Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I need your help on this. I would really be grateful to hear a rational argument of whether or not Planned Parenthood should be defunded.

We all have seen the articles of the undercover videos of the selling of fetal tissues and body parts.
If this is an illegal act, is this a rogue situation or is this sanctioned by Planned Parenthood itself?

I read somewhere that the "fees" charged are transportation fees, not fees for the parts.
Where are these fetuses going? Stem cell research labs, private

I'm especially interested in understanding the fiscal principals.

Does defunding Planned Parenthood go with the general (I believe) conservative ideal of keeping federal tax dollars away from organizations that should be privatized or supported only from private donations?

What other organizations do conservative believe should be defunded?

I know that abortion is a very small part of PP, but should taxes from those who are heartbroken by the thought of abortion and goes against their conscience be forced to participate though their tax dollars?

If PP is shut down what are alternatives for women as far as getting birth control etc. if they do not have health care? Are there other clinics or organizations that are not involved with abortion that would step in to provide contraception? Would they get Obamacare? (I know another can or worms!)

I was thinking of putting this in the debate forum, and will leave it up to the mods if they think it's more appropriate there, but since it's a controversial subject I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks for any replies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 12:19 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
I support planned parenthood because like it or not there would be more babies born in poverty without them, that's reaility. I also believe in preventive care. I think they need to aggresively catch and punish those involved in the recent scandals though.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:22 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hello everyone,
I need your help on this. I would really be grateful to hear a rational argument of whether or not Planned Parenthood should be defunded.

We all have seen the articles of the undercover videos of the selling of fetal tissues and body parts.
If this is an illegal act, is this a rogue situation or is this sanctioned by Planned Parenthood itself?

I read somewhere that the "fees" charged are transportation fees, not fees for the parts.
Where are these fetuses going? Stem cell research labs, private

I'm especially interested in understanding the fiscal principals.

Does defunding Planned Parenthood go with the general (I believe) conservative ideal of keeping federal tax dollars away from organizations that should be privatized or supported only from private donations?

What other organizations do conservative believe should be defunded?

I know that abortion is a very small part of PP, but should taxes from those who are heartbroken by the thought of abortion and goes against their conscience be forced to participate though their tax dollars?

If PP is shut down what are alternatives for women as far as getting birth control etc. if they do not have health care? Are there other clinics or organizations that are not involved with abortion that would step in to provide contraception? Would they get Obamacare? (I know another can or worms!)

I was thinking of putting this in the debate forum, and will leave it up to the mods if they think it's more appropriate there, but since it's a controversial subject I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks for any replies...

How about the corner drug store as an alternative?

Thirty Enumerated Powers | Tenth Amendment Center

Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
There must be 5-6 threads here already for you to read.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I support planned parenthood because like it or not there would be more babies born in poverty without them, that's reaility. I also believe in preventive care. I think they need to aggresively catch and punish those involved in the recent scandals though.

There may or may not be more unwanted pregnancies without PP.

We really have no way of knowing.

What we do know is there would be fewer fully developed and intentionally killed babies sold if PP went away.

Last edited by momonkey; 08-09-2015 at 12:54 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 12:31 AM

The way I view it is life is precious and if a baby is going to be born into a home where they will suffer from abuse, neglect etc I personally would rather not see them be born. If I were to be born into a household of abuse or neglect I would rather not be born. I don't believe in late term abortions, but I do believe in early abortions. When a baby is born, they deserve a full shot at life and if the family cannot afford one or doesn't have the ability to give him/her proper care, then the government is responsible. However, abortions only represent a TINY portion of their services. The majority goes to birth control and women preventive care. If anything, you could give them an ultimatum on no longer provide abortion services or else we will cut government funding. However, to say we are just going to cut funding regardless is the wrong move.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:51 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,323 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,
PP should 'drop a dime' to Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, Shriner's - and call YOU - donations and charity 'for the cause' works - all day long!!

Quote:
I know that abortion is a very small part of PP, ...
Maybe double-check that.....

IMO, PP can put on 'big boy pants' (oops!! big girl pants) and should be just fine via donations -- and really should be federally (taxpayer!) defunded.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The way I view it is life is precious and if a baby is going to be born into a home where they will suffer from abuse, neglect etc I personally would rather not see them be born. If I were to be born into a household of abuse or neglect I would rather not be born. I don't believe in late term abortions, but I do believe in early abortions. When a baby is born, they deserve a full shot at life and if the family cannot afford one or doesn't have the ability to give him/her proper care, then the government is responsible. However, abortions only represent a TINY portion of their services. The majority goes to birth control and women preventive care. If anything, you could give them an ultimatum on no longer provide abortion services or else we will cut government funding. However, to say we are just going to cut funding regardless is the wrong move.

For the billionth time, lots of nice couples are waiting to adopt newborns right now.

Women don`t get abortions because they don`t want to raise a child.

Women get abortions because they don`t want to be pregnant.

"I personally would rather not see them be born."

Who appointed you God?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:56 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Since disproportionately poor people and minorities are the ones using Planned Parenthood, you'd think conservatives would be thrilled with any abortions coming from that group. Seems kind of twisted to support the birth of people who in all other aspects of policy you basically hate.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
For the billionth time, lots of nice couples are waiting to adopt newborns right now.

Women don`t get abortions because they don`t want to raise a child.

Women get abortions because they don`t want to be pregnant.

"I personally would rather not see them be born."

Who appointed you God?
Um, no, orphanages are at capacity. Women get abortions for a variety of reasons, most of the time its because they don't have the ability to care for them whether it's financial, mental or environmental reasons. I would rather ser a potential life end vs an actual human being born only to face a life of misery and pain. This is where I really don't agree with Conservatives. You don't bring a life into this world unless you can care for them. If the government tells a woman she has no choice then that government is responsible for the well being of that child, which Conservatives are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies