Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 1,979 times

Advertisements

I have an appointment to get into Job Corps in a few days, but I'm having second thoughts about it because Job Corps has a reputation for violence and careless/immature staff.

I am female, so I'm not particularly worried about gang violence (female gangs are fewer than male gangs)...I know women may fight over boyfriends and other stupid dramas, but I keep to myself and am good at avoiding that kind of thing...however, at the same time, I'm worried about the men there being "aggressive flirters". Let me explain: From what I've read, most people at job corps are criminals and delinquents from bad neighborhoods. The one time I lived in a bad neighborhood, I was sexually harassed at a gas station. I do not want a repeat of that while I'm trying to get my education.

I really just want to be left alone while I'm there. Is that possible at Job Corps? Because I've read that bullying, harassment, and generally obnoxious people are rampant there. Especially the bullying when you're new.

I'm not sure how to handle Job Corps. Is it as bad as it sounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
This is a duplicate of the OP's post in the North Carolina forum about the Kittrell Job Corps Center. I haven't heard about gang violence and intimidation at Job Center locations. Possibly the conditions the OP refers to, if true, are local to the Kitrell center (30 miles north of Raleigh).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_Corps

Ooops, I wrote too soon:
Grim reality of billion dollar gov't program - Jobs Corp | CBS

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e31564502.html

Cover Ups at Jobs Corps Threaten Student Safety

Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 1,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This is a duplicate of the OP's post in the North Carolina forum about the Kittrell Job Corps Center. I haven't heard about gang violence and intimidation at Job Center locations. Possibly the conditions the OP refers to, if true, are local to the Kitrell center (30 miles north of Raleigh).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_Corps
Most people haven't heard about it until you actually research it and see what people who have been there have to say about it. I hadn't heard about it either, until I did my research.

And it's not local to Kitrell, I bet it's worse in places like New York, Chicago, Detroit, etc. If I lived in any of those places, I wouldn't even *consider* job corps. Unless I wanted to die.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
There are 125 JobCorps in the U.S. 77% are operated by 4 private companies. The largest operator is Utah- based Management &Training Corp, one of the world's largest private prison operators with 25 prisons in 8 states under contract. To say they and the other private contractors grease the state and Congressional wheels would be an understatement. It does not matter who or what party is in control at the state or federal level.

There's never been a lack of controversy when it comes to government or private operators of federal and state work.

The remaining 28 JobsCorps centers are operated by the Ag and Interior Depts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies