Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times

Advertisements

I think this kind of innovation is great... imagine being able to go outside of this planet on a regular basis??? perhaps there's hope for the human race?? there's hope in leaving this tired old planet behind right? lol... perhaps christian conservatives can change their views about global warming and the environment... at the moment it seems they don't want to care because jesus will come and make everything better ... in 30 years we can hear them saying... we don't need to worry about it... we've got 3 other planets to go live on if it gets too bad... I just hope we don't find a planet filled with oil deposits.. then we're going to be screwed... and lets hope they have a creation story for those other three planets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 PM

711 posts, read 932,759 times
Smile The high and the mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
you see it so wrong and jaded.It's about technological and innovative progress,something that helps all people eventually.When the auto,TV,VCR,dishwasher and a host of other new advances came out most people couldn't afford it but as it progressed it became more affordable.

I think it's great that in a world of so many problems positive things about the human race are still being sought and achieved.Of course many will want to tax heavily the people who dream up and work hard and take risks to advance this because they will be "elite rich people" for making this technology happen.

We should be focusing harder on going to Mars,expanding ourselves in space,man has a search for knowledge and a appetite for adventure in the soul that will never stop........I hope.
IMO you are wrong and worse than jaded.
How you can compare autos, dishwashers, etc. to this toy for the privileged is beyond me. These common household items were not designed by or for a specific or special group of people. I don't think many people will eventually be able to afford this can and it will probably remain the province of a very small segment of our population.

As far as technology and innovation is concerned I don't need you to remind me, aviation is my lifelong profession. The foreign billionaire and the aerospace designer best hurry along as it is common knowledge there is little new to their toy and we have already gleaned more info. from our highly advanced aircraft of many years than is likely to be derived from their efforts.
If ego trips, narcissism and blantant excess is your idea of advancements, yes, they are putting those things up for display in a somewhat unique manner. However these traits are not new or a boon to mankind!

Most citizens today fly in proven luxurious highly advanced commercial aircraft. For most of us this is sufficient. US aircraft and flight personnell are the worlds finest.

As for a real space expedition we already have an active space program, too bad we don't have more money to allocate to it. Do you suppose the billionaire and the aerospace designer will develope their own space travel for the elite? There is some education and rigorous training required and I am sure Gov't. regulations to adhere to. Best of luck to them.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
Most citizens today fly in proven luxurious highly advanced commercial aircraft. For most of us this is sufficient. US aircraft and flight personnell are the worlds finest.
Not in my experience. I fly to England fairly often to visit friends and I won't even consider flying across the pond on an American airline. Twice, when I had no choice in the matter, I had to fly with a certain airline that starts with a C and it was a nearly literal disaster. Engines on fire, prepare for crash landing, you get the picture. On one of these trips, I had 40 students with me who were crying and phoning their parents telling them we were going to die. When I asked the crew for some snacks, beverages, SOMETHING to help me calm the kids down, they basically told me to go to hell and were henceforth rude. Not to mention that we had all saved and fund-raised for a year and a half to attend the Queen's Jubilee events in London. Thanks to this American carrier, we missed this one in a lifetime event.

So, I will only fly with Branson's Virgin Atlantic or British Airways. Lots of trips with them, no problems at all, flights on time (often even early), great food, free alcoholic beverages, and even free upgrades. If I had the bucks, YOU BET I'd fly a Branson craft into space. Until then, I'll just keep hoping his Virgin America airline expands into Texas.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:02 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
IMO you are wrong and worse than jaded.
How you can compare autos, dishwashers, etc. to this toy for the privileged is beyond me. These common household items were not designed by or for a specific or special group of people. I don't think many people will eventually be able to afford this can and it will probably remain the province of a very small segment of our population.

As far as technology and innovation is concerned I don't need you to remind me, aviation is my lifelong profession. The foreign billionaire and the aerospace designer best hurry along as it is common knowledge there is little new to their toy and we have already gleaned more info. from our highly advanced aircraft of many years than is likely to be derived from their efforts.
If ego trips, narcissism and blantant excess is your idea of advancements, yes, they are putting those things up for display in a somewhat unique manner. However these traits are not new or a boon to mankind!

As for a real space expedition we already have an active space program, too bad we don't have more money to allocate to it. Do you suppose the billionaire and the aerospace designer will develope their own space travel for the elite? There is some education and rigorous training required and I am sure Gov't. regulations to adhere to. Best of luck to them.
I just don't understand your objection to this craft,even if it's beyond most peoples ability to afford.It doesn't effect my life one way or the other if a rich person pays for a flight into space.While I might be envious,I think it's great that a person or people are innovative enough to advance this.And yes I think in time,though it may take a long time,if this takes off one day it may become more feasble that prices may become more competitive for flights.

The super rich can have all the toys they want as far as I'm concerned,as long as they aren't using their money or toys to puposely and actively deny my rights of freedom,then whatever.When in the old times people were surfs,nt allowed to own land and were told what they could or could not do,if we ever had a situation like that,then that would be a problem of the rch denying the poor.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
As for a real space expedition we already have an active space program, too bad we don't have more money to allocate to it. Do you suppose the billionaire and the aerospace designer will develope their own space travel for the elite?
Do you not give Mr. Branson any credit at all for, as a private citizen, taking a huge risk? Yes, for now, the cost to travel on these missions is steep - then again, so were the first calulators and personal computers.

I applaud Sir Richard and his team -

How about you?

Old 01-26-2008, 11:26 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Another not so well known private American space company.

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation - SpaceX

While not as radical as the Rutan designs, it is much more cost effective than what NASA produces.

Hope to see more of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies