolded for emphasis:
In your posts, you claim charities haven't alleviated poverty, yet you donate to them instead of sending more money to the U.S. Treasury. What's up with that?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/40567819-post315.html

Old 07-27-2015, 02:55 PM

659 posts, read 313,014 times
Not sure how easy it is to get into this mix (and not sure I want to), but a quick read of a good many comments seems to suggest that here too my "Cement Theory" is holding fast and true.

I could weigh in as to the right or wrong of these comments, the true and/or false, but I have learned over time there is little good reason to do so, again because of what I call my "Cement Theory."

In short, my theory is born from my many observations that after we get past our twenties (if not at even a younger age), our political and religious convictions become for the most part set and not to be changed no matter the facts, no matter the logic, no matter the arguments. Of course, there are always the rare exceptions to even the most common rules, but for the most part my theory holds true with just about everyone I meet (and as many have agreed with me over time).

Accordingly, it is interesting the time and effort invested in such debates when the fact of the matter is that no one is likely to change their mind. Or perhaps someone would like to test my theory here? Maybe at least give me a reason to bother with facts, figures or opinion one way or another...

Does anyone really believe that sharing opinion makes a difference? Any good examples of anyone changing their mind? About anything?

Not to "rain on the parade" here, but I am really curious, or maybe just wanting a good reason to bother...

Old 07-27-2015, 03:04 PM

13,655 posts, read 20,791,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
Not sure how easy it is to get into this mix (and not sure I want to), but a quick read of a good many comments seems to suggest that here too my "Cement Theory" is holding fast and true.

I could weigh in as to the right or wrong of these comments, the true and/or false, but I have learned over time there is little good reason to do so, again because of what I call my "Cement Theory."

In short, my theory is born from my many observations that after we get past our twenties (if not at even a younger age), our political and religious convictions become for the most part set and not to be changed no matter the facts, no matter the logic, no matter the arguments. Of course, there are always the rare exceptions to even the most common rules, but for the most part my theory holds true with just about everyone I meet (and as many have agreed with me over time).

Accordingly, it is interesting the time and effort invested in such debates when the fact of the matter is that no one is likely to change their mind. Or perhaps someone would like to test my theory here? Maybe at least give me a reason to bother with facts, figures or opinion one way or another...

Does anyone really believe that sharing opinion makes a difference? Any good examples of anyone changing their mind? About anything?

Not to "rain on the parade" here, but I am really curious, or maybe just wanting a good reason to bother...
Well, there is that old stereotype about holding liberal beliefs in youth and then becoming somewhat more conservative as one ages. I have certainly seen this and it happened to me.

To be fair, I have several friends who were conservative and are now on the left.

So yes, opinions change, but probably over time.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:06 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Most welfare recipients who aren't children, disabled, or elderly do work. Now I wouldn't be against requiring the others to do some community service like picking up trash, sprucing up public parks, etc.
Sooo...we should fire the folks that pick up trash, and spruce up these places.....and make:
The children, the disabled, and the elderly do it? Really? Because by gosh those people desperately need to work hard!

Sigh.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In your posts, you claim charities haven't alleviated poverty, yet you donate to them instead of sending more money to the U.S. Treasury. What's up with that?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/40567819-post315.html
I said exactly why I donate to charities. I can't help it if choose to use dishonesty to put words in mouth, that's on you. Not to mention, your deflection and personal attack on my character for ascribing philosophies and ideologies to me that I don't agree with.

Why do you continue to be dishonest? I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.