Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

I found this May,10th article on the police slowdown: Violence surges as officers feel hesitant - Baltimore Sun. It elaborates on many of the problems that still haunt the city. Lack of support from the city, the state and federal government is eroding police power and efficiency. I am curious how many officers took early retirement or went out because of health or mental problems? I can easily understand why officers are reluctant to venture into neighborhood where they are not welcomed and are not supported by their leaders.

In any organization, even with our firefighters and police, if you do not feel that you have the support of management; you look for another vocation or another area to practice your skill. Life isn't worth the stress and if people are so determined to kill one another; why should our officers go down with them? Of course the argument is that is what they are paid to do - but on the other side; nobody is paid enough to throw their life away without the support of the community or the acknowledgment they are trying to make the world a better place.

Going back to Packard fan's mention of 1955. I was 8 at that time and lived through a terrible flood. Out Notional Guard came in to restore order and they had orders to 'shoot to kill' any looters. You want to know something; we did not have any looting. People can easily understand that it is not in their best interest to loot; especially if the bullets are zipping by. Today we are very quick to give the criminals an excuse for their criminal activities.

So the outcome of all of this is that more bodies are on the street and now people are complaining.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Yawn....black thugs killing other black thugs.

#blackbehaviormatters!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:55 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Pointing out high black violence as a way to negate the issue of police abusing power over minorities seems like an attempt to negate their concerns or subdue them into silence.
Pointing out isolated incidents of police abusing power towards black people seems like an attempt to negate the concerns of police and those who care about law and order, and to subdue them into silence.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Pointing out isolated incidents of police abusing power towards black people seems like an attempt to negate the concerns of police and those who care about law and order, and to subdue them into silence.
You folks see this so much as "us vs. them". Perhaps you don't actually live near black cultures, but the reason they are upset - like the Baltimore riots - is years of systemic abuse by cops of all skin colors.

This attempt to negate their concerns on that matter because of others' bad behavior is troubling.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Quote:
I think your anger stems from misunderstanding.
Black Lives Matter doesn't exist to take on the persistent problem of black crime in low income areas. It exists to address the very specific issue of police abusing their power in all black communities - including middle class and others.

The very real police issue isn't negated because of the very real gang violence issue. Every time a black person kills another person, people on here are eager to chirp up and negate any other issues, calling them "hypocrites".

I don't know if this site is full of white supremacists (that's the rumor), but we can tackle two problems at once.
The Black Lives Movement is HYPOCRITICAL because of how that movement values a life. Here's their thought process:

- a black person is mistreated, injured or killed by police or a non-black person = protests and the threat of riots if immediate action isn't taken to punish the perpetrator

- a black person is mistreated, injured or killed by another black person = no f$cks given. No protests no demands for change NO NOTHING..

- a black person mistreats, injures or kills a non-black person = no f$cks given. Why would they want to highlight the fact that THEY'RE the ones who commit the most interracial crime in America and therefore aren't the victims that they constantly want you to believe that they are?

So basically all BLM matters cares about is fighting the very small percentage of blacks that are harmed or killed by non-blacks or police and caring NOT ONE BIT about the biggest problem that is black on black violence. How UTTERLY STUPID IS THAT?? What kind of crazy logic can justify protesting and getting up in arms ONLY when a non-black person harms a black person?

As I've said before, let's say BLM is 100% successful in changing the way police treat blacks and now law enforcement more or less treats blacks the same as they do anyone else. The question is what's the longterm benefit of this? Blacks are now not harassed or profiled by cops and needlessly questioned by them just because of their skin color.

That's great, but what else? What else is gained out of all this? Are their neighborhoods any less violent and ghetto? Nope. Are blacks treating each other any better as result of police treating them better? Of course not. Are blacks any happier and more peaceful so that their crime and murder rates will drastically go down? Hell no. So again I ask what's the net result? You got your wish and police treat you well now, but SO WHAT? Blacks will STILL have the same crime and murder and other problems as they've always had.

Maybe if they all came together and spent all that time and energy on raising their kids right, fixing their communities and getting rid of the criminals among them, they could have REAL longterm benefits that could genuinely save hundreds if not thousands of black lives from being the victims of murder.

Quote:
You folks see this so much as "us vs. them". Perhaps you don't actually live near black cultures, but the reason they are upset - like the Baltimore riots - is years of systemic abuse by cops of all skin colors.

This attempt to negate their concerns on that matter because of others' bad behavior is troubling.
Its blacks THEMSELVES who have turned things into 'us vs them' in this country and everywhere else in the world for that matter. Between blacks vs blacks, blacks vs non-blacks, blacks vs police and blacks vs practically any type of authority. Blacks seem to ALWAYS have a problem with something or someone much like Muslims do.

You tell me how often have blacks ever done things that were inclusive of non-blacks? Tell me how many things have blacks done to build relations between blacks and non-blacks or between blacks and police? Very little if anything. Contrast that to how much effort many non-blacks have put into trying to reach out to blacks and the difference is night and day.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:

Shyteak Lawrence, one of the July homicide victims, was a friend of Freddy Gray. He said when interviewed in April:

“I’m terrified to walk out here, not because of the men on the corner. It’s because of the officers.”

Lawrence was murdered by a black man who was not a cop.

The concerns of BLM and others re police shouldn't be ignored. otoh, I won't be tricked into believing what you call 'years of systemic abuse by cops' is caused 43 murders of black men in Baltimore last month.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:

For "years of systemic abuse" read "years of trying to enforce the law" and protect the innocent. That's the reality and the much of the inner city black community doesn't like it.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:31 PM

21,140 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am waiting for people like you to prove that all lives matter by going to Brightmore and standing with a sign pledging your anguish at all the black homicides in the city of Detroit. Where is all the white people rallying and marching against the homicides in the black community and how you all want to make a person sacrifice to see and end to it....other than building more prisons and supporting an over zealous police state that chooses to shoot to kill as a FIRST RESORT to any kind of fear or resistance. All lives only matter to you when someone says that "black lives matter"....and you want to continue to discredit the black race at every chance you get, making them seem like people hell bent on denying that THEY, not anyone else, is there own worse enemy.
If I went to Brightmoor (correct spelling of a bad neighborhood in Detroit for those of you who don't know) and held a sign saying "Black people, stop killing each other", what do you suppose would happen?

Old 09-01-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
The Black Lives Movement is HYPOCRITICAL because of how that movement values a life. Here's their thought process:

- a black person is mistreated, injured or killed by police or a non-black person = protests and the threat of riots if immediate action isn't taken to punish the perpetrator

- a black person is mistreated, injured or killed by another black person = no f$cks given. No protests no demands for change NO NOTHING..

- a black person mistreats, injures or kills a non-black person = no f$cks given. Why would they want to highlight the fact that THEY'RE the ones who commit the most interracial crime in America and therefore aren't the victims that they constantly want you to believe that they are?

So basically all BLM matters cares about is fighting the very small percentage of blacks that are harmed or killed by non-blacks or police and caring NOT ONE BIT about the biggest problem that is black on black violence. How UTTERLY STUPID IS THAT?? What kind of crazy logic can justify protesting and getting up in arms ONLY when a non-black person harms a black person?

As I've said before, let's say BLM is 100% successful in changing the way police treat blacks and now law enforcement more or less treats blacks the same as they do anyone else. The question is what's the longterm benefit of this? Blacks are now not harassed or profiled by cops and needlessly questioned by them just because of their skin color.

That's great, but what else? What else is gained out of all this? Are their neighborhoods any less violent and ghetto? Nope. Are blacks treating each other any better as result of police treating them better? Of course not. Are blacks any happier and more peaceful so that their crime and murder rates will drastically go down? Hell no. So again I ask what's the net result? You got your wish and police treat you well now, but SO WHAT? Blacks will STILL have the same crime and murder and other problems as they've always had.

Maybe if they all came together and spent all that time and energy on raising their kids right, fixing their communities and getting rid of the criminals among them, they could have REAL longterm benefits that could genuinely save hundreds if not thousands of black lives from being the victims of murder.

Its blacks THEMSELVES who have turned things into 'us vs them' in this country and everywhere else in the world for that matter. Between blacks vs blacks, blacks vs non-blacks, blacks vs police and blacks vs practically any type of authority. Blacks seem to ALWAYS have a problem with something or someone much like Muslims do.

You tell me how often have blacks ever done things that were inclusive of non-blacks? Tell me how many things have blacks done to build relations between blacks and non-blacks or between blacks and police? Very little if anything. Contrast that to how much effort many non-blacks have put into trying to reach out to blacks and the difference is night and day.
Apparently you see no difference between street violence (a serious but different issue) and taxpayer money used to gun down civilians who don't deserve it.

You big government liberals may not mind your tax dollars flying around killing people, but fiscally responsible folks like me will have none of it.

We can stop State sanctioned murders without having to solve all violence problems. No hypocrisy.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
For "years of systemic abuse" read "years of trying to enforce the law" and protect the innocent. That's the reality and the much of the inner city black community doesn't like it.
Look at the damage that our oppression of Native Americans has done, to this day.

When I talk years of systemic abuse, I'm not talking the last few decades. These scars are deep.

Have some sympathy. Be part of the solution rather than a raging white person who can't relate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies