Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,399,523 times

Advertisements

I got reemed out as a racist on the Orlando forum for saying this...but I don't think people who move here should be speaking only different tongues and waving flags of different nations or islands and having parades. I don't speak Hispanic and I'm getting tired of hearing it everywhere I go. What nation am I in now?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Yes. Move to any spanish speaking country and you better learn spanish. So why not have to speak english here.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:33 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times
It seems Spanish speakers moving to the U.S. are the only people in the world not trying to learn English.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:16 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
I mean, yeah. If you move to any country, it's a good idea to speak the language that at least half the people speak so you can effectively communicate. I don't think it necessarily needs to be a prerequisite, but it's a good idea for their own sake really. I've worked with people who don't speak very good English, and even that is tough, and not just on me.

American's are very self important, and I'm not saying that in a way that doesn't include me at all because I've done it too, but whenever we run into someone who doesn't speak our language, we get offended by how frustrating it is for us. What about them? They can't talk to anyone except the people who were the plane with them when they got here. That's gotta be lonely and difficult. Have some sympathy.

So I think you should always put an effort into learning the language of the area you're going to. Not necessarily 'the countries language.' I know in a lot of European countries there's a French side and a German side or whatever, so if you move to the Netherlands and live in the French speaking side, you probably don't need German. But they probably have it. Pretty much everywhere besides the US and Canada minus Quebec speak multiple languages.

But yeah, overall it's best to learn the language that will help you communicate the most. I don't think it needs to be a requirement, but it should be encouraged.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I got reemed out as a racist on the Orlando forum for saying this...but I don't think people who move here should be speaking only different tongues and waving flags of different nations or islands and having parades. I don't speak Hispanic and I'm getting tired of hearing it everywhere I go. What nation am I in now?
Of course. If someone calls you a "racist", you may want to ask that person to look into moving OUT of the US if they don't like the way we roll.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:21 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
When spending a lot of time in China I also started learning Mandarin. I would expect anyone going to actually live in a country to learn the language. (some exceptions for those over 65 perhaps)

Old 07-21-2015, 07:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
U.S. has no official language because we're a free country where people can do what they want so long as it's not harming others.

You lovers of Big Government can support your bloated bureaucracies to force people to act, think, and talk like you, but I'm a Real American sticking by the Real American way.

When our ancestors came, they spoke Polish, German, whatever else, often for a whole generation, living pretty much isolated in their own communities from the other ethnic enclaves. Even generations later, their deep ethnic influence and pride in their homeland lives on in stories, recipes, songs, and phrases of the old language.

Let them do them and you do you. No one's getting hurt by it.

Funny, a lot of people who don't want to see other nations' flags flown here are fine seeing the flag of a treasonous secession attempt from this country. I don't care what people do with any flag on their private property, but can't say any of the newcomers have that under their belt!

(p.s. nobody "speaks Hispanic". The language is called Spanish. It has a long, rich history beginning on another continent and moving here).

Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
I agree that they should learn English, but how do they go about doing that? Are there places where they can take classes?

I know that back in the early 1900s there were a lot of private organizations that provided English classes. That's how my grandparents learned.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 PM

847 posts, read 767,309 times
you can't force anybody to learn a language. we have not been able to teach people to use correct grammar.

it is about economic incentives. most jobs available to undocumented or undocumented (or illegal) folks
involves skills that does not require a whole lot of communication.

and most of them know to how to communicate. it is just with long pauses.

I have noticed that we have so many immigrants in this country. but some people remain total a-holes to them.

if you see the guy is no picking up your weird Boston Accent or Southern Drawl. slow down and say you sentence
concisely perhaps with alternative easier words.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
It should be a Godamn LAW that you must have a rudimentary understanding of English to get any damn government services.

Meh, private I could careless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies