Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Black Lives Matter and aggressive Protests led to more black deaths?
Yes, the murder rate has jumped. 34 75.56%
Not Sure. 4 8.89%
No, I am sure something else caused the spike in inner city murders. 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:59 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
BLM might indirectly contribute to to some of the increased murder rates (especially due to less proactive policing), but it's hard to say for certain.

What your numbers do point out is that BLM is spending so much effort focusing on the police when almost all these murders are black on black crime, yet they have yet to come out full force and march on this issue. In Chicago almost 95% of these murders are black on black crime, yet BLM has never come to Chicago to march about this.

The Hispanic population in Chicago is roughly the same size as the Black population, and on average they live in the same socioeconomic conditions, yet Hispancs have only a fraction of the crime/murders as Blacks. If BLM wanted to have more of an impact they should address these issues in the black community.

Even if they are going to focus on police, they should at least be diplomatic about it. Having roasted pigs at these protests, harmful chants, and disrupting speeches isn't going to get them as far as if they were to have a mature dialogue with police/politicians. The group is so disorganized and lacks leadership.
Why is the rhetoric of the BLM so influential ...and damaging.....while the CONSTANT right wing rhetoric concerning blacks as irresponsible, dumb and violent people not triggering any negative reactions? I can term that the "Black lives are irresponsible and stupid" movement. At least the BLM movement does not have their own TV station that can pump their view points to 300 plus million people daily.

So the police gets called out for overzealous policing, that sometimes takes lives unnecessarily...and putting a negative spot light on the police is creating a negative REACTION in the police. Fine, then you conservatives should realize the power of your rhetoric and the REACTION it creates in the black community from all the problems you are constantly pointing out about blacks. Hey...if your theory is plausible, then it is equally plausible that the bad mouthing and constant chastising of black people by white conservatives is what is contributing to, if not creating, the dysfunction in the black community.

Here is the thing also. I do not see any white people holding any anti-violence rallies or marches in the black community. Why is that.....given the degree that you recognize it as a problem. If you recognize it as the REAL problem....then what are you doing about it? If it is really about "all lives" and not just "black lives" then why should just "black lives" be concerned and protesting against the violence in the black community? If "all lives mattered" then you would not put the burden on blacks lives and black groups to march, protest and demonstrate to help these communities in trouble.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-04-2015 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:11 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
I saw an article that said that black lives matter is criticizing Joe Biden's tough on crime stance in the 1990s. If there's something in the world that makes less sense than that, I don't know what it is.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I saw an article that said that black lives matter is criticizing Joe Biden's tough on crime stance in the 1990s. If there's something in the world that makes less sense than that, I don't know what it is.
If I were you I would not get information second hand or through someone else. It might be true...and it might not be...or maybe it was reinterpreted incorrectly.....or correctly.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 AM

This could be the cause of the rise in homicides in the nation. It was related to a lot of violence in the 70's.

The US is experiencing a 'dramatic rise' in heroin-related deaths, CDC says | The Verge

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/...line/71472986/

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...lined-up-block

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-04-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

Well....they are rising 70% in Flint because last year was an anomaly with a rate not even half what it had been in previous years.

Read what I wrote. I said..."Yes" in St Louise and Baltimore that connection could be made, but not across America in general.

The murder rate is like car accident rates. How can it be that year after year, about the same number of people are killed in traffic accidents in a metro area? A metro area might have 300 traffic related deaths one year, 280 the next, 320 the next. How does that happen. Why close to the same number every year? The same thing with homicides. You think rates would vary widely from year to year, but most of the time they oscillate around the mean. Both traffic deaths and homicides are the product of statistical probability. The world is half male and half female, about, because there is a 50% probability that a birth will produce and male and 50% probability that it will produce a female.

Probabilities for homicide are linked to things like poverty, education, weather, drugs, number of guns, population density, unemployment, policing, the courts, gang membership, etc. When murder rates rise around communities on a national level.....it often has a lot to do with drugs and a new drug or an old drug becoming popular again....like heroin.

I don't think I have ever seen a uniformed police officer stop someone from being murdered. Not that such does not happen....but I think its rare. Uniformed officers that patrol the streets do not prevent that much crime, in my opinion. Where police come in is via plain cloths detective work to arrest people after a murder has been committed. If you do not arrest murderers....they will likely murder again (increasing homicide rates). That is where police work is most related to the murder rate......by getting killers off the street and that is basically the work done by detectives and not the uniformed officers on the street patrolling....and killing unarmed people.

The murder rates will rise if the police do not get killers off the street and a lot of that has to do with the willingness of witnesses to testify and tell police what they know. If the police cannot guarantee the safety of a witness and their family.....they are likely not going to testify.

That said.....I find it interesting that the murder rate actually dropped in many places during the great recession. Maybe there was less demand for recreational drug use when the economy was bad and the drop in demand for drugs led to a drop in violence, which is often related to drugs.

Let's take Baltimore for example.

Baltimore residents say police presence is down.

In Baltimore, Violent Crime Is Up, And Residents Say Police Presence Is Down : NPR

Baltimore Police confirm that there have been less arrests. Police say they feel "afraid" of prosecutions for good-intention mistakes or becoming the next guy all over the media provoking violent protests due to misinformation.

Baltimore Murder Record: Freddie Gray Aftermath

The Result since the protests? "But what’s been happening in Baltimore is different. The number of murders has doubled while shootings are up more than 80%, and most experts say that it’s at least partly linked to a reluctance by police to actively do their jobs."

Old 09-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Let's take Baltimore for example.

Baltimore residents say police presence is down.

In Baltimore, Violent Crime Is Up, And Residents Say Police Presence Is Down : NPR

Baltimore Police confirm that there have been less arrests. Police say they feel "afraid" of prosecutions for good-intention mistakes or becoming the next guy all over the media provoking violent protests due to misinformation.

Baltimore Murder Record: Freddie Gray Aftermath

The Result since the protests? "But what’s been happening in Baltimore is different. The number of murders has doubled while shootings are up more than 80%, and most experts say that it’s at least partly linked to a reluctance by police to actively do their jobs."
You obviously have not read the TWO times that I posted and granted exception to Baltimore and STL.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:17 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If I were you I would not get information second hand or through someone else. It might be true...and it might not be...or maybe it was reinterpreted incorrectly.....or correctly.
I'm sure as sin not talking to anyone who's involved with black lives matters directly. So I'll have to rely on news reports to know what they're up to.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:33 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
There were also less cops shot this year than last year. I think the credit for this should go to Black Lives Matter.

See how that works?
Less killed, not less shot. Aggravated assaults on police officers are up.

(Which includes more than officers being shot, but is the best measure we have of how many are shot.) This likely reflects that officers are being much more proactive in wearing protective armor and less likely to get out of their vehicles.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:57 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Yes. It is obvious to anyone with a brain. So be it. It is not my problem to wring my hands over or fix.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Yes. It is obvious to anyone with a brain. So be it. It is not my problem to wring my hands over or fix.
If that is the case....then they should be fired. Tax payers pay the salaries of the police....and yes....black lives pay taxes also....despite the belief of conservatives. You mean to tell me that the police cannot police if they are not allowed to kill unarmed people? It's like the Clerk in Kentucky....if she cannot do her job she should be fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies