Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:16 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,049,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Sigh.

Can you not read?

A liberal arts degree AND no concrete career plan.

I never said liberal arts was a throwaway degree as you imply. But if you seek one out, have tens of thousands of dollars in loans and still don't know how you can springboard from that degree into a real actual money paying job ... you are a moron.
Ok, let's take a degree such as political science or international relations. Many do have a concrete plan to hopefully get a job in dc with either congress, senate, white house, think tanks etc. And off subject but what these kids pay in interest is outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,004 times
The media sensationalism that college grads "can't find jobs" is very misleading.

My wife half sister was unemployed after graduating with a biomedical engineering degree in Florida.

U figure someone with good grades and that degree would be employable. So to the media she's unemployed.

But guess what? She can get a job. It's that she didnt wanted to move away from Florida. She wanted to live in Tampa, Orlando or Jacksonville. Too bad. She was 22 no kids. On/off boyfriend

Finally she branched out. She got a job in Philadelphia with a pharmaceutical company. Started her out at $55k and now at $70k after one year. She absolutely loves it in Philadelphia. She didn't think she would. But she's made friends there now.

Morale of story. Kids have to learn to be adults. Vast majority are very mobile and should move ANYWHERE that's populated in order to find jobs. Many are stuck in this generation me mentality. Go where the jobs are. If you can't find one in city of your choice. Too bad. Move.

There are jobs especially for college grads. A psych or English degree is still a degree. You'd be surprise who will hire you. You won't start making 6 figures. But you gotta start somewhere. My wife college roommate has psych degree and makes almost 100k as DOD contractor with psych degree now. And she's 31 years old. Just worked her way up.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
There is 1 exception. "Undue hardship".

Student Loan Debt in Bankruptcy | Nolo.com
Very few people qualify.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
But you will still be charged interests. Digging yourself into a deeper hole.
10% of your income for 25 years. You never have to pay more than that on federal student loans.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Even many years ago, PhDs weren't teaching much. The first year or two of most university classes are taught by indentured serfs.
PhD students that are in their research phase instruct courses. They're more than qualified.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Sigh.

Can you not read?

A liberal arts degree AND no concrete career plan.

I never said liberal arts was a throwaway degree as you imply. But if you seek one out, have tens of thousands of dollars in loans and still don't know how you can springboard from that degree into a real actual money paying job ... you are a moron.
Any degree with no concrete plan is of concern.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:45 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I worked 80 hours per week in the summer and 30 hours per week during the school year to avoid having any student loan debt. So I didn't have much of a life but I graduated college with a Bachelor and no debts. So if you don't want a huge student loan debt, don't go to a private college and work instead of going partying every night.

I did borrow when I went for an advanced degree but that was worth it.

Get tough and good luck.
You did it the hard way. I stayed at home, went to community college, worked the summers (40 hrs a week) did odd jobs occasionally, and am going to end up with 16K to the plus. Grant it, rent and food was free and my parents paid half, but when your semester bill is $2000 or $4000 for my last three semesters away from community college. I didn't have to penny pinch every day either, though I never just blew money, in HS or college. I came into it with savings.

It's really not THAT hard to do school with little debt. It just means you can't live the high life away from home at a prestigious university and then switch majors 4 times.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
You did it the hard way. I stayed at home, went to community college, worked the summers (40 hrs a week) did odd jobs occasionally, and am going to end up with 16K to the plus. Grant it, rent and food was free and my parents paid half, but when your semester bill is $2000 or $4000 for my last three semesters away from community college. I didn't have to penny pinch every day either, though I never just blew money, in HS or college. I came into it with savings.

It's really not THAT hard to do school with little debt. It just means you can't live the high life away from home at a prestigious university and then switch majors 4 times.
Maybe it was the hard way, but it was the more rewarding way. A lot of people are in it for the education and not just the paper. This leaves out community college as an option for the most part.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,771 times
I am carrying $100k in loan debt, however I don't believe my experience was typical.

Originally I attended a state university but had to leave (with poor grades) due to a medical issue and associated medical bills (bill collectors calling, trying to pay them and not eating for days) but this was back in the 1990s.

I worked for a number of years before moving to a city where I could work and attend classes at night, around 2007-2010. Of course, I got laid off plus I was attending a private university. (I had intended on attending the only state school, however this was in New Orleans, the state school had been devastated by Katrina and the graduation rate at the school was barely 10%. The only option was the evening classes at the private university. This is where 90% of my loan debt originated).

Now I'm near completing my Master's program at a school in the UK. Full scholarship for tuition fees but had to take out some loans for living expenses, plus I deferred a year, sold everything the accumulate savings. This still made my graduate school soooooooo much cheaper than it would have been in the US.

I come back to the US in a month. Downside, massive loan debt. Upside, I dont actually own anything outside of clothes...so I'm applying all over the US. I'm not tied to any one place.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:47 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
the other end of the spectrum would be the finance/computer science/business major that makes billions. He would pay a lot more because his education was worth a lot more.
Was the education itself worth more or he found a way to better use what he learned? So should everyone in that major who graduated at the same time pay that same amount, even those who did not take advantage of what they learned and end up dishing up fries? After all, that they received was of value but they chose to not take advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Their priorities are not social justice?
SJ priorities are redistributing the wealth of others, thus choosing to not repay that which they borrowed (and agreed to repay at the time) serves the SJ purpose. Stick it to the man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies