Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 11:39 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
No problem with that, though she should have simply been fired. Hopefully that clears the way to fire other people that refuse to do the jobs they are hired and paid to do over some silly superstition. Like Muslims that refuse to handle pork products, alcohol or dogs when all those are part of the job.
They can't simply fire her, she is an elected official.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So would your post have read the same years ago when the Supreme Court overruled state bans on interracial marriage?
your NOT GETTING MY POINT

did you NOT SEE this
Quote:
while I disagree with this clerk and the way she is going about it, this ruling diminishes our (all peoples) freedoms
you mention interracial marriage.....I dont CARE who marries who

you cant control the heart... I dont care if its interracial, same sex, or same family

the question here is:
Quote:
why is the government in the business of marriage to begin with???
Quote:
why do people (homo or hetro) need to get PERMISSION and PAY for a piece of paper from the government to profess your love of someone else???
if you have to get permission and pay...then its not a right, its a priviledge

if the government wasnt in the marriage business there would NOT be this issue or the interracial issue of a few decades ago

the government has ZERO business with whom I choose to love or live with

get the government out of the marriage business

Old 09-03-2015, 11:41 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what constitutional RIGHT arew you talking about for gays???

here is a question....why is the government in the business of marriage to begin with???

why do people (homo or hetro) need to get PERMISSION and PAY for a piece of paper from the government to profess your love of someone else??? if you have to get permission and pay...then its not a right, its a priviledge

I love how right wingers who for years supported banning same sex couples for marriage now believe that government has no place in marriage. Sorry to say, it's a right. You stomping your feet like a toddler isn't going to change that fact.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:

here is a question....why is the government in the business of marriage to begin with???

why do people (homo or hetro) need to get PERMISSION and PAY for a piece of paper from the government to profess your love of someone else??? if you have to get permission and pay...then its not a right, its a priviledge

While I completely get your point, the reality is that government is involved, that the County Clerk was acting as a representative of that government, and that she was imposing her personal religious beliefs on the functions of the government office she was in charge of. Since the Constitution forbids the government, and therefore government officials, from establishing or promoting a specific religion and Ms Davis was doing exactly that by insisting that her religious beliefs had to be followed in that government office, she is now facing the consequences. I respect her for her devotion to her beliefs, and I respect that what she was doing was civil disobedience. These are the consequences of her civil disobedience.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:43 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Equal protection under the law. That's long settled.

Quote:
Kicking over the board and yelling "This is a stupid game!" once it's clear you're losing is not something to be respected in an adult.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
No problem with that, though she should have simply been fired. Hopefully that clears the way to fire other people that refuse to do the jobs they are hired and paid to do over some silly superstition. Like Muslims that refuse to handle pork products, alcohol or dogs when all those are part of the job. Or try to wear a mask over their face on company time. You are paid to do the job on the employer's terms. You can go practice your superstitions on your own time.
She was an ELECTED government official.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:44 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Jesus Chrisssssssssssssssst! the ONLY FREEDOM lost here is all the people in her county that have been denied getting a marriage license over the last 2 months.

Gays and straights alike.

Nobody has "lost freedoms" over failures to get their marriage license from her. They have been inconvenienced in that they had to go somewhere else to get them.

I agree however that she is in the wrong-do the frickin' job you are paid to do, or leave. Pretty simple.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:46 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Nobody has "lost freedoms" over failures to get their marriage license from her. They have been inconvenienced in that they had to go somewhere else to get them.
It's more than merely being inconvenienced. Those who were turned away pay taxes to that county and are being denied the services they are paying for and have a right to.

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She was an ELECTED government official.
True. Glad to see that they can be jailed for contempt for failure to do their job.

Now...when does Obama start his sentence? His refusal to do his job in a vast multitude of areas is far more egregious than failing to issue marriage licenses. How about refusing to enforce immigration law, just for a start.

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What do you think could happen to you, I or anyone else if we break the law and defy a Judge's order??
why is there even a judges order for this...why is the government is the marriage bussiness

1st amendment give us the right to freedom of expression....that includes the freedom for expressing our love of someone else

why has the government made it to be where we need permission (a license) and have to PAY for a right

if the government wasnt in all of this..there never would be a need for some judge to interject his/her opinion or ruling... you wouldnt have some stuburn clerk being in the way of someones love

government micromanaging our lives is a loss of freedoms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies