Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:58 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There's "more to the story" but you don't know a lot about the situation. LOL

This was heading to the courts one way or the other, it's not a victory for anyone, that will be decided. I don't know what the point was of these needless threats by a bunch of rednecks.

I have to wonder what these Oath Keepers do for a living, are they retired on social security that they have this much time to travel around the country.
I'm at least willing to admit that I don't have all of the details of the story. I know enough about this situation to know that the media didn't touch on what this is really all about.

Post #8 in this thread by MTSilvertip was a nice overview of the situation.

I agree with you that there really isn't much of a story here unless the government does something stupid, and initiates a confrontation with the Oath Keepers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 06:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That just refers to their visits into town. They won't be in camo or openly carrying firearms when they come into town for groceries.
When you actually go there and see for yourself, then I will believe that stupid claim.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Within Lincoln, yes.

Back at base, it's summer camp for arrested development.

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Keep on believing that while you cower in your basement.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:20 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
White Hope Mine has a mining permit in the Helena National Forest in Montana. That permit places certain restrictions on surface operations. The operators built a garage and new road in the park without permission.
Armed Oath Keepers are now "protecting the mine" and the owners have blocked public roads and access to "their property" in the park.

U.S. Attorney Michael Cotter filed a civil suit Tuesday in federal court in Helena, Montana against George Kornec and Phil Nappo, owners of the White Hope Mine near Lincoln, Montana. The suit alleged the miners opened a road, built a garage and cut down trees on their mining claim without authorization, stored another individual's explosives on the site, and illegally turned members of the public away from the land by locking the gates to the property shut and posting no-trespassing signs.

The owners of a Montana gold mine sent a letter to the U.S. Forest Service earlier this month warning its employees to stay off the owners' property.

"Anyone entering onto the White Hope Mine, without previous coordination, will be charged" and arrested under Montana code, the letter read, according to court documents.

https://www.rt.com/usa/312329-oath-k...-montana-mine/

Armed Militia Converges On Montana Gold Mine, And The Feds Are Stepping In

So, these guys are defacing public property and excluding the public from gaining access.

They'll lose, no matter how many militia fools join them.

This will be settled in court.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:47 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Keep on believing that while you cower in your basement.
Yep.....

Cowering from the notion of idiotic, ignorant, stunted adolescents playing Army.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:02 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I'm at least willing to admit that I don't have all of the details of the story. I know enough about this situation to know that the media didn't touch on what this is really all about.

Post #8 in this thread by MTSilvertip was a nice overview of the situation.

I agree with you that there really isn't much of a story here unless the government does something stupid, and initiates a confrontation with the Oath Keepers.
The Oath Keepers went to the Bundy Ranch after several rulings by United States Courts already rendered an opinion that found him at fault.

There is really no need for them to elevate a situation that will be decided by the courts, this groups presence adds nothing. Lacking their presence this is a story played out across the US with little fanfare.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:09 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
You don't have to worry about the NY Times, LA Times, WSJ or Washington Post or any major news outlet carrying this story, there is none.

The only story is those attempting to make it into a major story.

No story? You react as if it were the hottest topic on CD.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
I'm guessing a disability retirement for a section 8 and food stamps.

I think the majority are conservatives and not liberals. It's not an OWS event.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:56 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
The Oath Keepers went to the Bundy Ranch after several rulings by United States Courts already rendered an opinion that found him at fault.

There is really no need for them to elevate a situation that will be decided by the courts, this groups presence adds nothing. Lacking their presence this is a story played out across the US with little fanfare.
If the Forest Service was simply going to use the courts to settle this issue, and not try to muscle the miners off their claim, then your are right, there is no need for the Oath Keeper to be there. However, there seems to be enough reason to believe that the FS intends to try to muscle them off the claim for the miners to call for the Oath Keepers.

The Bundy Ranch is a whole different issue all together. There was good reason to believe that large land developers were using the BLM to push ranchers out, so the they could develop their land.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:04 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
If the Forest Service was simply going to use the courts to settle this issue, and not try to muscle the miners off their claim, then your are right, there is no need for the Oath Keeper to be there. However, there seems to be enough reason to believe that the FS intends to try to muscle them off the claim for the miners to call for the Oath Keepers.

The Bundy Ranch is a whole different issue all together. There was good reason to believe that large land developers were using the BLM to push ranchers out, so the they could develop their land.
I find it amusing that the Oath Keepers protested against the court decsion in Nevada but in this case they want the court to intervene. If the ruling once again goes against the property owner and this miner is kicked off his property will they walk away, or more of the same protests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies